This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Take part in a short survey about Big Red Button and win a £250 Amazon voucher

(47 Posts)
NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Nov-11 17:04:22

We've been asked by TappApps to find out what you think of their new service - called Big Red Button. It has just launched in the UK and Ireland and they would like to find out what you think about it so they can promote it most effectively.

Please note, Mumsnet research panel members may have seen this survey before - if so, there is no need to complete it again, we just need a few more responses which is why it's now on the site, thanks.

Before you complete the survey we'd like you to do two things:
1) read the information below about Big Red Button and
2) watch the video on their website - which gives an example of how and when it might come in handy

Everyone who takes part and enters their details at the end will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Amazon voucher.

Please note that although the survey asks if you own a smartphone, you don't need to have one to take part in the survey - it's open to all Mumsnetters in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

So, please watch the video first by clicking on this link.

And then read this information from TappApps about the Big Red Button service (please note that TappApps wants to find out if you'd consider paying for the service and when you think you might use it, so they've provided the explanation below about how it would work if you did subscribe, but please be assured you won't receive any marketing as a result of this survey):

"Big Red Button is a personal emergency support service that you can access directly from an app on your mobile phone. If you need help, or you feel vulnerable or unsafe, pressing the Big Red Button will connect you with our 24-hour helpline where trained staff will offer reassurance, support and, if necessary, an emergency response. Whether you're worried about returning to an empty car park late at night or feel threatened as you're walking home, the Big Red Button means you always have a direct line to someone who knows who you are and where you are.
How does it work?
When you download the app and register your details, calling the Big Red Button will connect you directly to our support centre. Our trained staff can stay on the phone with you until you feel safe again, or talk to you and guide you through a situation. If you need practical support, we can conference in your nominated contacts e.g. your partner, friends or parent, or contact the emergency services, all while staying on the line to you. Crucially, your location will be transmitted directly to us so we know where you are and can convey this information to others.
When would I use it?
You may never use it - just having it on your phone and knowing help is available can give you the peace of mind you need. You may use it for reassurance in situations where you feel nervous or vulnerable, such as the time between your car breaking down and help arriving, or if you have to walk home alone from work or school. You can also use it in critical situations. We can reach friends, family and the emergency services on your behalf and stay on the line with you until help arrives. Likewise, you could find it useful to have on your child's phone or another family member's so that they have an easy way to access help should they feel they're in trouble.
What are the benefits?
- You only have to make one call. We can conference in any of your nominated contacts as well as the emergency services, all while staying on the line to you. There's no need to make multiple phone calls, you don't have to decide who to call first and you don't have to worry that your call might be missed.
- We know your location. Your location is automatically transmitted to us so you don't have to worry about working out exactly where you are.
- We're always available. We're open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. What's more, because we bill retrospectively, it doesn't matter if your phone is out of credit.
- Non-judgemental. We'll take all your calls seriously, no matter what the issue. We're especially useful at times when you feel afraid or vulnerable but don't want to call the emergency services or worry your friends and family.
- Peace of mind. Just knowing you have access to support, reassurance and, if necessary, an emergency response can help take the fear out of a situation. If you do need emergency help, we can quickly connect you to the emergency services.
Availability and costs
Big Red Button works on iPhones, Nokia smartphones and Android smartphones. It will be available for download from any of the app stores. It will cost £8.50/¬10 to download, which includes your first year's subscription.
Should you need to press your Big Red Button, calls will cost £1.50/¬1.75 per minute, up to a maximum charge of £25/¬30. This can either be billed to a credit card or by a reverse text to your phone, which will be charged to your monthly bill or deducted from your credit. After the first year, there will be an annual subscription fee of £8.50/¬10."

Sorry there is so much information but as it's a new concept we want to ensure you know as much about it as possible before answering the survey. Here's the link:

Please click here to take part in the survey.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

StewieGriffinsMom Thu 17-Nov-11 20:17:55

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

SoupDragon Fri 18-Nov-11 07:22:10

How exactly is is misogynistic? I watched it and thought "Hmmm... I could see that being useful for my son when he comes home from school alone in the dark. You could equally argue it is Man Hating because it portrays men as predatory beasts if you wanted to look for insults in everything.

ouryve Fri 18-Nov-11 15:23:10

I had mixed feelings about this when i saw it. My first thought when I saw the video is "don't walk anywhere you might feel a bit vulnerable with music blasting in your ears and £400 worth of electronics 2 inches from your nose."

ItsTimeToBurnThisDiscoDown Fri 18-Nov-11 15:23:49

Done

SirHumphreyAppleby Fri 18-Nov-11 17:28:35

I sort of have something like this already, but in the form of a badge provided by work as I work in the evenings in the community. Tbh, it seems like a good idea, but I can never be arsed to switch it on. With the one I have, you have to log your address and postcode on the system before you go into each visit, so it's a bit of a pita, but you have a one way channel available to a support centre, they can hear you, but you can't hear them. This system is obviously a bit easier to use though from the sound of it.

ThePsychicSatsuma Fri 18-Nov-11 20:16:59

done.
cant the police gps you if you ring 999 and you need help?

it's the location thing thats good; I never know where I am

if you dial 112 from a mobile ypou get thru to the most ;local call centre (emergency services) AND they pinpoint your location to within a few metres. helpful if you don't know where you are, or are too flustered to work it out.

having been actually raped tho, this wouldn't have helped in that situation. (SGM is right about rape myths)
and also having been jumped in the street, it wouldn't have helped there either as i wouldn't have had time to ring it.

or maybe I'm wrong... maybe in the street jumping situation i might have called when it first felt dodgy (whereas i wouldn't have called anyone else coz i felt i was being 'silly')... and another time when i was followed, it would have been a good one to use too, tho how you're supposed to get your phone out, press the button and have a chat while running away, I'm not sure...

seeker Sun 20-Nov-11 14:49:10

What SGM said. I came onto say the same, but I couldn't put it better than she did!

HauntyMython Sun 20-Nov-11 17:07:03

I took the survey via the panel, am I still in with a tiny chance of the voucher or is the competition only for new entrants? smile

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 21-Nov-11 09:10:59

HauntyMython - you're still in with a chance - the prize draw is for both panel and on-site entrants

HavePatience Mon 21-Nov-11 22:08:50

Done

Grey24 Tue 22-Nov-11 11:04:23

I like the service, but I would then be too scared to use it at £1.50 per minute! That would make a scary/vulnerable situation feel even more scary as the pounds added up! I bet they would find ways of making you talk for longer to keep their payments at maxium, too (sorry for the cynicism, but I just know they would be given targets of how much money to be getting from each call).
If it was a one-off annual fee, I might get it (or for my mum, who lives on her own) - but not when you then have to pay per-minute. That's exploitation of a vulnerable situation!
I hope the marketers read the MN comments as well as the survey...

TheRhubarb Tue 22-Nov-11 12:44:17

I think it would be useful for those not wanting to bother the emergency services, but then they probably wouldn't want to pay for and bother that service too.

It can put you in touch with family and friends - so can your phone. It can call emergency services - so can your phone. You know what would be more useful? A rape alarm app.

This is a costly service and I think the company are making money on the back of people's fears.

However the only useful service it provides is being able to pinpoint your location, so if you are in trouble, with a broken down car or feeling vulnerable you can call them and ask them to pass on your location to either the police or relatives. I can see that being incredibly useful. So whereas it might not stop an attack, it can ensure that help arrives quickly.

The makers need to bring the price down - a lot.

insanityscratching Tue 22-Nov-11 14:38:05

Done although I have the same reservations that many others have already mentioned namely cost and whether you'd need to call somebody to call the police or a friend of yours confused

newbiedoobiedoo Tue 22-Nov-11 23:12:12

Seems a pretty expensive waste of time to me! I don't need some call centre worker who couldn't give a fiddlers about me to phone my dh/mum/sis etc for me do I?! Wouldn't it be cheaper for me to do it myself?! Pointless IMO!

TheTempest Tue 22-Nov-11 23:48:44

Done . I think it's a good idea tbh. I have been in situations where it wouldn't be appropriate to call 999 but this service could help. I agree it's too expensive though as it's subscription and then a very expensive call fee.

seeker Wed 23-Nov-11 13:40:30

I can't actually imagine circumstances where this would not be a positive hinderance. Apart from anything else, having one hand taken up with a very expensive phone may notnbe the wisest thing thing to do......

JulesJules Wed 23-Nov-11 14:52:55

Done.

Not keen.

Happy to be considered for an Amazon voucher though. grin

ColdToast Thu 24-Nov-11 13:24:53

Surely one of the worst things you could do would be to walk along talking about how scared and vulnerable you are when a would-be attacker is only a few feet behind you? confused

As others have said, it's extremely expensive too.

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 28-Nov-11 13:51:41

Thanks to all who took part in this survey either via the panel or on site. We've done the prize draw and the winner of the £250 Amazon voucher is...

eandh

Congratulations! I'll PM you to get your details.

eandh Mon 28-Nov-11 20:12:06

grin thank you x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now