This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Would anyone be interested in a general nappy chat thread?

(1000 Posts)

I can't be the only one with a bit of a nappy obsession.

Can I? [confussed]

ValiumQueen Wed 28-Nov-12 04:20:14

Not finished yet?

PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 12:19:40
PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 12:14:29

I'm not bothered, got loads cos of the woolly hugs! I'm occasionally a twat on here but stand by what i say (and report my posts to mnhq in case i cross the line!) because I'd say it in rl smile

That's the feeling grin

Notgrownupinmyhead Mon 26-Nov-12 11:23:54

Yeah, when you're all cross eyed and feel drunk?! Im normally awake with new boy then too.

They've gone first class so you should have them AM. Theres 3 of 'em.

Im the same on here and RL too so not arsed about outing myself. If I was a secret agent or such like then I would be. Ive only 1 mn'er on my page.

PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 10:23:01

The prefolds are fine during the day, we just can't be doing the faff overnight in that hazy 4am fog when life's all a bit too much. I've put feelers out for a couple of fitteds, and contacted the local library, and once we have more wraps i can prep the night before then whip the dirty one off and swap for an entire clean set.

Fastening with the wrap for now due to lack of nippas <stares hopefully at letterbox>

I have now totally outed myself in certain circles so if you recognise me on fb, drop me a friend request wink

Notgrownupinmyhead Mon 26-Nov-12 10:18:26

Moonin all!!

Bfg, Its a Hoover one that cost £199 which was the insurance replacement when the other decided to catch fire. grin it has a baby cycle on it for nappies. That takes 2 hours so is used at other nappy times. Yeah, the wood burner thing would count, you're using its heat for multiple uses for the same cost.

Ive posted your Nippas Pij, you should get them the moro. grin how was small person last night??

Vq, you sound like you're coping well with all the hoohah thats going on. Is dd getting any better?

I'd just got the babies out of the bath and had just put them in their room ready for the nightly conveyor belt ritual when I heard Ds2 straining. He's got hold of the safety gate still nekked and proceeded to drop a log. I caught it though. Poop catcher. It was only a night or 2 before he did it in the bath.

LeBFG Mon 26-Nov-12 09:55:44

Morning fluff lovers.

Good buy for the rikkis Pidj. You had a deal. I'm totally happy with the Onelifes. Never had a leak even when nappy has been soping wet (after DS has been 'looking after' him). Wrt prefolds, do you fix with the wrap or a nippa? I used muslins a lot in the daytime when there was a lot of changing going on, they wouldn't last longer than 2 hours max but it didn't matter because by that time he had pooed (often, straight after changing him, bless).

Tried an overnight nappy with no success. It didn't leak, but when DH pulled him out of his cot and put him on his knee, pee everywhere. I used a mega-booster too - I suppose it holds the wee a bit like a sponge. As soon as you squeeze - wee. Dunno where to go next.

Notgrownup - you have a fab washing machine. One normal 60 cycle takes mine about 2 hours!!!! I now wash pretty much all the time on 60oC, not very environmentally friendly, though I do dry over a wood burner (does that make up for it??)

VQ - I like your idea of a makeshift side cot. I wonder if I can pursuade my handy DH to fix up something?

NAR4 - it makes sense about the ironing doesn't it? I guess they didn't have decent washing machines back then either. Now, we don't go near bleach, boiling or ironing. Big relief that humans invented labour saving devices [lazy lizard].

ValiumQueen Mon 26-Nov-12 09:47:27

Thank you notgrown the vinegar acts like a softener (sleep deprived)

PP are you not liking the prefolds? When they are small and skinny it is hard getting a good fit.

I love it when disposables leak! Daft really, but it makes all our effort worthwhile.

First night of intentional co-sleeping went ok. With DD2 ill, I need all the sleep I can get. Up once with him, then he was latching on fairly frequently just for comfort I guess. It was like sleeping with a little piranha.

PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 08:17:41

Oh, and his 4am pampers leaked poo <smug>

PurplePidjin Mon 26-Nov-12 08:16:01

Hope they come soon!

Dp's done 3 prefolds and remains unconvinced - neither of us is exactly experienced at this. Might see if any of the fitteds in stash fit the wraps confused

Notgrownupinmyhead Mon 26-Nov-12 07:12:10

Morning VQ. No vinegar used grin
Cold rinse x 2 then, 2 x 60deg cycles with nothing added then another 60deg cycle with half dose of detergent. Ive had a right good sniff and they smell of nothing.

Took 4 hour on my machine using the cotton cycle.

Pidj, that is a bargain!! Ha!!

PurplePidjin Sun 25-Nov-12 22:20:12

3 rikkis £12 grin

ValiumQueen Sun 25-Nov-12 21:44:33

Can you go through the deep clean again please? I have white vinegar.

Notgrownupinmyhead Sun 25-Nov-12 21:40:55

That sounds like a plan VQ grin

Hi Nar, Ive not heard of the ironing, I was in terries and knowing my mum (she irons towels) she would've ironed ours!

Nappies now smell fresh and of nothing after being deep cleaned. Same time next month then!!

NAR4 Sun 25-Nov-12 18:05:20

I used Terry nappies on my four, which saw them right the way through. Needed Muslim to start with though because a bit bulky on newborns.

All mine potty trained really quickly, which I always put down to having used Terries. My youngest was only 18 months when dry day and night.

Will be using them again for number five (due Feb), so have saved a fortune overall on nappies.

Think the whole thing about ironing washable nappies comes from years ago, when hand washing wasn't hot enough to kill germs, so nappies were ironed once dry to sterilize them. They also used to be soaked in nappy bleach before washing, which isn't at all environmentally friendly either. This was in the days before disposables, so mums weren't using them to be environmentally friendly, simply because there was no choice.

ValiumQueen Sun 25-Nov-12 16:21:49

I have been reading old threads on co-sleeping, and have seen you a few times BFG grin

I have come up with a genius solution (I think) three sections of baby dan play pen (have spare) attached to side of bed. I need to crawl in from the bottom, but can lift boy in and out safely. Baby between me and side so not at risk from daddy. Just need to learn how to feed lying on my left. The girls can still crawl up the middle at 5.30, and I can still cuddle DH. I have just enough duvet to cover me, so cannot go on baby, boy in gro bag, my pillow is like lead so needs a conscious effort to move, and baby is at boob level.

I was worried he may never go to a cot so I am reassured.

PurplePidjin Sun 25-Nov-12 15:00:21

I have tesco, pizza, indian, fish and chips and 2x chinese.

I also have iron will power and fuck all money

grin

Notgrownupinmyhead Sun 25-Nov-12 14:58:25

BFG Ive just been thinking about what you said about Colic and it makes sense about the gut. Ds1 had Coleif which does sonething to the Lactose in the milk and it worked instantly so his gut at the time mustn't have been able to deal with the lactose. It took 3 weeks of the screaming before I tried it as nothing else worked. I didnt know what I was doing with him as his instruction book got lost.

Notgrownupinmyhead Sun 25-Nov-12 14:20:06

I read that too BFG about the gut and it'd also said it could be related to spending so long in the womb, I cant remember exactly but it was in the last few months.

DS1 sounded like he was in the most horrendous pain when we went through that stage and with DS3 I put it down to trapped wind as he struggled with feeding and was taking in loads of air. The MW and Dr said it was colic confused

Valium thems are never again goin in the dryer, waste of leccy.

Pidj, if I lived that close to Tesco I would be even fatter.

PurplePidjin Sun 25-Nov-12 12:51:43

It all happened on Day 5 which my mum warned me about for hormones - he's fine now, i expect it was stress hormones in the milk (dn has very complex needs and needs a lot of support; I'm one of few people outside immediate family willing/able to give sil a break. Except now i can't, and i feel guilty for that too!)

Stump is off, we're in fluff! Hurrah! Now i need to work out how to manage on two wraps hmm

LeBFG Sun 25-Nov-12 12:37:19

Everyone likes to go on about colic like it is something we can do something about or cure. It's my belief that what we call colic (baby crying for extended periods) is not caused by anything, just immature guts getting to grips with digesting food. That's why the remedies don't work - only time will sort it out.

I suppose there are other problems to eliminate first: over production of milk (*Pidj*, check out Kellymom for why babies cry on the boob, my DS did this too) and reflux for example. But after this, it's just a matter of tolerating it and comforting when you can. Repeat to self: babies just cry, that's what they do. After winding, changing etc, I would stick baby on breast during these times, for comfort as much as anything. Failing all that, baby got passed to DH who would go for a long walk while I took a nap << this is a great idea (your DH sounds great btw Pidj, much better than mine).

I've been known to post about the risks of co-sleeping VQ so I understand your hesitation. You can buy one of those bed side-cots for the best solution, but if J is your last, seems quite an expense to go to. I did co-sleep, but the list of things to make co-sleeping safe is long and I never followed all to the letter. So we were more risky...but I expect I'll end up doing it again. As Notgrown says, when they study mums and babies, mums never roll on babies esp if you curl around them (most natural position anyway).

I don't remember DS's age (prob 3-4 months?), but do remember the transistion to cot was very easy. I moved him when I felt he was ready for it, and he was because that was the first night he slept for 5 continuous hours (v jealous of all your well behaved newborns wink).

ValiumQueen Sun 25-Nov-12 12:12:05

I quite fancy living over a Tesco.

All my Alva nappies have their PUL intact. They are minky. Not sure if that helps. I do not tumble PUL.

Notgrownupinmyhead Sun 25-Nov-12 10:33:59

Not stressing is so important. When Ive got both babies screaming at me I just ignore the crying, sort one whilst the other waits. Its a noisy house.

Ha ha maybe R didnt like the IL's wink how are you finding it all? The first 3-6w are the worst.

Thats ace you live that close to Tesco! What a lifesaver that'll turn out to be.

PurplePidjin Sun 25-Nov-12 08:51:37

7-10 but literally underneath my flat so very handy!

Colic miraculously cleared up once the ILs had gone (6 hour visit due to distance. I adore them but dniece has asd and i hadn't managed to get round and make the house safe for her so was very on edge esp when stuck in a chair feeding!) and we got to bed.

So, the solution is to stay unstressed and meet the ILs halfway at somewhere the dn's can run around which we'd have done if dp listened to me in the first place smile

Notgrownupinmyhead Sun 25-Nov-12 08:03:29

Either them or the lactation nurse at the hospital. Babies are like old men - bloody fussy at times. grin

Yay for 24hour supermarkets!!

This thread is not accepting new messages.