The mumsnet Ukulele quiche.

(138 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Apr-13 18:21:31

Started a new thread as the other one is going to get lost in chat.

Place to share tips, songs, websites, compare prongs, etc.

NowBringUsSomeFuzzpiggyPudding Wed 25-Dec-13 16:35:33

Hello fgrin

I managed to keep my uke hidden until my birthday earlier this month.

I've memorised a few chords and am really enjoying it!

TheRaniOfYawn Wed 25-Dec-13 15:50:16

I'm in the quiche! DP gave me a ukulele for Christmas. Now I have to work or how to tune it. And play it.

MsUumellmahaye Tue 26-Nov-13 22:09:02

hello all, how is everybody getting on? im rubbish have been neglecting mu uke, im so going to practice this week x

fuzzpig Tue 19-Nov-13 21:21:57

Hello! Oldish thread I see but is anyone still around?

I bought a ukulele today with Xmas/birthday money from my grandma. I've tuned it (using an app on my iPod grin) and looked at a few chords for somewhere over the rainbow (the Israel Kamakawiwo'ole version is one of my favourite songs ever)

I'm so happy grin

oooo I attempted fingerpicking to play leonard cohen hallelujah but then decided to just play it with a random strumming pattern instead. I am going to download fairytale ofnew York and practise it for xmas when dc go back to school. I am ace now at somewhere over the rainbow and hallelujah and can also do fun we are young grin. Some just have two many chord in formy liking - I don't like them barre jobbys.

Learning a new schema - I am attempting <drum roll> fingerpicking

MrsBottesini Mon 12-Aug-13 21:24:23

congratulations grin
how's the right hand?

Phew!

I have lost all sensation in the fingertips of my left hand <proud>

MrsBottesini Sun 11-Aug-13 01:06:33

the thread, the ukulele or the cheesy tunes? wink

grin

am getting one for ds2 now [rollseyes]

Killed it sad

Hello! Can I join in? I got a ukulele for my birthday last week and have been obsessively printing music off the internet since; I've got about a billion cheesy tunes now grin

MrsBottesini Tue 30-Jul-13 10:58:09

anyone see the Geore Formby prog last night on bbc4, Graham Norton... it was flippin brilliant!

My strumming sounds a bit tinny - debating upgrading my strings to Aquila - anyone done this to their cheapy and did it really make that much difference? Also anyone got a good strap that doesn't require any hole drilling - my boobage makes me struggle to hold it sometimes (not that im bragging) grin

MsUumellmahaye Thu 18-Jul-13 21:44:25

hi all, am currently learning twinkle twinkle, need to practice more!!!

now that sounds fun!! i have been googlin various songs and trying to learn them , i did hallelujah for hours last night and dh still didn't get it!! tried a bit of finger picking as well but need to watch that you tube clip again grin

MrsShrek3 Mon 15-Jul-13 22:43:44

yay, can i join you? I have been learning froma work colleague - music lesson lunchtimes! grin
I

how is everyone doing or have you all given up?

MsUumellmahaye Wed 03-Jul-13 13:44:35

i cant wait to go group. am finding it easier to just down strum. it does make you feel jolly smile

i keep changing my strum pattern or just do down ones, a plastic pick makes it easier but so loud so think i need a felt one. i think a group would be good attwg am going to continue going alone .

hello grin grin grin grin i started googling some beginners stuff and downloaded a free crash course booklet by some bret bloke then i printed off somewhere over rainbow and can play that slowly with hit and miss chord changes but getting there smile . today i found a site with cooler songs on i think it was UKedaily and decided to learn songs i like. i printed off a chord diagram thing too. i feel happy all the time ha ha

MsUumellmahaye Wed 03-Jul-13 08:28:28

noyou, i thought i had killed the thread till you came on smile i have no idea where all the ukulele people went. i am finding the strumming really hard, i have learned a few chords had a try of a few others and just thought that it's actually impossible to get my fingers in those positionssmile have had a response about a beginners group starting in september though smile

wow i proper killed this quiche !! i can play twinkle twinkle slowly and know four chords - others look a bit tricky grin

Oh I also have to say the group I was going to go along to I rang today to book on it only to discover its for over 50's!! I was gutted - the lady told me to come along anyway as they are not overly strict but now im not so sure - I don't want the over 50s ganging up on little me confused

im in tune grin, I can go from c to f and am doing down down up up down up and I freakin love it - dh not so much ha ha! My strumming is a bit patchy - doing the claw method - dear me this is going to affect my life somewhat!

thanks for that - just come in and my tuner still hasn't come so im royally peed off - went on amazon and saw it was coming from Singapore grrrrrrrrrrr so just ordered another one for next day delivery - a snark one? Will ebay tuther if it arrives ever........

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now