Any Northern Soul fans on here?

(11 Posts)
donajimena Sat 12-Nov-16 20:33:37

Just that really. Only been into it for around a year and I'm hooked. I'm a bit too young to have been into it the first time around but my partner introduced me to it and its changed my life.

donajimena Sat 12-Nov-16 20:59:30

Shall I 'stomp' off into isolation? grin

Ferguson Mon 14-Nov-16 19:12:20

What IS "Northern Soul"??

Arrowminta Mon 14-Nov-16 19:16:19

I love it and enjoying the revival. There were some seriously good tunes they discovered in the mid 70's.

mudandmayhem01 Mon 14-Nov-16 19:16:53

Not massively into but a lovely guy at work is obsessed with it, goes to lots of weekenders and looks in great shape from all that dancing! I like listening to Craig Charles funk and soul show on 6 music though.

flamingnoravera Mon 14-Nov-16 19:20:21

Me! I am a NSoul fan from the 70s. Do you listen to Craig Charles on Saturday nights?

My fave ever track is I get my kicks out on the floor by Dobie Gray. I have to dance when I hear it. I become 14 again.

TheGirlOnTheLanding Mon 14-Nov-16 19:24:33

I'm a bit of a fan. Can't claim to know about it, but DH has loved it since he was fifteen and we met at a northern club (and had a few tracks played at our wedding, including our first song) so I'm very sentimental about it! I started by buying some Kent compilations initially, but with everything on YouTube it's much easier (and cheaper) than it used to be to find the stuff you like even though DH is a vinyl purist and would be horrified at me saying that.

3catsandcounting Mon 14-Nov-16 19:29:26

Me!! Well, not massively into but I was born and bred in the NW (still here) and it was just part of my youth and has remained so (I grew up in the 70s - I'm old!) My friends and first boyfriend were huge fans, and NS nights are still very much a thing here.
Whenever I hear a tune it still sends shivers down my spine.
I still have a few LPs in the loft! smile

hippyhippyshake Mon 14-Nov-16 19:29:47

Don't know much about it but 'Skiing in the snow' by Wigan's Ovation was one my favourite songs of the 70s. Must watch it again on YouTube

3catsandcounting Mon 14-Nov-16 19:30:45

Oh, and I went to a Craig Charles Funk & Soul night not long ago in Preston. Was brilliant!

NashvilleQueen Mon 14-Nov-16 19:33:13

I don't know any of the songs per se but have a few compilations. Love the sound. I was too young first time around but remember being enthralled by people who could do the dancing. Might have to get the talcum powder on the kitchen floor tonight

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now