Please note: This topic is for discussions about the surveys Mumsnet is running. It's not the place for promoting other surveys or market-research requests. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a (largish-scale) survey about your product or business on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Take part in a survey about genetic testing for The Wellcome Trust

(52 Posts)
TheOtherHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 30-May-13 15:43:27

We've been asked by the Wellcome Trust Sanger Institute to ask Mumsnetters to fill in a survey they're running on genetic testing.

Here's what they say about the survey: "Your genes can tell you about your past, present and future medical health. Very soon, full genome testing (the ability to look at all 20,000+ genes) will be available in the health service. Like Angelina Jolie, you could have a genetic test and find out what you are at risk from. What would you want to know? Alzheimers? Cancer? Mental health issues? Or maybe you'd rather not know? Our research from Cambridge (www.genomethics.org) will have a direct impact on the way this testing is offered, find out about the possibilities and the ethical issues raised by this (no prior knowledge about genetics needed)."

The survey is open to to everyone so please take part and pass on to any friends/family you think might be interested.

Please click here to take part.

Many thanks,
MNHQ

QuizteamBleakley Tue 20-Aug-13 12:15:25

Done. I admit to knowing very little about genome mapping but being a bit intrigued. I'm adopted and know nothing of my biological parents health / ancestry. Now I have two DS's and think my curiosity in wanting them to know about any genetic 'defects' would see me Googling the hundreds of incidental findings just so I could 'know' to fill in the gaps. Also rather suspect I am descended from some kind of nobility grin

Really made me think about the implications both personally and for health professionals and institutions. Very good survey.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now