Gift for music lover who wants to access more / new music?

(8 Posts)
Jedimum1 Fri 25-Nov-16 19:05:23

Hi,

My DH has hinted that he'd like (for Christmas) to be able to listen to more music and discover new music. I'm taking the suggestion as a subscription to some music provider? I have no clue and I can only think of Amazon Unlimited. We haven't got an iPhone or anything from Apple, I assume iTunes is out of the window. What can I buy? Is there anything out there that would give him access to an insane amount of indie music, including new bands? Is there anything new to listen on the go? Or at home?

Thank you so much for your help!

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 25-Nov-16 19:16:01

Spotify, Google Play. Both are subscription based and you can download music onto Android or Apple phones etc.

Jedimum1 Fri 25-Nov-16 19:57:24

Thank you smile I'll have a look at those two. Can you get anything there? Do they have any feature to discover new music?

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 25-Nov-16 20:28:31

Here's a screenshot of my home page (personal details pixellated). You can browse by genre, band name, decade etc.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 25-Nov-16 20:31:16

It's Google Play by the way!

When you look at an artist or band, it recommends others you may like. For example, I just looked for Muse, and got this:

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Fri 25-Nov-16 20:33:16

There's also a "feeling lucky" option which plays things based on your history.

I don't know how good it is for random unknown bands though, because it would need to be a group or artist with a record contract of course.

Jedimum1 Fri 25-Nov-16 21:02:22

That's so helpful! I'll get that one then! Thank you so much! smile

Jedimum1 Fri 25-Nov-16 21:04:13

There should be a kudos / helpful button in mumsnet, I'd give you a +1 if it existed! Thanks again smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now