The mumsnet Ukulele quiche.

(138 Posts)
VivaLeBeaver Tue 09-Apr-13 18:21:31

Started a new thread as the other one is going to get lost in chat.

Place to share tips, songs, websites, compare prongs, etc.

HellonHeels Wed 10-Apr-13 10:16:09

Viva are you normally up and posting at 6.30am or did the excitement of uke delivery get you out of bed?

SaidFlorence Wed 10-Apr-13 10:19:31

I have a slight ukulele addiction...I have 4 already and am eyeing up one of these too.

I can play most things now - lumineers Ho Hey is mega easy.

I use ukutabs.com and ultimate guitar for chords, although there are thousands of tutorials on youtube.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Apr-13 10:21:31

I started work at 7am so logged on to track the fedex delivery.

CamperWidow Wed 10-Apr-13 11:23:43

Viva, try this. It's what I always use as the DD's steal my little panpipes as soon as the Uke comes out!!

perplexedpirate Wed 10-Apr-13 12:55:27

Have you got yours yet, Viva?

JamEyelid Wed 10-Apr-13 13:09:43

Mine has just arrived!

After tuning and re tuning,and re tuning it I have discovered I am as crap as I though I would be grin

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Apr-13 15:11:21

I've got it. Looks beautiful, have tuned it with an app. Have had a quick go at trying a few chords and am also crap.

JamEyelid Wed 10-Apr-13 16:54:02

I've been using this beginners website www.ukeschool.com/ as I've never attempted to play anything with strings. It's been quite useful as it has little mp3s and videos on it.

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Apr-13 16:55:13

Well my illusions are slightly shattered. This is going to be much harder than I thought.

I've done jeff burton's first two lessons on YouTube. One of the chords is really hard.....g7. I have to physically put my fingers in place with my other hand. Going to have to keep repeating his second lesson before I move onto the next one I think.

perplexedpirate Wed 10-Apr-13 17:02:12

That second lesson whipped along much faster than the first, didn't it?
I got on better with a tab sheet that the music shop gave me (from the UOGB website) cos I found I couldn't actually see where Jeff was putting his fingers, iykwim.
DH was also v helpful when I let him be (blush) and in the end I was walking around happily singing 'C choooooord...D choooooord...F choooooord...' with it.
Will be attempting to fill in the gaps tonight. smile

I can hardly read this thread for excitement!! I am a player of sorts - think I asked a while ago if there was a thread now her it is!

Must go back and read all your posts proper now but few tips from me;

scorpexuke, ukutabs, ukulele hunt and chordie ( you can change instrument to uke unlike other guitar chord sites) are brilliant sites. You tube is really good for listening how people play , strumming patterns etc. Ukulele Mike is the bestest. Is anyone in the North London area ? My husbands uncle has a local community group that plays ukuleles!

Think of a song you love and try and get the chords and play. I will try and link to my songbook on chordie in a bit - praps we should start a mumsnet song book.

Oh and if you have bought a Mahalo try changing the strings to Aquila/worth ( you can get on amazon) Nylgut if you have the factory ones - sound is absolutely different and lovely! EEeeeeeeeeee can you tell im excited !

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Apr-13 18:21:16

I think I'm just going to have to spend a lot of time learning and practicing chords. Maybe 3 a week and practice changing from one to another till I can do it quickly.

Viva le beaver - C, F, G /G7 Am and D should start you off.. google some three chord songs which should make it easier - here are a few to start ( btw for G7 I do not barre the fret - I put my fingers in a triangle shape iyswim just do what feels comfortable for you.

By practising different songs you will stop yourself getting bored and get some muscle memory for recognizable chord progressions. I also found it helped to try and sing the song whilst doing just one downward strum for the chord changes

easyish songs with above chords

The tide is high key of C

Monkey Man - same chords as Tide is High

Ring of fire - you could substitue the D7 for a D to begin with

You are my sunshine suprisingly depressing by the time you get to the end of the lyrics

Brown eyed Girl

Hope this helps these are all I can remember for now!

perplexedpirate Wed 10-Apr-13 18:58:00

Whoop! That's my evening sorted, Smelly. As soon as DH gets home I'm on it.

Hi, can I join. I found this thread last night and after wanting a new hobbie, found myself inspired to buy one myself. It's coming tomorrow I think and I'm so excited!!!!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Apr-13 19:25:58

Smellylittleorange, what does barre the fret mean please?

I love how many people have gone out and bought a uke!

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Apr-13 19:26:24

<waves to makingchanges>

My first is a Mahalo - she is out on loan is Purple her name is Iris. My Husband also bought me Rosa

with a proper gig bag and everything

Saidflorence I need more Ukuleles in my life yours looks amazeballs!

perplexedpirate Wed 10-Apr-13 19:56:16

How the jiminy heck do you play an e chord? I either have too many or too few fingers. confused

JamEyelid Wed 10-Apr-13 20:00:55

ukulelehunt.com/2009/04/22/e-chord-ukulele/ 10 ways to play the E chord. I haven't even attempted that one yet smile

vivalabeaver Barre means to press on finger down on the strings on a fret - due to an accident I cant do that as my Ruby Ring and Tommy Tall fingers are not flexible ! So if I can play anyone can really - I have to fit all my fingers on the strings see below for barre/fretting chords

www.dummies.com/how-to/content/how-to-play-barre-chords-on-your-ukulele.html

As for E chords well I still cant play it so I substitute for Em or E7 and if it does not sound right I either don't learn the song or try and make it work by changing the chords (putting it up a step etc) which you can do on ukutabs and chordie. This is disappointing since it seems High and Dry by Radiohead only seems to work with E chords sad

VivaLeBeaver Wed 10-Apr-13 20:34:30

If a song tab says e7 for a chord which e cord is that?

My chord chart has e, em, eb, ebm but no e7

perplexedpirate Wed 10-Apr-13 21:45:46

I can now do major chords A, C, D, F, and G. Struggling with B and E, although the links have been very useful. My fingers are too big or something???
I had a go at some songs too, very happy with my new hobby. grin

HerrenaHandbasket Wed 10-Apr-13 22:03:00

After seeing a live ukulele band and this thread, I have now been inspired to learn how to play. To that end, I have bought myself a ukulele off ebay and am now impatiently awaiting its arrival.

Please may I join the quiche? Seeing as it's partly your fault and all? grin

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now