Learning Guitar

(7 Posts)

Well, I've had a few false starts with guitar, but got a copy of Rocksmith today, and so far, so good. For the first time ever, I was able to get a clear chord out of my guitar smile

I'm hoping it'll teach me some basics, then I can start downloading tab and learning some rock/metal tunes grin

However, I have discovered one, tiny, tiny problem.

The fingers on my right hand hurt like crazy after not very long playing! I KNOW it's normal and it'll get better, but as this is my first real experience of playing for a while, I'm surprised by it!

So, anyone else? What guitar do you have, how long have you been playing and what's your favourite song/songs to play?

I've got a cheap C Giant electric guitar, that I've had since I was 17 (am 24 now) and this is my first real bit of progress with it - don't you just love technology?! smile

Ferguson Sat 01-Feb-14 19:53:05

I could never manage guitar - much too hard! Did bits of trumpet, then electronic organ. Main instrument thought was drums, for forty years.

This is possibly a good place to start:

sendmemusic.com/instrument-tuition/guitar.html

A lot of this is jazz based, but there must be similar sites for classical, folk, and rock guitar. If you have access to a piano or keyboard, learn chords there as well, as it's easier to understand theory than on guitar.

Good luck.

Ferguson Sun 02-Feb-14 17:56:12
AnyFuleKno Sun 02-Feb-14 18:08:36

well done on making a good start!

Play every day, even if it's just for 5 minutes, and your fingers will very soon toughen up.

For me I tried to start guitar multiple times but I've had the most success by learning ukulele and then going back to guitar - this toughened up my fingers and built my confidence. It was great to be able to play actual songs. Now I am good enough to play most chords, even the tricky bar ones, and I'm working on learning more intricate finger picking type stuff.

This is a fab time to learn guitar with so many web tutorials available.

I've tried a couple of chords - they're quite tricky right now, because my hand needs to stretch out a bit.

I need to get myself a good book of songs - I like rock, metal, also love things like TV themes, Disney etc.

I have to admit, it is rather nice hearing my electric guitar through the Xbox, I can't find the amplifier parents may have hidden it so I'd forgotten how nice it can sound when I get stuff right smile

I love the idea of a ukelele - they sound ace and I don't think it's possible for anything to sound sad on one!

AnyFuleKno Sun 02-Feb-14 22:47:53

Ukelele is brill, you could learn it in about a month.

The trick with guitar (aside from getting your fingers tough enough) is learning the movement between two chords and getting that smooth - D to G, G to C etc - keep practicing it over and over to get it in your muscle memory

iklboo Sun 02-Feb-14 22:56:30

DH swears by Guitar for Dummies and 'You Can Bluff' books. They gave him lots of tips & practice tunes to try.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now