Please note: This topic is for discussions about the surveys Mumsnet is running. It's not the place for promoting other surveys or market-research requests. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a (largish-scale) survey about your product or business on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

UK MNers: Complete a survey for Homebase - you could win a £100 Homebase voucher NOW CLOSED

(41 Posts)
AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 20-Mar-14 14:24:31

We've been asked by the team at Homebase to find out about Mumsnetters' opinions on co-buying. The survey is open to all UK MNers - whether you love or don't know about co-buying!

Here's what Homebase say "Co-buying is a brand new way of shopping with Homebase which is all about earning rewards and discounts on the products that you really want. You'll get to help choose the products that Homebase put on offer, and by sharing the deals with your friends and family you can push the price lower for everyone. Each Co-buy only lasts for a few hours and there are only ever a limited number of each product available, so it's a lot of fun! What's more, if you bring in more other buyers than anyone else you could be in with a chance of winning a product for free."

This survey is open to all UK MNers.

Click here to complete the survey.

Everyone who takes part will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will receive a £100 Homebase voucher.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!

MNHQ

AngelieMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 02-Apr-14 09:27:48

Thanks for all your comments, we'll pass your feedback on to Homebase smile

CollectorofCookbooks Wed 02-Apr-14 02:04:20

Done but what a strange concept. I neither want to be sold to by my friends, nor sell onto them! Can't think of anything worse.

StrawberryCheese Tue 01-Apr-14 16:58:18

My DH works for Homebase and has nooooo idea what this is about. They have just relaunched their website though so I'm guessing it's linked to that.

ClaudetteWyms Tue 01-Apr-14 12:27:44

I did the survey but am none the wiser as to what co-buying is. They need to explain it without all the puff.

IneedAwittierNickname Mon 31-Mar-14 22:49:33

I don't care if I understand the concept or not, I'd love to win either way grin
Plus my house is in desperate need of new paint!

I agree. If I have a need for a certain product I research the options available, determine the one I want, search for the best price and go ahead and buy it.
I would not want to share it round my friends, convincing them they want or need it just to get the price down and then end up with the exact same item as my social circle / family.

I really, honestly, don't see the point.

Homebase, stop faffing around and just deliver good quality products at a competitive price.

That's all!

GoEasyPudding Mon 31-Mar-14 10:35:05

It just sounds very complicated. This wouldn't be worth any ones time.

All we want is low prices and good value on quality products. Quite simple.

BobaFetaCheese Sun 30-Mar-14 19:47:32

^What NumberNine said, can't imagine anything worse than having identikit houses with friends and family.

Might be worth it on white gloss paint or something everyone can use?

I think Alibaba is along the right lines.

And she is right, it is a grim concept. I fear it would fuel a buying frenzy, people snapping up deals just because it is a deal or people buying items they don't necessarily want / need because their friends are co-ercing them into it...
And, worst of all, you would end up with the exact same product as your friends and family. And who wants that?
And in this financial and environmental climate that is morally and ethically wrong in my book. N

I won't take part.

<gets off high horse and bows out>

It would have to be a really really significant discount for it to be worth it eg a 99p chair grin

Could do with the vouchers though wink

Solo Sun 30-Mar-14 12:38:55

Glad I'm not the only confused person here! thought it was me grin

ImAThrillseekerHoney Sun 30-Mar-14 11:37:03

I think perhaps it could work online if you had a big Facebook network. And having seen the big Xmas Bargains/Amazon Black Friday/S&B threads, it might be well possible to arrange something where MN-ers get together to sign up to a co-buy deal. There have definitely been things where ten people on a thread have all bought the same thing - a 99p recliner chair for example grin, but also specific things in the Boden sale, MN scarves, waterproof bum-covering coats......

Done.

Haven't a clue how it would work confused

ValenciaOrange Fri 28-Mar-14 18:13:20

I have no idea what they are talking about or how it will work. Sounds very time consuming to me.

AnneEyhtMeyer Thu 27-Mar-14 23:29:47

Have completed the survey but am dubious about the concept.

As I have said in the survey, I think Homebase need to focus on making their shops look less like a closing down sale before they worry about anything else.

Ive done it but as a marketing director I think they need to seriously look at the person scripting the promotional material!

Clear as mud! I guess if there is something on offer you will get advance notice. Say its a lawnmower and you know your dad and your next door neighbour need a new one too you all go together or order online using a code(?) and get it cheaper?
Maybe?
wineBeing drunk by homebase when this was devised/communicated?!

EldonAve Thu 27-Mar-14 17:55:29

http://www.mumsnet.com/co-buy

Is Homebase going to be an MN co buy then?

jellyandcake Thu 27-Mar-14 17:10:09

I really don't think this idea would work!

Windmillsinthesand Thu 27-Mar-14 16:54:36

Have no clue what they are talking about but would quite like to win some vouchers.

CointreauVersial Thu 27-Mar-14 12:59:14

My thoughts exactly, allthatglitters.

Perhaps it's just been badly communicated. Twenty bemused MNers can't be wrong!

allthatglittersisnotgold Thu 27-Mar-14 12:49:49

Totally think it's ridiculous! I mean I "get" it, but who really says oh i'm going to get paint for living room, then has 2 or 3 friends who also need paint (of the same colour?) Same with flooring etc, what are the chances of everyone wanting the same flooring. Then organising everyone to buy at the same time.

What a ball ache. I can barely find time to organise my own life, let alone control other peoples!

Millipedewithherfeetup Tue 25-Mar-14 17:21:21

Done the survey, but like some others have not got the foggiest on what it's all about ! Hey ho could still do with the vouchers though !

whereisshe Tue 25-Mar-14 08:58:11

Done, but agree with the othrrs - it's confusing.
If you want to tap people's social networks to sell more stuff it's going to make a lot of people uncomfortable. And if you make the discounts very limited time only you'll run into the problem that people aren't just at a loose end waiting to pop down to homebase when their friends call about a discounted lightbulb.

gleegeek Mon 24-Mar-14 15:50:12

Done but also confused!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now