Neil Young at Birmingham LG Arena - Can you stand with a 'seated' ticket?

(15 Posts)
PavlovtheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 11:11:38

We are thinking of going to see Neil Young for DHs 40th Birthday. There are standing seats, and seated tickets in the 'stalls' area, as well as the usua seated tickets.

We would ideally stand, but, I have a back problem and probably won't be able to stand for the whole concert. Is the seats in the stalls situated in a way that I could buy a seated ticket yet stand if I wanted with the standing crowd and then sit if I am struggling on my feet? I really don't want to be restricted to seating, and DH definitely would prefer to stand if he can help it.

(I don't at this stage if my back will be 'ok' or in it's chronic phase or if it would be in an acute phase which would mean crutches)

There is £10 difference in the ticket price which I am happy to pay for the sake of being able to enjoy it.

PavlovtheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 11:14:03

Hmm, looking again it seems there is 'general admission' (ie standing) and tiered seating. I guess tiered seating means no access to standing? Some places I have been to have allowed those in seats to go and stand, but not sure if that is the case at LG Arena.

NatashaBee Thu 07-Mar-13 11:31:03

Not been to that particular arena, but no, usually you can't switch between the 2 areas.

PavlovtheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 11:33:45

oh that's a shame. I was hoping as it is smaller, like Plymouth Pavillions, maybe it would be possible to move between. Now. Do I just get on with it, crutches to prop me up in standing (it is DHs birthday after all, not mine, I want him to have fun). Neil Young is not exactly Mosh pit stuff, so that could work if I was nearer the back, but then, well, that sort of defeats the purpose of standing, which is to get as close to the front as possible.

If we get seated we get a great view, and maybe we ain't gonna want to be up and rocking out to Neil Young, but, Hmm. Need to think about that then.

PrincessOfChina Thu 07-Mar-13 11:35:53

Nope, I've never been allowed to do that at the NEC. In fact, I've only seen it happen at stadium type gigs.

Won't people be dancing in the seats anyway? I would.

PrincessOfChina Thu 07-Mar-13 11:37:00

Also, the LG Arena is not small. I imagine it holds 12,000 smile

NatashaBee Thu 07-Mar-13 11:40:52

Do they have disabled seating? That's usually in the standing bit and you could sit/ stand as needed.

PrincessOfChina Thu 07-Mar-13 11:48:52

I think diabled seating at the NEC is on the first tier of seats. But yes, you could probably stand there comfortably.

PavlovtheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 11:55:47

ok, its not small then, not sure why I thought it was! Maybe, I will just up my pain meds for the evening and be done with it! He is one of DHs favourite musicians, playing ON his birthday, so if he wants standing, then we will just stand.

PavlovtheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 11:57:29

princess oooh I read a thread a while ago about a cat fight breaking out between people who were in the 'want to dance in seated/you can't dance in seated' camp. I expect I would be dancing right in front of the exact person who doesn't want to/cant' get up and dance and be told I should have got standing if I wanted to dance!

Picturesinthefirelight Thu 07-Mar-13 12:02:05

The disabled seating at the NEC is part of the tiered seating st the sides but with seats taken out to accommodate wheelchairs.

The floor is standing, so stones divided into front & rear with barriers. The tiered seating at the sides or the very back behind the standing area is barriers off with a bit of a drop down. You can't move between the two areas.

Saying that it was 10 years ago when I worked there but I can't imagine it bring that different. The whole arena is about the size of a football pitch.

PrincessOfChina Thu 07-Mar-13 12:08:30

Pavlov There's a foyer area just behind the standing area, very easily accessible if you needed to pop out and take a seat for 10 mins.

Sounds like you'll have a fab time, enjoy!

PavlovtheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 12:11:16

thank you, have a clearer picture of how it is laid out thank you! If there is a foyer (and even better a bar wink) I can nip out if it gets too much pain wise. I refuse to not go, as life must go on. And a little bit of pain from standing up to dance to some great music will be very worth it.

PavlovtheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 12:12:10

not that you can call any movement I can do these days as dancing, more like robot swaying given my lack of lumbar movement wink

PavlovtheCat Thu 07-Mar-13 12:13:33

I have just bee listening to some Neil Young live, and yes, think we are definitely going. I might even tell DH it's too expensive what with hotel overnight etc, and arrange something more 'quiet' for his birthday, and do it as a surprise grin It will be the first EVER time we have been away from both the children overnight.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now