Old jazz song recommendations

(29 Posts)
Jux Thu 27-Feb-14 15:38:12

DD (14) needs some new songs to sing. Thought old jazz standards would be good, like Misty, but can't think of too many. Things which will have a fairly good range and a recognisable tune, so more than just 3 or 4 notes!

Also recommendations of singers she could listen to performing such songs.

Thank you!

Ferguson Mon 03-Mar-14 19:41:20

Hi again -

You have had plenty of ideas to keep DD going for years I should think!

I'll just add a few links that may be of some use. Does DD also play instruments? Jazzwise magazine used to have an excellent on-line store, but it has changed to "sendmemusic". Jamey Aebersold has a range of over a hundred tutor books on all aspects and standards of playing and understanding jazz, most with CDs. There are also several what are known as 'Fake Books' that contain hundreds of tunes. Here are some JA singer books:

sendmemusic.com/catalogsearch/result/?q=aebersold+singers

As you may know, Dory Previn died last year. All her albums are available on CD, and one of my favourites is "Live at Carnegie Hall", with a smallish acoustic band. What I DIDN'T know previously, is that there are other people who now sing her songs, in particular Kate Dimbleby:

www.katedimbleby.com/

Another brilliant singer, in a totally different style, is the West End and Broadway star, and more recently, also director, Maria Friedman. I will PM you sometime, with more info about Maria:

www.mariafriedman.net/

When I first heard Dory Previn, in the '70s, probably on the John Peel show, at the same time I also got 'hooked' on Pete Atkin. He set to music and sang, words by 'poet' Clive James. They had many LPs in the '70s, but more recently the Internet gave them a new audience. All their CD reissues were lost in the 'London Riots' when the Sony warehouse was burnt down, but many of the songs have newer versions on CD, but they are available ONLY from Hillside Music. The best introduction to them is "Clive & Pete Live in Australia", which incredibly is only £5 for a double CD. Besides songs there are hilarious anecdotes from Clive James:

www.peteatkin.com/hillshop.htm

Finally, to help you RELAX this is a piece I love:

www.youtube.com/watch?v=FU1hm7KlfT8

[Keep up the good work!]

yegodsandlittlefishes Mon 03-Mar-14 20:20:36

nature boy I listened to Nat King Cole's version so much I think it is imprinted, but it can be covered well.

superlambanana Mon 03-Mar-14 22:30:22

Once You Lose Your Heart from Half A Sixpence is good too smile

She might like to listen to Stacey Kent or Claire Martin.

Jux - I got Rhythym (sp?) is great.
I remember years ago, Bette Midler did a 'standards' album. I recall a great toe tapping version of Miss Otis Regrets.
Gershwin to be honest is one of my all time favourites - I'll Build a Stairway to Paradise and How Long has this been going on.

Have you heard Dinah Washington singing 'Bessie Smith' ? Maybe something to listen to. Wonderful stuff.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now