What music does your 7 year old boy like?

(14 Posts)
WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sat 01-Aug-15 11:00:17

DS has started expressing an interest in music and asked if he can have some downloaded to his tablet.

Apart from the Lego movie song and 'happy' I have no idea what he'd like. He's mostly subject to radio 2 at home.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Sat 01-Aug-15 11:00:53

Sorry, having app issues so couldn't finish post. Any suggestions welcome!

Diamondsmiles Sat 01-Aug-15 11:01:23

Now 90 and everything on Friday Download.

AtAmber Sat 01-Aug-15 11:03:12

David Bowie and The Beatles. He's very influenced by his 16 year old brother. He used to like Oli Murs and Michael Jackson.

jimblejambles Sat 01-Aug-15 11:19:02

Ds2 is into rock music (mainly inspired by wwe wrestlers entrance music)

Ferguson Sat 01-Aug-15 19:46:50

So . . . get him a Keyboard, and let him learn to PLAY music, not just listen to it!

And a PROPER keyboard, 61 full size keys. Our DS started on our electronic organ at two, and was starting to read music and talk about it by five or six. By seven or eight he would play the theme from Thurderbirds, by ear. One of his favourite bands was Weather Report:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=i8q6sR6yZCE

And his secondary school band played this version (though not quite so well.):

www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcEKAWZ1Nbk

And don't forget, The Proms is on Radio 3 EVERY DAY at the moment, and on TV sometimes on a Friday.

meglet Sat 01-Aug-15 23:56:38

kasabian
ed sheeran

CordeliaFoxx Sun 02-Aug-15 00:19:21

Same as jimblejambles, WWE inspired. I have also introduced them to Oasis, Blur, Pulp and all the great 90s. They love Green Day too as they are used on WWE

CordeliaFoxx Sun 02-Aug-15 00:20:46

Ferguson wanting to listen to music, and wanting to play music are entirely different things!

Ferguson Sun 02-Aug-15 20:16:25

Yes, of course they are different, I don't dispute that.

But it can OFTEN follow that someone who ENJOYS listening (and I mean 'listening', not just having it in the background) might want to have a go themselves.

And seven is an ideal age to start; I have lost count of the number of children I have introduced to playing - keyboards, recorder, percussion - during twenty-five years in primary schools.

EnolaAlone Sun 02-Aug-15 20:43:05

Sam Smith. Mark Ronson. Hozier. Arctic Monkeys. Kasabian.

weebarra Sun 02-Aug-15 20:46:36

Red hot chilli peppers, Jake Bugg, Adele.

WhatWouldTheDoctorDo Mon 03-Aug-15 16:56:24

Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. I don't think he's seen Friday download so will introduce him to that.

Fergusson, I appreciate you taking the time to post, but he hasn't expressed any interest in learning an instrument. I was really just looking for some ideas for some music for him to listen to.

mewkins Tue 04-Aug-15 21:38:47

Dd is a little younger but loves Florence and the Machine and the Maccabees at present. Both have good rhythms and interesting melodies that appeal to her.

Btw agree with pp re the keyboard. Learning an instrument needn't be formal. Many a band is self taught because they hear music they like and want to work out how it's made. Music is so accessible and easy to make once you get an ear for the patterns. Even if there is a guitar or keyboard about to noodle on it is a lot of fun and can really inspire kids to broaden their interests in different styles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now