What is this piece of music???!!

(8 Posts)
basketofironing Wed 16-Nov-16 06:14:44

I've woken up with a piece of music stuck in my head and have no idea what it's called/where I have heard it before.

It's a violin/string piece, I'm assuming fairly modern. Definitely 20th century (unless it's a reworking of an older piece).
The best way I can describe it is that it brings to mind an idyllic paradise-like setting, quite romantic. It's not tropical sounding though, if that makes sense.
It begins with a longer note, followed by four shorter notes then rise then fall back to original note, then four that rise to a higher note then three that fall quickly lower than the original. That's probably a very confusing explanation. Sorry. And I may well be remembering it wrong.
I'm sure it's been used in film before but just can't place it!

Any suggestions?

Tiredstressed Wed 16-Nov-16 06:17:51

Adagio for Strings - Barber?

ellesbellesxxx Wed 16-Nov-16 06:21:14

Tired stressed you thought the same as me!

basketofironing Wed 16-Nov-16 06:21:47

Thanks but no. It's more...upbeat. Not quite as melancholy feeling as that.

fluorine19 Fri 18-Nov-16 22:12:41

Lark ascending by Vaughan Williams?

basketofironing Sat 19-Nov-16 19:43:54

After a few days of feeling like I was losing my mind, I found it!

https://youtu.be/JlcRXfuALQ8

basketofironing Sat 19-Nov-16 19:45:20

It's Young Love by Elmer Bernstein from the film A Summer Place

Ferguson Thu 24-Nov-16 20:20:00

I'm glad you found it eventually.

However, the original, and better version (slightly slower) was by the Canadian, Percy Faith orchestra. He is often credited with popularising 'easy listening' or mood music.

Another, similar sound you might like is the Ray Conniff orchestra and singers; he used singers as one of the 'sections' in the band, and did that better than anyone else. Plenty on YouTube!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now