recommendations of a song to sing to my DH at my 40th B'day Party!!!!!!

(26 Posts)
thekingfisher Mon 25-Mar-13 11:51:08

As I turn 40 - I am (secretly) thinking about after my little speechy thing to thank everyone for coming ( about 45 friends and some family) singing a song before band start.

So firstly is this a Bonkers idea? I have a reasonable/good voice but it would be a big challenge for me. But would people think its a bit nobby?

So havent got a hug number of ideas but At last by Etta James or Songbird or wonderful world. Don't want anything too cheesy - but like the idea I can sing it to DH

Give me some ideas..I'll have to try to get a backing track or I might be able to ask the band to play for me (though its only keyboard and vocal)

What do you think am I mad!

Branleuse Mon 25-Mar-13 11:51:52

something by chesney hawkes

Branleuse Mon 25-Mar-13 11:52:00

or nick berry

almostanotherday Mon 25-Mar-13 12:08:07

Why don't you write your own!

thekingfisher Mon 25-Mar-13 12:08:19

so you don't think its a good idea????

almostanotherday Mon 25-Mar-13 12:08:30

That's was meant to be a ? Not a !

thekingfisher Mon 25-Mar-13 12:11:52

Don't really ahve the capacity/skill/ablity to write my own but nice idea..

thekingfisher Mon 25-Mar-13 12:40:19

bump?

KittenOfDoom Sat 30-Mar-13 22:11:05

What sort of message do you want to convey? Is it just to dh or to all the guests confused

nars Sat 30-Mar-13 22:13:20

we've only just begun? but i think that depends on how long you have been with your dh? wouldn't work if you've been together for yonks wink

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 30-Mar-13 22:13:56

Theme from the golden girls ?

KenDoddsDadsDog Sat 30-Mar-13 22:15:17

There was a really good one on RHONY recently that the host sang with Natalie Cole. Can't remember it , will look it up.

AlanMoore Sat 30-Mar-13 22:31:30

It's potentially a nice idea if you are very keen but tackling something like At Last with a less than amazing voice could backfire something awful - it is a HARD song to sing (your other suggestions not easy either). How long till the party? I'd go see a singing coach for a few sessions, they will help you choose a song that suits you and build your confidence to bring the house down. Good luck!

KittenOfDoom Sun 31-Mar-13 11:21:14

What about "When I'm 64"

DameFanny Sun 31-Mar-13 11:29:37

"you can't always get what you want"

[heh heh heh]

MarcelineTheVampireQueen Sun 31-Mar-13 11:36:09

Nick Berry...I think I've wet myself a little laughing at that!

Honestly, you have the best of intentions, but as a guest, I would find it tacky and hilarious in equal measure. As your partner, I would be mortified and would cringe with shame. Why don't you concentrate on writing a really heart felt speech, and get the band to play his fave song?

KittenOfDoom Sun 31-Mar-13 11:40:08

Yeah, I think comedy is the best way to go. It's not a wedding, is it? Anything too "romantic" (eg Songbird) would be really cringey.

ZacharyQuack Sun 31-Mar-13 11:43:08
thekingfisher Mon 01-Apr-13 16:20:55

Just come back to this as I'd given up hope of a response!

Thanks for all your comments - I am still really unsure for all the reasons stated.

Thanks for the helpful and not so helpful suggestions

Will give it some more thought!

smile

KittenOfDoom Mon 01-Apr-13 16:29:52

You didn't answer my questions .....

FrameyMcFrame Mon 01-Apr-13 16:33:56

I once witnessed a wedding where the bride sang a song to the groom at the alter. I have to say there wasn't a dry eye in the house but it was the crying from laughing so hard but silently variety of tears...

The song was Annie's Song; 'You fill up my senses....'

Aarghhh

DameFanny Mon 01-Apr-13 16:42:01

Oh alright then. "all of me" isn't too difficult, and can be nice and up tempo to avoid the ballad cringiness

trashcansinatra Mon 01-Apr-13 16:45:35

Search YouTube for 'mcfly wedding song' for one of McFly making his grooms speech as a song. It's brilliant and might inspire you. (Wrong device to find and link. Sorry)

SqueakyCleanNameChange Mon 01-Apr-13 16:55:20

I'm Sticking With You by the Velvet Underground. Short, more or less appropriate duet which is, crucially, best known for being sung by a tone deaf drummer, so not a demanding tune.

I've been to a couple of weddings where the best man whipped out a guitar for a personally written funny song with a singalong chorus, but I think it does need a bit of humour and personalised lyrics to leaven the cringe factor.

frownyface Sun 14-Apr-13 00:50:14

you are very brave, Pick something easy ish if u can smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now