Any fans of Gary Numan on MN at all?

(20 Posts)

Followed him since '79. Like both his older and more recent stuff, and looking forward to his Splinter tour later this year smile

Anybody?

I keep getting bored/blank looks when I mention him in RL, normally becomes a conversation stopper.

Or I hear 'Gary Numan? The one who sang summat about cars? Good grief, didn't know he was still going!

Thats why I'm asking, out of desperation.

flipchart Sat 14-Sep-13 20:13:24

Me and DH are.
He plays in Manchester fairly regularly.

Hi flipchart.

Honestly thought I wasn't going to recieve a reply smile

Yep, been to see him in Manchester a few times, the earliest being his Telekon tour in 1980, then a long while later at the academy, from the 30th anniversary of the Pleasure Principal album onwards smile

thecatfromjapan Sat 14-Sep-13 21:53:46

I'm a furtive fan.

My son knows about him and was amazed when I revealed I did too. I think my son knows him by way of "The Mighty Boosh".

My son (who really does have great music taste -imo) told me about a new album coming out?

MagzFarqharson Sat 14-Sep-13 21:54:12

I met his mum once in a recording studio in Weybridge in the mid 80's. She was really nice but smoked loads of fags if i remember correctly.

Hi, thecat, his new album Splinter, is being released next month. Your son is totally correct. Btw, is your name part of the song by David Bowie, Ziggy Stardust?

Hi Magz, I've never met any of his family, or him for that matter sad but I know they are a close family unit smile

thecatfromjapan Sat 14-Sep-13 22:10:55

"Yes", to the name.

Son is urging me to get the new album, by the way.

Dh stood next to Mr Numan in a queue for a children's activity that our child used to attend. Dh was quite pleased with himself.

I rather like the way this thread is developing a strand of "Gary Numan-related Incidents." grin

I love Ziggy Stardust, especially that line 'screwed up eyes and screwed down hairdo'. Classic.smile, and would have loved to be in your dh's shoes that day.

I remember my parents thinking he was gay at his peak, with the jumpsuits and makeup, but they now concede, all these years later in their 70's, that he was cutting edge for his time...I nearly collapsed when I heard that. grin

btw, your son can pre order the Splinter album from Amazon or the official Gary Numan website smile

MagzFarqharson Sat 14-Sep-13 22:38:24

Yes crushed it was only one afternoon, so I don't claim to know much about her. But she seemed to be very much looking after his interests, and was very well loved and respected in those particular circles.

Aww, she were well nice thinking about it again x

Hi Magz. I had read in his autobiography about how close his family are, and the book demonstrates what you said, how loved his Mum is.

Many years ago, I sent money in an envelope to his fan club address instead of a postal order, silly me blush. His mum sent the money back with a lovely letter apologising! Wish I'd have kept it smile

Oh yes, very much a fan. He used to be a pupil at my old school (way before I was there unfortunately)

Murderofgoths, so near, yet so far ! smile

MagzFarqharson Sat 14-Sep-13 22:58:28

Oh, glad my memory hasn't failed me then crushed

My DP at that time got the job of writing out the words for his latest album (can't remember what it was called). Just remember listening to lyrics over and over on a sony walkman to try and work out what they were when said exDP couldn't get them. He sometimes didn't 'write' the songs, just kind of free-styleeeeed em.

Happy days, thanks for this thread!

EsTutMirLeid Sat 14-Sep-13 23:00:12

One of the guards on my train is called Gary Numan... Looks like he's trying to look like him too so I guess it's a name he got by deed poll rather than birth.

You're welcome, Magz, lol at free-stylee grin

Estu, wow at the train guard. How old is he about?

I notice how some of his fans go along to his gigs still dressed in his earlier stuff (thankfully not the jumpsuits, imagine them at 40-odd years oldgrin ), but the red and blue ties with black boots and shirts and the white makeup, yet he wears a more relaxed attire these days...must be me, just making an observation.

I love the Numaaaaan build up before the gig, and although my dh is not a fan, (he comes to keep me company), he says he puts on a bloody good show for £25 a ticket, earns his money smile

EsTutMirLeid Sat 14-Sep-13 23:35:35

Funny...

Google Gary Numan South West Trains and you'll see loads of people have commented about showing their tickets to Gary Numan. He's obviously quite the celeb. I reckon he's about 45-50. He's quite a grumpy guard. I much prefer when we have the cheery bald man whose name escapes me.

I saw him eons ago. Tbh I wasn't a fan (then) but went with some friends. A gay guy was so obsessed with GN.
We were at the front and seen as I was drunk I suddenly thought I loved Gary Numan blush Was shouting Gary I love you etc.. He smiled at me and threw me a drum stick. The gay guy shoved me out of the way and caught it, saying he threw it to me you bitch! shock grin

I liked him after that and would love to see him again on tour.

Estu, just googled and read the comments. Quite a celeb, isn't he? grin

juniper, he is on tour starting Oct/Nov, if you want to see him smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now