Sheet music in F# minor on piano is what on alto sax?

(9 Posts)
Ferguson Sat 01-Feb-14 19:16:38

Our son played alto sax at grammar school, and a sadistic assistant music teacher used to give him scores that he had to SIGHT TRANSPOSE, so he learnt all about it!

This might help: www.musictheoryvideos.com/transposition-topics.html

and there must be plenty of theory on the ABRSM site.

(I played drums, so never understood much of this stuff!)

zestypears Thu 30-Jan-14 03:45:55

Bumping smile

zestypears Wed 29-Jan-14 09:22:07

Ok, ive just checked the score and it definitely only has those three sharps, so that makes it A major. There'll be piano, guitar and drums.

So to transpose it to the sax, that means I have to find a score written in.. G major?! Is that right? Thanks for your help changedirection, I can play what's in front of me ok but really can't get to grips with the theory behind it!

changedirection Wed 29-Jan-14 08:04:10

It's either A major or F# minor. Yes, I'm afraid you end up playing in lots of sharps when transposing for an Eb instrument. I find it easier to remember only B is natural than which to play sharp if that makes sense?

Are you playing with other instruments? If so, you will need to transpose (is change key sig and move the notes down 2 spaces). However, if playing alone you can just play as written

zestypears Wed 29-Jan-14 06:14:14

Hang on I think I've got the piano key wrong. The piano is playing F#, C# and G#. That's actually a key of A major, isn't it? I never ever studied theory but I wish I had now!

zestypears Wed 29-Jan-14 06:09:49

So a piece in F# minor on the piano should be transposed to the key of F# major on the alto sax? That is so not what I was hoping for!! sad

zestypears Wed 29-Jan-14 06:06:09

Woah, so the equivalent key signature for me will have 6 sharps in?! shock

changedirection Wed 29-Jan-14 05:54:17

Add 3 sharps, so will be F C G D A E

zestypears Wed 29-Jan-14 05:40:08

I've been given some piano sheet music which has F, C and G sharps, which I think means it's in the key of F# minor?

I need to play it on an Eb alto sax so in looking online for a score in the correct key. Only thing is I haven't a clue what key I'm looking for (and I've been googling for ages!)

Can anyone help me?!

Thanks smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now