This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards.

Would anyone be interested in a general nappy chat thread?

(1000 Posts)

I can't be the only one with a bit of a nappy obsession.

Can I? [confussed]

LookAtHerGo Mon 09-Jul-12 11:25:16

Oooh. Hello everyone. Another cloth nappy lover here. We're using little lambs on DD (10mth) and I'm pg with number 2 so will be getting loads of use out of them! grin DD is only a teeny tot so still has a long way to go before we need the size 2

StellaAndFries Mon 09-Jul-12 11:28:22

SarryB just putting the nappies on the airer infront of the window should help with the nappy stains, in winter I quite often had nappies on the windowsills to grab as much UV light as possible!

blossombath Mon 09-Jul-12 11:34:06

agree windows and window sills great for stains, and I love my cheeky wipes sarry did you get the lavender and chamomile drops? I love the smell, but wonder if it will be strong enough to still overpower the poo when DS is on solids hmm

LookAtHerGo which type of little lambs do you use? Nappy lady has them on offer at the moment and was thinking of getting some microfibre ones but not sure how absorbent they would be. Oh and congrats on being pg, when are you due?

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Mon 09-Jul-12 12:20:40

I really like the microfibre LLs (I indulged in the sesame yesterday!). I find them pretty absorbent for my wee pee-er and haven't ha a leak yet. Also, I like having a mix of different types and having a few rapid dryers to hand.

LeBFG Mon 09-Jul-12 14:41:15

DS was born in March last year and I had researched to death all the nappies, priced them up etc. Now I've been looking again, I can't believe how cheap some of the nappies are and all the wonderful new modern materials. I'm in shock awe with the choice. There's something for everyone.

If I had my buying time again I would buy more variety to begin with. Would have more nappies that dry quickly. Would have bought more poppered nappies and wraps. Would have moved over to SIO or AIOs sooner.

Can't wait to start again with next DC! I shall definately need some XS sandy's.

LookAtHerGo Mon 09-Jul-12 15:08:02

blossom we have the microfibre and the bamboo ones. Use bamboo for the night as a rule, she went through a very wet phase a while back where we needed 2 boosters, but now using 1 and no leaks. Next one is due in February, at that worrying waiting for the scan stage, next week, keeping fingers firmly crossed.

I love the LLs, they aren't mega bulky, easy to put on and my DP does the washing wink we couldn't use them initially as they seemed to swamp my LO, but she was only 6lb9 born, but they've been great. We've already got the size 2 nappies ready, bought a load when they were on offer.

SarryB Mon 09-Jul-12 21:59:03

blossom, I got the mandarin drops, they smell lovely.

I got my eBay cheapies today, they came with very thin bamboo inserts which I have very little faith in. But the nappies themselves seem lovely, they're very soft both inside and out. LO is currently sleeping in one, so we'll see how it's held up when I wake him for his next feed.

blossombath Tue 10-Jul-12 09:33:42

hmmm, so now the decision is whether to invest in some LLS and new wraps before our holiday (want a few more nappies so I can wash every third day while away) or a wizard duo for the night time....

btw can anyone recommend any good wraps apart from motherease and tots bots?

sarryb how was DS in the ebay cheapie?

fingers crossed for scan lookather, takes me back to this time nearly a year ago when I had just found out I was pregnant with DS - can't wait to be pg again, if only to buy some newborn nappies.

thanks for advice lebfg, I always waver between wanting to use SIO and AIOs lots and somehow feeling they are cheating - guess cos my sister used two parters with her boys thats what I'm used to and what I think of as 'real' nappies. But I do love an AIO for going out and about.

LeBFG Tue 10-Jul-12 09:39:07

How were the nappies sarryb? They sound lovely.

I love my LL wraps blossombath. They are lovely and stretchy - I like the bold colours - never leaked either. I even prefer the fit to motherease rikkis.

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Tue 10-Jul-12 18:56:27

blossom, I'm not keen on the Totsbots wraps (prefer gusseted legs) or LL ones (leave red marks on my chunky-thighed DD) but I really like the Thirsties Duo one I have. I think the sizing is off a bit - it seems really pretty small - but works brilliantly. I'm also waiting on a Bummis superbrite on recommendation, which also has leg gussets and has soft lining round the leg elastic.

SarryB Tue 10-Jul-12 23:47:19

The eBay Cheapies...surprisingly good! I used a Flip microfibre insert instead of the very thin bamboo one that came with them, and it lasted about 3 hours.
They are a bit loose around his thigh, so I'm expecting a leak at some point. They washed well, and didn't take long to dry either. I'll test them overnight at some point, and we haven't done the poo containment test either!

LeBFG Thu 12-Jul-12 08:37:10

They sound great Sarry. Keep us updated. I may well have to trial a few!

We've had a wet patch and, as we've no source of heating (other than the oven), I moved over to disposables for a day. It was a good reminder - DS always develops a red bottom within hours of wearing disposables, I used to use barrier cream every day. Cloths are soooo good. Fortunately, he's back in them today so redness should clear up.

The red's come out of my nappies (great phew of relief - thanks again Wicket)

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Thu 12-Jul-12 12:18:58

Oh, I'm glad it worked! smile

DD is the same - proper sensitive bum. We've just been in disposables for a week on holiday and she's been bright red the whole time. A couple of cloth nappies later and happy days grin

SarryB Thu 12-Jul-12 12:24:41

Okay, more on the eBay Cheapies. LO spent the whole night in one, with a Flip microfibre insert, from about 10pm till 7am. No leaks! The inside layer remained really dry, aside from one spot at the front, which is brilliant considering the insert was absolutely wringing wet!
He did have red marks on the front of his thighs though, and his bum crack was full of fluff from the inside layer.

These are the ones I've bought:
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/320818371186?var=510068117921&ssPageName=STRK:MEWNX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1497.l2649

LeBFG Thu 12-Jul-12 14:06:03

Sarry, did you buy bamboo nappies too and with the minky or PUL cover?

notcitrus Thu 12-Jul-12 14:33:20

Hello, was going to ask about best place to sell, but that's been covered. Unless any of you need some lovely totsbots and other wraps for newborns? smile

Dd is 5 months and just outgrown all the size 1 nappies. She's mainly wearing Mothereases which have been on 5 babies before her, including ds. So very Eco friendly despite weather meaning I've tumble dried nappies for the first time ever - house was smelling of damp clothes!

I love MEs and similar. I have never had a poo leak incident with them, so suspect they save on clothes laundry compared to disposables!

SarryB Thu 12-Jul-12 14:48:37

lebfg - just the PUL ones - they came with 2 thin bamboo inserts each. I liked the prints better for a boy. I may buy a couple of the minky or bamboo ones too, but have to wait for payday smile

I've also been looking at a couple of other sellers on eBay. There's a Chinese seller who has sales that you bid on, starting at 99p for 65 (yes, 65!) nappies with 65 inserts! They have smaller amounts too.

blossombath Fri 13-Jul-12 09:09:24

Thanks for update sarry, that's pretty good performance, though I smile at the thought of your LO's bum all full of fluff!

wicket do you (or anyone else) use the Thirsties duo nappie? Seems a shame to get a wrap without the matching nappy...

LO is just on the edge of size1/2 for most nappies so I'm in a bit of limbo - don't want to buy him any more size 1s, but the wait for Size2 is just giving me more to research options and then can't decide which I prefer.

thinking of putting nappies on my birthday and christmas list this year. I think this makes me officially a cloth-loser

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Fri 13-Jul-12 10:41:59

grin at nappies on your Christmas list!

No, I haven't used Thirsties nappies. I quite like mixing and matching wraps!

SarryB Fri 13-Jul-12 10:45:40

I've only used one-size nappies so far, as I really don't want to have to buy ones in bigger sizes. Plus, if I have another baby in a year or so, the nappies will be interchangeable between the two.

blossombath Mon 16-Jul-12 10:30:48

Yeah most of my nappies are one size sarry, it's the wraps and these much coveted Wizard Duos that are sized and annoying me.

This weekend we tried the Real Easy nappy from Hip Hip, on wicket's recommendation - brilliant on the dryness test but no poo testing so far.
However am am sticking to two parters for a bit after a classic poo leak this weekend when we tried a new liner which didn't quite fit the Easyfit nappy and LO smeared a big semi circle of poo round his play-mat whilst practicing his roll/wriggle moves.

Today he has made it right round onto his tummy <proud mum of PFB>

LookAtHerGo Fri 20-Jul-12 07:46:55

So you know I mentioned I'm pregnant....

Well it's twins!

Lol. That's going to require a LOT more nappies!

TheWicketKeeperIsDown Fri 20-Jul-12 09:03:15

Wow! Congratulations!

ValiumQueen Mon 23-Jul-12 10:32:10

Permission to join please?

I have used washables for my first two - fuzzibunz, the old style in separate sizes. Only used them until about 1 year as nursery would not use them. They now do, so I plan to reuse for DC3, due in October.

I may treat myself to some new ones, so looking for ideas. Particularly needing tips for night time, as mine were such heavy wetters I resorted to pampers overnight at about 6months.

DD2 is 2, and I am on mat leave already, so thinking of putting her back in cloth too.

I have just broken my leg though, so will not be doing it until out of plaster.

SarryB Sun 29-Jul-12 13:06:26

Update on the eBay Cheapies...LO did a poo in one yesterday! He poos very infrequently (maybe once every 5/6 days), so they do tend to be a bit big when they do come! It ended up coming out of one leg hole. I think that if his legs filled the holes better, it wouldn't have exploded out. It didn't come out of the back either (classic problem with disposables). I haven't had wee leak out of them yet.

At night (7pm till 7am) I've been using a Flip cover, with a microfibre insert and a bamboo booster underneath. Works a treat!

This thread is not accepting new messages.