Definitive list of Musicals for a Musical marathon

(31 Posts)
KatyMac Mon 10-Sep-12 17:55:22

DD & I have decided to watch musicals together. The library does a 2 for 1 on a Friday; but the search at the library is a little lacking

So I need a nice list of musicals for us......& I'm feeling a little blank

We are going to have a Katymac choice & a DD choice each week; so we need old & new

Where do we start (she has seen quite a few of the big ones, so I was thinking of older ones she might not have heard of.....preferably with lots of dancing wink)

MigratingCoconuts Mon 10-Sep-12 18:19:34

You have to add On The Town to that!!

it's pure genius.

KatyMac Mon 10-Sep-12 21:48:15

I love that one & we have already ordered Sweet Charity

SecretNutellaMedallist Mon 10-Sep-12 22:02:46

Rent.

SecretNutellaMedallist Mon 10-Sep-12 22:03:58

Victor/Victoria

I would recommend getting hold of some DVDs of Broadway shows/documentaries/concerts etc, as well as films.

Some good ones I would recommend are;

Broadway shows
Into The Woods
Sunday in the Park with George
Sweeney Todd
Company
Putting It Together
Fosse
Victor/Victoria
Rent
Oklahoma (West End, the NT version)

Concerts/Special galas etc
Hey Mr Producer
My Favourite Broadway: The Leading Ladies
My Favourite Broadway: The Love Songs
Sondheim - The Birthday Concert
Some Enchanted Evening: Richard Rogers Tribute Gala
Chess in Concert
Les Miserables (10th or 25th Anniversary depending on which cast float your boat - I would say to watch both wink)
Phantom of the Opera at the RAH
Love Never Dies
Bernadette Peters in Concert
Liza With a Z
Elaine Stritch at Liberty

Documentaries

The Heat Is On: The Making of Miss Saigon
Every Little Step
Show Business: The Road to Broadway

This list is by no means definitive, but I have the above DVDs and would recommend them. Some are really important in Musical Theatre - certainly the original productions of the Sondheim shows, Hey Mr Producer, Rent, etc etc, and those solo performers' DVDs are also pretty iconic as they are 3 major stars. The documentaries are fascinating for anyone wanting to get into musical theatre, as they show a lot of the casting process. These aren't to watch instead of film musicals, they certainly have their place too, but obviously with the stage production you are getting the show as written rather than messed around with for film.

janji Thu 20-Sep-12 01:31:24

Gotta have Joseph & technicolor dreamboat just to sing along to songs!!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now