Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would anyone be interested in a general nappy chat thread?

(1000 Posts)

I can't be the only one with a bit of a nappy obsession.

Can I? [confussed]

PurplePidjin Tue 20-Nov-12 21:33:55

We have breast feeding grin

We also love the stretchy wrap grin

And as soon as we get home I'll give him a fat fluffy bum grin

But first I'm going to enjoy being looked after in the Birth Centre for a few days!

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Tue 20-Nov-12 22:45:30

Hi PP! so glad bf is going well, how's your brand new bbeautiful baby?? being looked after at birth centre sounds lovely, enjoy it, hope you're getting lots of rest (as much as you can with a newborn) and starting to recover from the physical shock of giving birth.

VQ sounds like you're having a stressful time, I assume your mum and DH think they are being helpful, will they take it well if you scream at them gently point out that's not the case...?

thanks and brew to you both!

PurplePidjin Tue 20-Nov-12 23:45:19

He is currently dozing at the boob and cluster feeding! Bring on the milk.

Can't believe he's nearly 2 whole days old!

VQ, thinking of you thanks

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 21-Nov-12 11:24:34

VQ run away and hide!!!!!!! Thats the kind of thing my mum does.

2days old already? Crikey, where does the time go??

I too am rather impressed with my China cheapies, they last just as long as the well known ones. I am also really liking Dudeybaba ones, cheap and you can adjust the waist and leg separately. They're based in the UK and I think they're about £5 per nappy.

DS2 has just started walking uh oh.

Glad everything is going well for you Pidj grin i didnt mind the newborn stage and cant believe 3 is 9 weeks old already!!

VQ if you lived in Manc you could've escaped to my zoo. Noisy but theres always tea. grin

PurplePidjin Wed 21-Nov-12 21:07:32

We're home - next bum will be fluffy!!!

Notgrownupinmyhead Wed 21-Nov-12 22:01:10

Huzzah!!! Biscuits, brew, baby and bed!!!!

PurplePidjin Wed 21-Nov-12 22:51:44

He's in fluff - prefold in thirds lengthways with back folded out and corners brought round front (hope it's tight enough to stay put!) and front doubled over, plain white Cotton Bottoms wrap in 4-11lb on tightest setting (applix, fortunately) all cloth tucked in to legs...

We Shall See!!

PurplePidjin Thu 22-Nov-12 06:34:59

The bulk has made his stump bleed sad so sposies it is until that's out the way!

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 22-Nov-12 14:11:08

Poor Pidjchick's little stump, we were given some powder stuff for DD which sort of dried it up and I think was antiseptic too, maybe your mw / HV will have some? V exciting he's already had a fluffy bum! How long did the prefold last? Any explosions?

My blueberry wraps have arrived! DD seems to like them, she 'helped' open the parcel and was excited to see the monkeys and giraffes. I haven't tried them out on her yet though. They seem quite light and thin, not as thick material as the bummis wrap I have which I really like. Softer than the onelife ones. Lots of poppers everywhere, I'll have to see if I can get a good fit and report back...

BiscuitCrumbsInBed Thu 22-Nov-12 14:12:17

Love Notgrownup's 4 Bs, very good advice! grin

PurplePidjin Thu 22-Nov-12 15:31:46

5 hours overnight smile he currently weighs 5lb8oz so the smallest ones have a lot of layers all folded up! No leaks, no poosplosions wink

I'm currently three B's and S for Sofa grin

LeBFG Thu 22-Nov-12 18:17:50

Ah yes - totally forgot about the stump. It's normally out of the way in a week. Sounds like you're doing really well Pidj. You settled in at home now?

PurplePidjin Thu 22-Nov-12 18:39:18

All settled, mw visited this afternoon - spot of jaundice, completely normal. Dp needs to hurry up though - sent him up for a nap at half two and he's still sleeping. I'm waiting for him for dinner!

ValiumQueen Thu 22-Nov-12 19:29:30

PP it is very tiring for these partners grin. DS had a bleeding cord / stump for a good 3 weeks. The Huggies nappies have the cut out for the cord, but as his bum was bleeding it was so sore, he went onto washables early as it was the lesser of two evils. Also Huggies leaked frequently.

DS is having good and bad days. I actually got a bit of sleep last night so hoping things are going to improve. I am still washing nappies, but just for the boy. DD is in disposables for a while.

PurplePidjin Thu 22-Nov-12 19:43:58

He did the whole night, i don't begrudge him a nap - he bought me 5 precious hours between feeds, in only two lots! He's a diamond and i couldn't imagine a better person to do this with.

I scavenged 5 mins between feed and realisation he was in his moses basket to grab a jacket potato, a slice of bread and some of the chicken curry dp put in the slow cooker thus morning. Starting with mopping up the sauce with the bread i managed to eat one handed and cuddle with the other. Bye bye table manners, but I'm fed grin and a whole 100g bar of chocolate oops

ValiumQueen Sat 24-Nov-12 11:45:19

Chocolate is good for increasing supply. Honest. Dose is 100g PRN.

Now have a zebra and Dalmatian print Alva nappy. I love them!

PurplePidjin Sat 24-Nov-12 19:43:02

envy I can't wait for the stump to go so i can fluff him! Bought another pack of despicables today, hope that jinxes it grin

ValiumQueen Sat 24-Nov-12 20:21:32

Week to 10 days. Is there a softer nappy you could try? I can imagine the prefolds are not overly squishy.

Notgrownupinmyhead Sat 24-Nov-12 20:38:23

Ive got them nippas, 5 of them. I will post them. I waited til stumpy healed before I used fluff too. Sounds like you are both doing just fine!!

Hows the boy Valium? Are you ok?

Morning Biscuits and BFG!!

ValiumQueen Sat 24-Nov-12 20:50:09

Boy is fab, thank you. Mummy is driving herself potty worrying about co-sleeping and risk of SIDS and squishing. I am hoping he will sleep in his cot tonight. DD2 is coughing like a very coughy person tonight, so hoping she will sleep.

Boy is happy in pink nappies, and the LL OSFA fit well now. The Alva nappies are fab too. Bit disappointed in the LL bamboo size 1 as they need 2 boosters and still leak at night occasionally, just through sheer volume of pee. Had him weighed yesterday - 10lb 7 at 4 weeks, so very happy. He is too big for newborn stuff now, especially with a fluffy bum.

I am looking forward to getting a bit of a normal life back soon. Feeding seems to be settling into a little routine, and it fits well with the school run etc. I wish I could get the little darling to sleep in his own cot though. He managed it for two nights, then had a growth spurt which I thought was wind.

Notgrownupinmyhead Sat 24-Nov-12 21:50:38

You do sound alot betterer. The little chubbygloves!! Ive just compared the Alva nappies with the lot of 10 I bought off someone who had them a week and they are Alva so look out for the PUL coming away but they do still work and Ive stopped tumbling them. I have the mother of all clothes airers grin that fits 2 machine loads and I can space the fluff out on it great.

Do you just have your pillow in bed and nothing on chubbers side?

I read somewhere about positions for co-sleeping and you've to sleep with your legs bought up in the foetal position on your side obviously to help with the rolling over.

I do like the Alva baby and have just read that some people are putting their labels in and selling them at a higher price over here!! They were named and shamed too. Brilliant.

PurplePidjin Sat 24-Nov-12 21:50:43

Cash i don't have, vq, he'll have to wait a few days. Thanks, NotGrown, they'll be needed soon! Is there a charity i can pop a donation to in return?

Major colic issues here, takes 10 minutes to get him to latch because he needs winding. Wtf am i doing wrong?

Notgrownupinmyhead Sat 24-Nov-12 22:11:19

Check out the N series of Alvas! I need them.

Notgrownupinmyhead Sat 24-Nov-12 22:16:54

FSIDS or Tommys. Anything baby related. grin

Colic is horrific. Luckily theres loads of stuff out there but cant help with anything booby related sad

With boy 1 i used Coleif and that worked but he screamed for 6 hours straight everynight at the same times. Boy 3 I used Infacol as his was no where near as bad and cried on and off for a few hours.

You aint doin nuffink wrong you just might need ti change the way your'e doing it. grin is he getting the burps up ok?

PurplePidjin Sat 24-Nov-12 23:15:46

He only cries when he gets a nipple in his mouth. Sent dp to tesco downstairs but they only have stuff suitable from 3 months. He reckons bottles so I've dunked the pump in milton, but that doesn't solve the refusal to suck!

I'm trying loads of angles, both with him across my front and under my arm. Would LLL or someone be able to help, it's not really a bf issue as such?

This thread is not accepting new messages.