Which summer festival for you?

(33 Posts)
LadyWithLapdog Sat 05-Jul-14 18:19:45

We're going to SW4, without the kids. I'd have liked others too but money is tight.

Maestro Sun 06-Jul-14 16:32:32

The Proms...

LadyWithLapdog Sun 06-Jul-14 17:53:39

I've never been to the Proms. I have it in the same category with going to the races. To do when older (deluding myself as I'm old enough now).

Maestro Sun 06-Jul-14 18:43:05

The Proms probably has a younger crowd than most orchestral concerts (although there's plenty of oldies there as well), so it's great for people who think classical concerts are "fuddy duddy", or formal, or whatever...

LadyWithLapdog Sun 06-Jul-14 21:02:05

I'll look for something as a day thing I can take the DCs to. I want them to experience a festival but I don't have the time, energy or money for a camping weekend.

squaretoes Sun 06-Jul-14 21:08:22

We are going to 'just so' next month. Can't do links on my phone but its really child friendly smile

LadyWithLapdog Sun 06-Jul-14 21:09:23

I haven't heard of it. Let me google.

Stars66 Sun 06-Jul-14 21:13:43

Just so looks great, though is there music?
We went to Sunrise in May, it was tiny but muddy fun, great for kids and loads of room to camp.
We have tickets for Standon Calling but currently having relationship issues so who knows how it will pan out.
By choice, I'd be Glastonbury on a sunny year (wouldn't everyone!) but now I have dd,I can't let lose like I did in my pre child years, so it's a small festival all the waygrin

Just back from Blissfields and off to Womad and Victorious later this year.

Best festival is Larmertree but it's in termtime and I can't face only going for the weekend.

LadyWithLapdog Sun 06-Jul-14 21:17:06

Just So looks suitably mad for kids. It's a bit far for us.

Now to google Standon one. How come I haven't heard of these? I searched on the efestivals website.

Stars66 Sun 06-Jul-14 21:18:42

Standon is really reasonably priced, close to London, small and suitably mad!!wink

fluffydoge Sun 06-Jul-14 21:21:49

travelin I went to Blissfields - it was great! My son is the drummer in one of the bands that played there.

LadyWithLapdog Sun 06-Jul-14 21:32:46

Victorious is tempting as location and prices. I can't see anything specifically for the kids but I suppose they can watch people drinking ale and join in with the shanty songs.

We're away for some of the others. Standon Calling looks fun too.

LocalEditorOxford Sun 06-Jul-14 21:35:06

We're off to the Wilderness Festival in a month - looks ace, but not sure if music is at the centre of it - will report back smile

ChuckNovice Sun 06-Jul-14 21:37:00

We're doing WOMAD and Shambala gawd help us with a 2.10 year old and 10 month old! Did WOMAD last year whilst pregnant and with nearly 2 year old, was lovely.

LadyWithLapdog Sun 06-Jul-14 22:33:47

Wilderness looks good. We're away that weekend. Also for Womad. That and Shambala would definitely be without DH. I'm not sure it's my kind of thing and wouldn't risk 3-4 full days in case I hate the music and the vibe (man).

Takver Sun 06-Jul-14 22:39:27

I'm tempted by Women in Tune - was planning to go in 2012, but put off by the rain! Maybe it will actually happen this year smile

Mylovelylovelyhorse Sun 06-Jul-14 22:42:34

Beautiful days for us

First time going to a festival with kids, in think it'll be fun (hopes)

Showy Sun 06-Jul-14 22:48:43

I've always fancied Beautiful Days. Too far sadly.

Cambridge Folk Festival for us.

Takver Mon 07-Jul-14 09:11:49

I'd love to go to Cambridge Folk festival again, used to live in Cambridge in the 80s/90s & had lovely times at the folk festival & also Strawberry Fair. Sadly we're on the other side of the country now, & it's just too far.

Latitude for me. It's nice and local and there's great comedy as well as music, which DSs like.

Katisha Fri 11-Jul-14 22:28:29

Absolutely the Proms. Been going since I was 14, on and off.

LadyWithLapdog Fri 11-Jul-14 22:35:30

We went to Latitude a few years back and really liked it. The problem this time round is both time and money. It works out £400+ for all, food etc. Too much. So I want smaller or day only.

I still don't know about the Proms smile

Katisha Fri 11-Jul-14 23:25:52

Well you can get into a prom for a fiver if you are prepared to stand in the arena or gallery. World class live music for five pounds. Even cheaper with weekend passes.

SingSongSlummy Fri 11-Jul-14 23:34:36

Those near London should definitely go to one of the Proms. It's cheap, and as katisha (Mikado ref?) says, you get world class performances!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now