This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED: Do you do paid work at home: either for yourself or for an employer? If so please take a few minutes to complete a short survey: you could win a £250 voucher

(85 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 03-May-12 16:38:02

We have been asked to find Mumsnetters to complete a survey - we are looking for mums (or mums to be) who undertake any kind of paid work at home.

This would include full or part time work at home, being self employed and working from home, running a business from home, working some of your working week at home, being a freelancer etc..

The survey is about your views and experiences of working at home as well as energy use at home.

If this is you, please take a few minutes to complete this survey - everyone who does will be entered into a prize draw where one winner will get a £250 voucher for Capital Bonds - this can be spent at over 160 retailers (including John Lewis, Boots, B&Q, Homebase and many more!).

Here's the survey link

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

BIWItheBold Fri 04-May-12 21:54:41

I did feel that the questions indicated a singular lack of understanding about people (and women) who work at home. But I'm also not sure that the way this questionnaire was written will give them much more insight into what it's really like.

Still, if they want to do any qualitative work to explore it further - I'm your man! (so to speak)

Katiebeau Fri 04-May-12 22:00:05

Done.

fotheringhay Fri 04-May-12 22:36:25

Done. But I use childcare (downstairs) while I'm working (upstairs). Could anyone work at the same time as looking after a toddler? confused

SardineQueen Fri 04-May-12 22:41:46

Sometimes I have to try a bit.

It goes like this

Don't touch the computer NO DON'T TOUCH THE COMPUTER What WHAT? Are you hungry? Are you thirsty? Look it's peppa pig. Over there look it's peppa pig. PEPPA PIG LOOK AT THE TELLY Just for five minutes then I will play lego. Now look at Peppa Pig LOOK AT PEPPA PIG! No, please don't touch the computer DON'T TOUCH ad infinitum

Short answer = no you can't work with a toddler there

membrillo Fri 04-May-12 22:43:19

Yay BIWI! - Working from home, even as she types grin

BIWItheBold Fri 04-May-12 22:47:05

<stands to attention>

fotheringhay Fri 04-May-12 22:52:41

Sardine grin I pity your blood pressure on those occasions!

SardineQueen Fri 04-May-12 23:02:04

I guess the main thing they need to take away from this survey is that working from home is still work, and the same rules apply as if you are working away from the home and whether you are a "mum" or anyone else.

I can't think of any work I could reasonably get done with the kids here. Even the housework (which is work obv although unpaid) is restricted to a few tasks that won't be too tricky to be "helped" with.

Done. Some of the questions didn't really seem to understand the issues though.

membrillo Sat 05-May-12 00:16:55

Why are you BOLD BIWI?

MeDented Sat 05-May-12 00:34:19

Done

twofingerstoGideon Sat 05-May-12 07:06:47

done

Anchorwoman Sat 05-May-12 07:12:18

What a strange survey! I, like many others here, use paid child care and work from home for my employer. Why the assumption that mothers work from home in order to look after their children at the same time?

lemniscate Sat 05-May-12 08:23:54

Done. Strange not just for childcare assumptions but also fixation in strange things - asking if I leave the tap on while I do things more often than before???

fotheringhay Sat 05-May-12 08:39:53

Exactly. You wouldn't expect a childminder to be able to do other paid work at the same time. They'd explode!

MsGee Sat 05-May-12 08:59:57

Done

lemniscate I had to laugh at the tap q too. As if I lost the ability to turn off taps during working hours because I set up my own business.

It does assume that there is no childcare involved. Most self employed mums I know have some childcare provision ... We just find that it's not enough and you have to work at night too.

SardineQueen that is spot on. Although my DD turned four recently and for the first time this week I did an hours work whilst she watched a film. there is hope for the future!

At least the survey did not use the term Mumtrepreneur. That makes my skin crawl...

fuckwittery Sat 05-May-12 09:34:47

Yes I thought some of the questions were odd too. I work round my children's needs when I'm working from home but in the sense that I start work at 9.30am after drop offs, pause for 45 mins at about 2.45 to go and do school run and drop DD1 off at the childminders, and then be ready to stop again for 5.30pm to go and pick the kids up. During the actual workingfromhome bit, all I am doing is working. The house doesn't get messy with kids playing while I work, and it certainly doesn't get tidied either.

BIWItheBold Sat 05-May-12 09:35:16

membrillo - I have morphed from being BIWIWhoMustBeObeyed - from my role on the Low Carb Bootcamp threads to BIWItheBold, because I have to shout at my charges quite a lot to vaguely attempt to keep them on the straight and narrow!

Done grin

PigeonPie Sat 05-May-12 16:27:05

done too.

Gazza, I'm a parish clerk for 3 parishes and I do other virtual PA stuff on a self-employed basis.

BackforGood Sat 05-May-12 16:36:49

I think it depends on the ages of your dc though. If you have pre-schoolers, then obviously you can't really be doing work while they were there (work you needed to concentrate on, anyway), however, if you have older children, then it means it can save on childcare, as they can be of that 'inbetween age' where you feel they are too young to walk home, let themselves in, and be on their own for a couple of hours before you get in, but they don't need you to entertain them as such while they are there after school. My 'being in the house' means ds can't spend 2 hours on the x-box which he would if I weren't there, is a great bonus (not cash measurable, as my 10 yr old being able to be here because I'm in the house, does, as otherwise I'd still be paying out of school care for her).

I too wondered about why working from home would render you unable to turn off taps ?? hmm

CoffeeRevel Sat 05-May-12 18:35:10

Done smile

PermanentlyOnEdge Sat 05-May-12 19:46:28

Done

nah1974 Sat 05-May-12 20:01:28

Donesmile

ninja Sat 05-May-12 21:29:48

done!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now