Really good pop rock music autobiography books?

(32 Posts)
Melissande Tue 14-Jul-15 23:44:12

currently reading Duff McKagans autobiography, and its been a gripping thrilling ride, I had forgotten what a great band Guns N Roses were and Duff (the dude can really write!) McKagans story is quite a good cautionary tale. Its amazing to think how much the music industry has changed since the 80ies!
So what else shall I read? I have read all the INXS, Duran Duran books, (All really good and worth a read) but what else should I not miss? Dont mind different genres of music but would like a good read.

RusholmeRuffian Mon 20-Jul-15 18:24:16

The Dirt by Motley Crüe is very entertaining even if you never liked the band.

Preminstreltension Mon 20-Jul-15 18:28:34

Rod Stewart's is fab. Well ghost written and a real insight into him.

The one that gets really good reviews is by Mark whatnot from the Eels. And I like that band. Certainly he's had a fascinating and shocking life and he's pretty smart. But I preferred Rod!

Pepperpot99 Mon 20-Jul-15 18:31:50

I really liked Bedsit Disco Queen by Tracey Thorn.

mrsfollowill Mon 20-Jul-15 18:33:30

'Scar Tissue' by Antony Kiedis is worth a read. How he is still alive is beyond me!

TheMasterNotMargarita Mon 20-Jul-15 18:35:50

Anthony Kiedis from RHCP.
Bedsit Disco Queen was good as was The Dirt.
Will try to think of more, haven't read this genre for a while.

seaoflove Mon 20-Jul-15 18:40:39

Alex James' book is good.

crispandfruity Mon 20-Jul-15 18:45:21

Wonderland Avenue by Danny Sugarman. He hung around the doors as a teen and ended up managing iggy pop. The drugs he took! Oh man! Also heavier than heaven - a biography of Kurt Cobain. Sad and compelling.

stacysmom Mon 20-Jul-15 18:53:11

I really enjoyed Le Freak by Nile Rodgers... What a dude and links up with the Duran Duran ones nicely.

Keith Richards' one is really interesting but very muso in places.

lilyb84 Wed 22-Jul-15 22:46:22

I Am Ozzy. It's hilarious.

Clothes Music Boys by Viv Albertine from The Slits is great, and I'm just reading Girl in a Band by Kim Gordon which is really well written and an interesting insight to the New York art scene of the 80s (and I'm not a big Sonic Youth fan).

I'll second Things the Grandchildren Should Know by E from Eels too smile

Two of my faves are Hell Bent for Leather by Seb Hunter, which is basically an ode to heavy metal in all its ridiculousness, and Our Back Could Be Your Life by Michael Azerrad, all about the US indie scene in the 80s, bands like Black Flag and The Minutemen up to early Nirvana.

Finally (sorry, I've started now!), Enter Night by Mick Wall, an authorised biog of Metallica.

lilyb84 Wed 22-Jul-15 22:47:10

... Our Band Could Be Your Life. Oops.

FlossieTreadlight Wed 22-Jul-15 22:51:46

I really enjoyed Keith Richard's autobiography, Life.

thefutureofpolitics Wed 07-Oct-15 10:40:49

'Different for Girls' by Louise Wener. A very witty and intelligent autobiography.

Samcro Wed 07-Oct-15 10:42:36

dh has just read Ian drurys, said it was really good

MuddhaOfSuburbia Wed 07-Oct-15 10:48:23

Julian Cope's Head On is just fabulous imo

it's such a good read, insightful, funny- you don't need to be a fan to appreciate it

<goes off to read it again>

howabout Wed 07-Oct-15 10:54:44

Keith Richards "Life" is really good.
Bit of 60s London, bit of cooking, bit of rock & roll lifestyle and I agree if you are a musician loads of interesting insight on the "creative process" and musicianship.

Steven Tyler "Does the Noise in my Head Bother You" is the US equivalent and also very good.

cathyandclaire Wed 07-Oct-15 10:56:48

Another vote for Alex James and Keith Richards.

thefutureofpolitics Wed 07-Oct-15 13:25:33

Muddha of Suburbia, a definite vote for Julian Cope's autobiography! I read that ages ago and distinctly remember the description of the Teardrop Explodes' favourite game, 'sock'!

RiverTam Wed 07-Oct-15 13:33:10

England's Dreaming by Jon Savage is great, it's about punk.

meringue33 Wed 07-Oct-15 13:37:48

Quincy Jones' autobiography is brilliant.

Also the Henry Rollins audiobooks about being on the road with Black Flag.

MotherOfFlagons Wed 07-Oct-15 13:37:56

I didn't enjoy Alex James's book that much, TBH. The Last Party is a good one about the Britpop era.

WhataRacquet Wed 07-Oct-15 13:52:31

Haven't read it but Martin Kemp's is supposed to be very good. I read Slash's one, was good but I don't think he's too bright!

RiverTam Wed 07-Oct-15 13:52:37

Alex James is a knob and his book simply reinforced that!

thefutureofpolitics Wed 07-Oct-15 14:03:42

'Bad Vibes: Britpop and My Part In It's Downfall' by Luke Haines is absolutely fantastic!

SymphonyofShadows Fri 16-Oct-15 12:35:57

I've read and enjoyed quite a few of the ones mentioned. I am reading John Lydon's Anger Is An Energy at the moment. I am a huge fan anyway, the bits about his childhood illness are heartbreaking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now