This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED MN Survey-time: lots of prizes to be won

(85 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 21-Feb-14 09:53:57

We have a couple of surveys live at the moment either for MNHQ or for clients - we'd love you to complete which ever ones you qualify for. Please keep an eye on winners' corner on talk for the prize draw winning MN nicknames.

NOW CLOSED A survey open to all UK parents: add your opinion and your details at the end and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £150 M&S voucher.

NOW CLOSED: And a survey about events you may attend with your family - open to all UK MNers - there's a £250 voucher to be won for this one!

NOW CLOSED: Secondly a survey all about undertaking paid work and children. This survey is for all UK MNers who have at least one child and were working before they had children. It doesn't matter whether you are currently in paid work or not, we still want to hear from you. Add your details at the end and you could win a £200 Love2Shop voucher.

NOW CLOSED: And last but not least - a survey about sanitary protection - open to all UK women - and you could win a £50 Amazon voucher for sharing your views.

Thanks so much and best of luck with the prize draws!

smile
MNHQ

Bloodyteenagers Fri 21-Feb-14 19:36:16

Mignonette.
By buying the products from a supermarket, amazon, chemist whatever, the charity would benefit more.
For the cost of £3.85 chances are 50p ok being generous £1 will go to the charity.
Avoid the website, donate yourself to the charity, the charity gain a lot more. It is also very odd they don't say how much. For all we know from the money they are charging you, 5p could go to the charity.
We don't know because they don't say and I would be very interested in MN trying to find this out.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 19:59:01

If you know it is daft to be embarrassed then you should want the stigma to be removed so that others don't go through what you do, rather than encouraging people to think that menstruation is shameful and protection should be delivered in "discreet packaging

I should want the stigma removing is implying that I do not.

I have posted threads and links to sites supporting the provision of sanitary protection to women in other countries less fortunate than ours and have been financially supporting these initiatives for the last few months.

So I don't need to be be told that. Thanks.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 20:01:19

I think your own issues are leading you to take things too personally.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 20:06:32

Spare me the cod psychology.

Your comment was passive aggressive whereas at least i am straight forward enough to make my annoyance transparent.

My 'issues' as you call them grin are that I find it mildly embarrassing to buy tampons in a supermarket and be served by a young bloke and yes I am aware that it is a perfectly natural monthly occurrence yada yada. It cause me no inconvenience, doesn't prevent me from carrying it out and is really not that much of an issue.

Just as many of you wouldn't wander around with a sodding great dildo in your Waitrsoe trolley- and sex is a perfectly natural function that rather more people engage in. Now that would bother me not that much smile.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 20:14:28

I think as soon as you start being rude you lose any semblance of being "straight forward". You are the only person showing aggression.

I referred to your problem as "issues" as you yourself said "sadly I get embarrassed and I know full well this is daft". I didn't repeat your assertion that it was daft (which would have been rude).

All I want is people not to be encouraged to think that basic bodily functions are shameful. Your opinions on that do not affect my beliefs.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 20:19:19

No I repeat - look at your initial post.

What you replied was pA and that was after your incredulous and angry assertion that you couldn't believe that any women ion 2014 would find it embarrassing.

Well some do- you don't represent us all. Some others would maybe like this service. Quite a few of you might bother to google some of the charities in this field and actually donate to them instead. Direct your anger towards the fact that school attendance falls away massively when young girls menstruate in India instead of a company that is at least trying to highlight this issue. I've seen precious little about it on here until now.

In fact you've spent more energy tirading against Daisy than you have about this issue which is pretty self indulgent.

catsofa Fri 21-Feb-14 20:19:30

I would so love to live in a world where I might bump into work colleagues at Tesco and notice they have a big plastic green dildo in their trolley grin... but I would be too embarrassed to buy mine there so would have to order charity dildos online... would be one less thing to worry about, anyway!

N.B. this comment isn't intended to side with anyone or contribute so the somewhat cross words being swapped up thread, I have come here purely to relish the dildo in supermarket trolley mental image.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 20:21:33

Posted too soon -darn it.

You then implied in your reply that if you know it is daft to be embarrassed then you should....

That all important tome, you see. You comment was not made in a pleasant manner- it was judgey.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 20:22:24

Cat

grin. Do Tesco's sell them? Might consider a swap from Waitrose if so wink

puddock Fri 21-Feb-14 20:30:08

I fear I'm useless to Auntie Daisy as (besides using reusable sanpro anyway) I have PCOS and totally irregular periods, always have done, so monthly deliveries for my "monthlies" - bleargh - would not work out. I'd be drowning in discreet packaging within a year. Ah well.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 20:30:59

For heaven's sake - donate directly instead of lining some bloke's pockets. Why pay a third person to make a charitable donation? Support a charity by all means, but this Auntie Daisy firm just comes across as making profit in the name of charity.

Yes, I find it astonishing that an adult could be embarrassed to buy sanitary protection. That isn't passive aggressive or angry. That is stating my feelings. Are people embarrassed to buy toilet paper? What is the difference? I want my DD to grow up not feeling embarrassed by basic bodily functions. I therefore will not support a company who try to suggest that periods are shameful. They're not.

I have never tried to suggest I represent anyone other than myself. Where is your anger coming from?

Your comment about my "self indulgence" is hilarious. You know nothing about me or my donations and preferred charities. My "tirade" as you call it is against someone trying to benefit from someone else's charity by making women feel bad about themselves. I have not criticised the actual charity once. I do not feel I have to advertise how charitable I am when I am discussing my opinions on MN. Those who bleat on about donating to charity are not doing it for the benefit of the charity, in my experience.

Your outright aggression towards me is bizarre. You have tried to insult me by calling me a feminist. That is the oddest way to insult a woman. I take it as a compliment.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 20:36:01

Why do you find it astonishing?

I have spent my entire working life coming across adults with all kinds of embarrassments- many about things that wouldn't phase me. We are all different and it doesn't indicate 'issues' per se. My daughter and stepdaughters are all perfectly blase about it; I even changed my daughters protection after she had scoliosis surgery. My son will go out and buy them so no harm done smile.

Most charitable enterprises benefit indirectly some third or second party. The charitable world has relied on this form of altruistic egosim for want of a better description for a long time.

My anger towards you is based your scathing initial comment about who on earth finds it embarrassing in 2014. That in itself is not that supportive of people who live their life and think differently to you because it demonstrates a complete inability to step outside of your own lived experience.

You are no more or less feminist than me in that respect.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 20:41:59

I think you are angry at the wrong person, or your anger is misplaced.

I am astonished that people still feel a perfectly ordinary bodily function is embarrassing. Yes, astonished. Why is it embarrassing? Why aren't people questioning that? Why is it acceptable for a company to advertise itself based on embarrassment? Why is it scathing to ask why people feel this way so long after female emancipation?

Yes, I can understand people can be embarrassed by things - but that doesn't make it right. Surely we should be fighting against the repression of embarrassment? That is my point. Empathy is completely different to acceptance.

I cannot see anything in the FAQs of Auntie Daisy to suggest any form of altruism.

You were the one who tried to use feminism as an insult. It was my choice to take it as a compliment.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 20:43:57

I would never pronounce that I find it 'astonishing' that some people in 2014 are embarrassed to defecate on a bed pan or urinate in from of a nurse. I wouldn't pronounce it astonishing that some women find smears or breast exams embarrassing.

That is the difference - you presume to speak for all women and imply wrong in their own feelings.

And making PA negative comments like that about the feelings of another woman makes you no feminist.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 20:48:56

None of those examples are a regular occurrence for people in good health, living their normal lives, with no medical intervention. You are using the straw man argument technique. Unusual or unfamiliar occurrences can naturally unsettle people and make the feel uncomfortable.

By the age of 20 most people will have had periods for between 6 and 10 years. That is not the same at all.

I do not presume to speak for all women. I have never said anything to suggest that. My opinions are my own. That is what you have said. That does not make it a fact.

I repeat, I can only see aggression coming from your personal attacks on me.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 20:52:09

No i am angry at YOUR comment because the 'if' and 'should' were PA. Your tone was not good.

And are you astonished when women find breast exams embarrassing? Or any of the other examples in my post above? They are all bodily functions too. Would you complain if I told you I was astonished you found something embarrassing if I was your HCP for example?

Respecting peoples right to wanting more privacy or discretion over bodily functions etc is more important than preaching an assumption that a desire for discretion is automatically borne out of maladjustment. In my case I have no embarrassment dealing with other women's menstruation and in my RL have often had to especiallly w/ regard to women too unwell to self care. So I have to refute that my embarrassment for myself is perpetuating this in other women, men because it is not.

Maybe Daisy have gone about this in the wrong manner, maybe not but all charitable associations involve gain on both sides and it is naive to assume otherwise. I just wanted to say that I would probably use a mail order service although I actually couldn't care less what packaging they came in.

Oodhousekeeping Fri 21-Feb-14 20:54:10

Mnhq- the meningitis one doesn't allow for those who now know more after a child having meningitis. My answers are a bit odd on that one.

The Aubtie Daisy one was an insult ( though I like graze boxes --when they are free--). There's a lot if ways to buy things now if you don't want to be seen and a hell of a lot cheaper.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 20:58:07

Nonsense- regular preventative health care initiatives are not unusual. As women we are always being poked and prodded.

I asked you about your claim that you felt it astonishing that we are still embarrassed about bodily functions and why you only apply this to menstruation.

Your astonishment was applied to how you believe women should think and feel in 2014. You were not just speaking for yourself - you were assuming that what you felt should be a universal truth.

Well it isn't. And again, would you find it astonishing that quite a few people would not defecate or urinate in front of a partner of friend or discuss it/refer to it? After all even more people poop than menstruate.

You see I don''t find many bodily functions or human habits embarrassing but I don't assume or get astonished that not everybody feels this way.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 20:59:28

No, read my post. I am not astonished at those because they are not every day occurrences.

Your anger is misplaced. Be angry at the way society has conditioned people to be embarrassed by normal bodily functions.

I am not going to get you to understand that actually my point of view mirrors yours. Your help for your daughter and your feeling "daft" is exactly the same emotion - you know you shouldn't feel daft and I don't want you to feel daft. You are too busy getting hung up on words in a post where you have assigned one meaning where I have meant another.

My annoyance is with a company that perpetuates this oppression, not that mail order is a bad idea. By all means use mail order. However I think you should question just exactly how charitable Auntie Daisy is. As I suggested upthread, it is probably better for the charity to have you buy them from Amazon and donate directly.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 21:01:30

I cannot understand why people don't fart, shit and pee in front of their families. Does that help?

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 21:04:41

OK - we'll have to call a truce. I will go and reread this all.

And here are some great charities- Lunapads is in $ but you can still donate-

[http://splashurl.com/ojywfmr Lunapads]]

Afripads

There is a journalist who has written a fantastic piece on Indian girls and the issues they face. She is also the author of a recent book on travelling and life on on a container ship. I will try to find her name.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 21:05:13
AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 21:06:58

Thanks for the links. Will have a good look at them now and pass them on.

Mignonette Fri 21-Feb-14 21:08:41

Some of them have FB pages too.

AnneEyhtMeyer Fri 21-Feb-14 21:14:57

Can't get the Lunapads link to work.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now