This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Take part in a short survey about Big Red Button and win a £250 Amazon voucher

(47 Posts)
NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 16-Nov-11 17:04:22

We've been asked by TappApps to find out what you think of their new service - called Big Red Button. It has just launched in the UK and Ireland and they would like to find out what you think about it so they can promote it most effectively.

Please note, Mumsnet research panel members may have seen this survey before - if so, there is no need to complete it again, we just need a few more responses which is why it's now on the site, thanks.

Before you complete the survey we'd like you to do two things:
1) read the information below about Big Red Button and
2) watch the video on their website - which gives an example of how and when it might come in handy

Everyone who takes part and enters their details at the end will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Amazon voucher.

Please note that although the survey asks if you own a smartphone, you don't need to have one to take part in the survey - it's open to all Mumsnetters in the UK and Republic of Ireland.

So, please watch the video first by clicking on this link.

And then read this information from TappApps about the Big Red Button service (please note that TappApps wants to find out if you'd consider paying for the service and when you think you might use it, so they've provided the explanation below about how it would work if you did subscribe, but please be assured you won't receive any marketing as a result of this survey):

"Big Red Button is a personal emergency support service that you can access directly from an app on your mobile phone. If you need help, or you feel vulnerable or unsafe, pressing the Big Red Button will connect you with our 24-hour helpline where trained staff will offer reassurance, support and, if necessary, an emergency response. Whether you're worried about returning to an empty car park late at night or feel threatened as you're walking home, the Big Red Button means you always have a direct line to someone who knows who you are and where you are.
How does it work?
When you download the app and register your details, calling the Big Red Button will connect you directly to our support centre. Our trained staff can stay on the phone with you until you feel safe again, or talk to you and guide you through a situation. If you need practical support, we can conference in your nominated contacts e.g. your partner, friends or parent, or contact the emergency services, all while staying on the line to you. Crucially, your location will be transmitted directly to us so we know where you are and can convey this information to others.
When would I use it?
You may never use it - just having it on your phone and knowing help is available can give you the peace of mind you need. You may use it for reassurance in situations where you feel nervous or vulnerable, such as the time between your car breaking down and help arriving, or if you have to walk home alone from work or school. You can also use it in critical situations. We can reach friends, family and the emergency services on your behalf and stay on the line with you until help arrives. Likewise, you could find it useful to have on your child's phone or another family member's so that they have an easy way to access help should they feel they're in trouble.
What are the benefits?
- You only have to make one call. We can conference in any of your nominated contacts as well as the emergency services, all while staying on the line to you. There's no need to make multiple phone calls, you don't have to decide who to call first and you don't have to worry that your call might be missed.
- We know your location. Your location is automatically transmitted to us so you don't have to worry about working out exactly where you are.
- We're always available. We're open 24 hours a day, 365 days a year. What's more, because we bill retrospectively, it doesn't matter if your phone is out of credit.
- Non-judgemental. We'll take all your calls seriously, no matter what the issue. We're especially useful at times when you feel afraid or vulnerable but don't want to call the emergency services or worry your friends and family.
- Peace of mind. Just knowing you have access to support, reassurance and, if necessary, an emergency response can help take the fear out of a situation. If you do need emergency help, we can quickly connect you to the emergency services.
Availability and costs
Big Red Button works on iPhones, Nokia smartphones and Android smartphones. It will be available for download from any of the app stores. It will cost £8.50/¬10 to download, which includes your first year's subscription.
Should you need to press your Big Red Button, calls will cost £1.50/¬1.75 per minute, up to a maximum charge of £25/¬30. This can either be billed to a credit card or by a reverse text to your phone, which will be charged to your monthly bill or deducted from your credit. After the first year, there will be an annual subscription fee of £8.50/¬10."

Sorry there is so much information but as it's a new concept we want to ensure you know as much about it as possible before answering the survey. Here's the link:

Please click here to take part in the survey.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

MotherPanda Wed 16-Nov-11 17:33:00

Done, Not sure about it though.

tooearlymustdache Wed 16-Nov-11 18:03:39

haven't we already had a survey on this?

sorry if i'm mistaken, but it seems pretty familiar to me...

Hulababy Wed 16-Nov-11 18:14:37

I think it was done via the panel thing on MN too, are you signed up for that?

I can't say I would buy it/use it tbh and thing it is rather expensive as well.

The questions were different, but it still looks like a rip off to me. 999 is free!

gazzalw Wed 16-Nov-11 18:21:38

The problem is that it could be very, very costly. If you signed up a nervous child you could end up very out of pocket....

What are your reservations MotherPanda?

Tee2072 Wed 16-Nov-11 18:29:12

There was a whole thread on this when the panel saw this. It was not complimentary.

SoupDragon Wed 16-Nov-11 18:34:02

I think, in principle, it is a good idea. However, its too expensive.

999 is not always appropriate.

katz Wed 16-Nov-11 18:34:52

Did the survey as part of the panel or are there extra bits on this one?

lubeybooby Wed 16-Nov-11 18:56:26

Done - I think it's quite a good idea but a bit expensive

rainbow77 Wed 16-Nov-11 19:13:52

Done

MotherPanda Wed 16-Nov-11 19:15:11

I have reservations because I wouldn't use it - I would call 999, if appropriate or call DH/family if I was feeling vulnerable.

I wouldn't pay a £8 subscription, and then £1.50 per minute for a stranger to comfort me.

If this was a free service, then maybe I would. I just don't have that sort of money to waste!

MotherPanda Wed 16-Nov-11 19:16:17

I should add that I have friends who certainly would use this service, and I will mention it to them - because they are very nervous when out alone, feel vulnerable. They currently carry rape alarms, so this is the sort of thing that would appeal to them.

Firawla Wed 16-Nov-11 20:21:49

done
as others have said I am not sure about the sound of it, very expensive and I don't really get what help they can give, if someone wants to attack you they still can cos they are only on the phone not physically next to you and in a real emergency its quicker to phone 999 yourself with no middleman

Tortington Wed 16-Nov-11 23:10:36

load of balls thats what it is. about as much help as a chocolate fireguard.

MollieO Wed 16-Nov-11 23:40:26

I'm really surprised that MN are still pushing this rubbish. It was dreadful the first time we did the survey so I've no intention of doing this one. I assume that MNHQ must need the money but taking it from a company peddling this is pretty low.

MollieO Wed 16-Nov-11 23:45:17

I checked the survey. It doesn't include the utterly dreadful scaremongering advert that the last one did. Shame as no one who viewed that would think this was anything but a ridiculous idea.

Dillydaydreaming Thu 17-Nov-11 07:42:20

Done, I think it's expensive though.

picnicbasketcase Thu 17-Nov-11 09:42:35

Maybe it would be of use to some people, but personally I think it's a bit too expensive.

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

done

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Nov-11 10:51:13

Thanks to everyone who has completed the survey so far.

If you are on the MN panel you may well have completed this survey already (as the OP says) - but there is now one additional question. There's no need to complete the survey a second time - we are now just looking for a few more responses.

We want everyone to complete the survey - regardless of what you think of the idea - all views are welcome. There is a box at the end of the survey for additional comments to the app developers.

thanks, Ann

kandinskysgirl Thu 17-Nov-11 12:19:47

I have done it, I feel that it might target people who are feeling vulnerable and in fact don't need to part with money to create a false sense of security.

SardineQueen Thu 17-Nov-11 18:55:08

The bit in the OP that says "watch this first" links to a ridiculously scaremongering and totally stupid advert, which I assume is the one people are talking about.

Going to leave my feedback now.

KRITIQ Thu 17-Nov-11 19:52:34

This was my main feedback:

Calls seem quite pricey. I think the same benefits could be achieved by encouraging children to have trusted adults on speed dial and know how to contact 999 (and when it's appropriate.) Adults should have trusted people on speed dial and 999 as a matter of course. I also felt the video itself was a bit "scaremongering." In a situation like the one depicted - an intimidating man following you, chances are you wouldn't have that much time to make a call and talk things through with someone. It kind of gives a false sense of security. I would hate to think people would pay up for something because they were "scared into it."

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now