Talk to me about nanny sharing.......

(5 Posts)
GourmetChild Wed 23-Nov-16 21:03:43

We're thinking of a nanny share for DS when he turns one and I go back to work.

DS is our first so no experience of nannies or nanny sharing.

Any tips or advice on sharing? I like the idea of a playmate rather than DS on his own.

Any really good experiences?

We're in east London, anyone have any clue how much it would cost? And should we go through an agency?

Please help me MN. Whenever I think of going back to work I want to grab my little baby and cry. Feel like I'm letting him down.

So, is nanny sharing the way to go?

Daisiesandgerberas Wed 23-Nov-16 21:31:15

You'll need to be aware of the tax code allocation I think. Also AFAIK the nanny's holiday requests and your stipulation at her having specified time off may clash with the other family.

Pop this over to the childcare section of MN & you'll get plenty of answers smile

firstdatesfear Wed 23-Nov-16 21:46:05

Nanny sharing is good! Obviously there are downsides like having to compromise with another family, arrange holidays around them as well as your nanny and not having autonomy on how you want things done but there are good sides too like your DS having a buddy, cheaper than your own nanny etc.

Cost varies but I'd be expecting to earn around £14 net minimum per hour (between the families) for a share assuming 2 12month olds in my area- South London. Another option may be a nanny with her own child which will be more expensive than a nannyshare but cheaper than your own nanny.

Biggest thing is making sure you get on very well with the other family and you all (obviously) get on very well with the nanny. Communication must be excellent as little things will quickly turn into bigger things. Consider things like needing a double buggy, car seats if the nanny will drive the children and which house will be used (I used to do one month in one house and one in the other when I worked a share and it was perfect).

PippaPug Wed 23-Nov-16 21:53:01

Things to thing of:

* What to do if one child is sick? Does the nanny look after one (if so which one?) and how sick (a cough/cold or chicken pox even if the children have been together and already exposed?)

* Holidays for the nanny how to work it out?

* Nanny share every day or just part time and your child having one to one at the other times

* Do you know anyone to Nanny share with?

*Would you want to do it at your house?

*Double Buggy/two high chairs/Two car seats

* Toddler groups/Classes - do you want your child to go to them? If not what if the other family do?

PippaPug Wed 23-Nov-16 21:53:27

* Things to think of:

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now