Note: This topic is for discussing nappies. If you want to buy or sell reusable nappies, please use our For Sale/Wanted boards. Please feel free to report buying and selling in this topic. Thanks, MNHQ.

Would anyone be interested in a general nappy chat thread?

(1000 Posts)

I can't be the only one with a bit of a nappy obsession.

Can I? [confussed]

mummysmellsofsick Sun 25-Mar-12 17:54:52

Oh yeah, is it cloth nappies? I love them... so pleased with the new bamboozles in lovely colours I bought 4...

People keep saying to me that cloth nappies aren't as green as they seem. Does anyone have any figures? I'm sure they must be greener than disposables confused

gemma4d Sun 25-Mar-12 18:20:49

Environmental impact: Its all in how you look at it.

They did a study into cloth nappies and assumed that they were washed at 60 degrees, nappy covers washed SEPARATELY at 40 degrees, both with large doses of washing powder, and then all tumble dried. Turns out it was terrible for the environment (shock horror). Realistically more people wash everything at 40 with half a measure of washing powder and plenty even <brace yourself> line dry ! Can't be arsed to dig out the info I'm afraid, it was mentioned on all the big "nappy sites" (clothnappytree / twinkle on the web maybe?)

Does anyone have any info on the impact of water being taken out of general circulation by being locked into nappies which won't biodegrade for at least 500 years (in an anaerobic environment ie landfill)? Saw mention of it a while ago and have been meaning to google it.

I'm a wonderoo person by the way (after Kissaluv sz s0s). I would really like to try the new wonderoos but can't justify the expense - my current nappies are on their second child and still look like new.

swampster Sun 25-Mar-12 23:20:12

I think this is a link to the daft original Environment Agency report.

This study assumed that some people ironed their nappies. hmm

The less publicised revised study said:

"1) Unlike the previous study where 9.5 per cent of users were estimated to iron nappies, ERM has assumed there is no ironing in this assessment." Here.

Flawed Impact Studies Review - interesting opinion piece.

And here is Leo Hickman in the Grauniad.

Leo demolishes the Environment Agency report.

gemma4d Mon 26-Mar-12 19:59:43

<snort> errr.... but of course I iron my nappies... doesn't everyone? I always do them just before I iron my pot plants - can't stand crinkly microfibre OR crinkly leaves!

mummysmellsofsick Mon 26-Mar-12 21:56:25

Oh thanks Gemma and Swampster that's great <awards self green brownie points> Leo Hickman is great.

I'm mainly a Bum Genius mum myself (not sure how to chat about nappies, OP what kind of chat did you have in mind?)

swampster Mon 26-Mar-12 22:11:35

Oooh, mummysmellsofsick - can I call you MSS? Back in the day there used to be a very lively General Chat For Cloth Nappy Users thread that ran for quite a few threads. It was populated by a bunch of lunatic nappy whores addicted to the fluffy stuff really lovely people, of which I was one.

we talked about... errrrm... nappies! grin

There were some very prolific posters, many of whom I am still in touch with on FB and I have even met one in the flesh! My nappy days are almost over. My eldest is 8, youngest is 3 and only in nappies at night. Even my middle son who is almost 6 had his first dry night with no nappy/pull-up and no alarm last night.

There are some seriously nappy-addicted people out there - if you don't belive me go have a look on clothnappytree or clothnappyaddicts!

violetwellies Mon 26-Mar-12 22:20:03

Ooh oooh me, Please. I have an awful nappy addiction. Sadly ds will be an only or things would be a lot worse. I have loads of second hand nappies. And have only ever bought one new one. Do admit to biting half a dozen new, snap in boosters for my motherease, and a couple of new wraps, well maybe more than a couple of wraps grin

violetwellies Mon 26-Mar-12 22:22:34

Buying. Not biting bloody phone

swampster Mon 26-Mar-12 22:26:04

I have a shocking pile of nappies I really should rehome but I still love them. I am the Mr Trebus of Nappydom.

swampster Mon 26-Mar-12 22:26:25

Preferred biting.

mummysmellsofsick Tue 27-Mar-12 07:49:41

Yes swampster you may call me MSS smile

I lurked on the nappylady for the whole of August trying to decide which ones were the best before DS was born. If only I'd have had some nappy biting / loving friends like you ladies to talk to. I'm assuming you are ladies but my DH loves the nappies as much as I do so I shouldn't make assumptions really. I didn't fancy second hand for my pfb, although now I wouldn't mind.

swampster Tue 27-Mar-12 10:14:42

For second hand - aka preloved or even preshat - Cloth Nappy Tree is very good as is Natural Mamas which is primarily slings but has loads of other stuff and is a lovely forum. There's also The Used Nappy Company which suffers from a very ugly name )IMO) and is very slow to load.

For info and chat and loads of WAHM stuff there is also Cloth Nappy Addicts. I don't think preloved nappies feature there.

If you can handle the hunnies and glitzy tickers, Babycentre has some lively cloth chat and I'm sure Nethuns does too.

Be warned though, some of the nappy forums are very heavily policed and the moderators can seem somewhat overzealous to those used to the freedom that is Mumsnet.

swampster Tue 27-Mar-12 10:15:19

There are also various Facebook cloth groups.

mummysmellsofsick Tue 27-Mar-12 13:18:35

Ooh natural mamas is lovely. I'm going to wander off over there for a while... thanks swampster

violetwellies Wed 28-Mar-12 15:51:06

So how much greener are my pre loved nappies? And since Ive never owned or knowingly used a tumble drier, does that make me very virtuous orsimply okay.
tbh I don't get the separate wash thing as everything ds has worn tendsto go in together, sometimes his fathers underwear goes in as well grin

mummysmellsofsick Fri 06-Apr-12 20:45:30

violetwellies you are awesomely green. I award you some green wellies. Although my DH says washing your DH's underwear with nappies is manky grin

bagpuss Fri 06-Apr-12 22:31:15

Swampster grin.

Missing the cloth nappy chat thread on here. It stopped just over a year ago.

I am still happily clothing my dts who are 2.6 so have literally months left before daytime cloth is no more. I am happy to hang around and advise having spent far too much money on used a wide variety of different styles of nappy during my time.

swampster Sat 07-Apr-12 13:59:38

Well hello there Bagpuss!

I think the death of the cloth nappy chat was 4andnotout's littlest DD potty training. She was utterly dedicated to fluff. Oh, and treedelivery going back to work.

violetwellies Sat 07-Apr-12 21:05:12

Mummysmells, manky it definitely is, poor ds grin

SarryB Mon 02-Jul-12 13:52:11

Hey...I'm resurrecting this thread!

I've got a 10 week old LO, and so far just one pack of Flip nappies...but I can feel an obsession building! I have 6 wraps and 18 stay-dry microfibre inserts. But I need more! More I tell you!!

LeBFG Wed 04-Jul-12 09:46:43

There definately used to be a lot more interest in cloth nappies on here! I've resurrected my obession with cloth nappies after a break of 6 months or more - so I'll join you SarryB. No one else in RL understands!!! I've never used the Flips - does this system work well? I would worry about poo spillage. Do they go overnight too?

When DS was newborn (he was prem so didn't start cloths til he was 2mo), we used fitted two-part system (after hanging out too at Nappy Lady) bamboo Little Lambs and Bambinis from Nature Babies. I found the LL were a weird fit actually and the leaked a lot at night. Plus the elastic went very quickly.

Now DS is older (16m) and the size 1's above still fit (just) but the aplix rub his belly and thighs. I've recently splurged out on on second hand Diddy micros but annoyingly, they don't dry as quickly as I'd thought they would. Another splurge was 6 itti bittis which are fab - second hand again, and just over 6 quid each, really cheap (so smug). He sleeps in brand new Wizard Duos and these are really REALLY good.

SarryB Wed 04-Jul-12 13:18:48

The Flips are ok - I've found that the inserts do tend to shift about a bit as there's no poppers to hold them in place, but the poo is always contained within the cloth at least, which is a hell of a lot better than disposables!
They go quite well overnight - with just one insert, it will last around 5 hours. I've had only one leak so far, and that was when I was so bloody sleep deprived that I had done it up a bit too loose.

I certainly like the covers, and I think they'd work well with any cloth nappy like terry or prefolds - although I haven't tried flat nappies before.

I've just bought 3 eBay pocket cheapies, with 6 bamboo inserts - I think it was about £15 altogether. I do keep searching on eBay everyday for preloved bargains!

Kelbells Wed 04-Jul-12 19:00:36

Hello ladies,

Just marking my place and reading with interest... Not quite ready to join yet as my first DC isn't due until October so no experience to share until then. I've got some totsbots teenyfits, easyfits and bamboozles to start with (which are currently being prewashed as we speak) but I do see mixed reports of them so I can see a quest might be about to begin!!!

swampster Wed 04-Jul-12 23:18:07

I still love my fluff. Still on one nappy a night. And the new Easyfits are still my favourites. He can use a well-boosted one all night now he's not peeing so phenomenally much.

This thread is not accepting new messages.