Please note: This topic is for discussions about the surveys Mumsnet is running. It's not the place for promoting other surveys or market-research requests. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a (largish-scale) survey about your product or business on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Do you have a child aged 8+? Talk to us about alcohol and win a £250 high street voucher

(52 Posts)
NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 16-Aug-11 10:16:44

Anheuser-Busch InBev UK, the brewing company, would like to find out what Mumsnetters think about their child(ren) and alcohol, in terms of what (if any) experiences their child(ren) have had with alcohol, and also if Mumsnetters have discussed alcohol or responsible drinking with their child(ren).

Please take a few minutes to complete this short survey. It is open to all UK Mumsnetters with at least one child aged 8 years or older. If you have more than one child aged 8 or older, please answer thinking about your eldest child only.

We're aware that children's experiences and parental views and experiences can vary quite a bit so if you feel that any of the questions aren't relevant to you and your child(ren), please try to answer them according to your view/experience or leave them blank.

Everyone who takes part and enters their details at the end will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 Love2Shop voucher.

Please click here to take part in the survey.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 23-Aug-11 18:05:32

Thanks for the comments about the survey question - we think the main area of concern is Q11 about buying drinks for children. It's a fair point that there is no option for the situation where you have allowed your child a sip of your own drink rather than bought them one specifically. We're not trying to catch anyone out, it's an oversight on our part when constructing the survey (sadly we're not perfect ALL the time wink). Anheuser-Busch InBev UK who commissioned the survey are not trying to criticise parents and the focus for the analysis will be on talking to children about alcohol so we've decided it is easier to simply delete that question rather than change it now as this is no good for those kind folks who have completed the survey already.

Any additional queries please do let us know and we'll answer them.
Best, MNHQ

ginmakesitallok Tue 23-Aug-11 19:06:54

Of course they are not going to criticise parents - the more booze we buy the better.....

I don't think our user names help, Gin.
smile

done

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Thu 25-Aug-11 11:13:47

It is a ridiculous survey. It doesn't distinguish between my dd (who has, at 15, tasted alcohol at home, and probably had half an alcopop at a friend's house), and ds1 who by 15 was regularly drinking large quantities of alcohol at friends' houses and in parks, and was served in our local off-licence and going to over-18 pubs and clubs.

It also only gives one possible "worry" about alcohol - I want to tick "might hurt themselves/get pregnant/get into trouble" and "might become dependent" - in fact i want to tick the whole lot.

By the way, should I complet it three times, for the three kids?

My children are regularly supplied drink by other children's parents hmm. In fact, when my teens go to people's houses I no longer bother checking if the parents are there, as I have discovered that there is more likely to be a lot of alcohol if parents are there than if they aren't. Very odd, imo.

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 25-Aug-11 11:34:42

Maryz - in the introduction we say this 'If you have more than one child aged 8 or older, please answer thinking about your eldest child only.'

The 'worry' question asks for the thing you are most concerned about, which is why you can only tick one option.

Maryz Cote D'Ivoire Thu 25-Aug-11 11:40:50

Oops, sorry, I missed that blush.

Though the answers would be very different if I was to answer for my younger teens (I completed it for ds1).

I know it is "most worried", but I still feel there is more than one worry. I'm not really sure what the survey is getting at. I don't think the surveyers really want to know "what Mumsnetters think about their child(ren) and alcohol, in terms of what (if any) experiences their child(ren) have had with alcohol", they just want to be able to say X% of parents talk to their children, Y% of parents give their children alcohol.

I shouldn't have bothered [grumpy].

Mermaidspam Sat 27-Aug-11 00:11:05

Done

FlyMeToTheMooncup Sat 27-Aug-11 06:25:09

Done, agree there wasn't enough distinction between "having a whole drink to themselves" and "being allowed to try a bit" (which I feel should be allowed from fairly young)

Alcohol is strange for us, we don't drink at all due to medication/BFing/allergy, not for any moral reason. So I have worried that my DCs won't actually experience it enough IYSWIM.

princessProudmel Sat 27-Aug-11 09:46:41

Done smile

Doobydoo Sat 27-Aug-11 09:47:17

Done

LynnCSchreiber Sat 27-Aug-11 10:57:10

I have completed the survey, but not put name is as it is for UK MNetters only.

I am quite concerned that the survey is for those with children as young as 8yo. Are there really people who think that children should be drinking from 8yo?

This is the problem with the wording of the survey- there is no distinction between letting a child have a sip of wine, beer, champagne etc. or letting them have a bottle of gin to themselves. My youngest is 8 and has had sips of my drink and a rare watered (lemonade) down sparkling wine for toasting a special occasion.

Done.

DS is 17 now and this has only been as issue in the past couple of years. We've always been very open about alcohol and other issues. We kind of expected him to get paraletic at least once, all teenagers try it, then learn from the hangover the next day - no amount of telling them will give them that lesson! He did that once or twice but now he knows his limits and it's not a big issue.

Anyhoooo, yes I agree the survey could have been worded better with better chosen options, but it's done now...

bubby64 Mon 29-Aug-11 12:55:42

I qualified several of my answer in the box, but not sure if that counts! Again, like other posters, my DTS's have had a sip of wine and beer, and in both cases they said "yuk" and didnt want any more!
I agree with wanting an example of interpretation. Well said Ilikepinkwine.

anewyear Mon 29-Aug-11 15:18:18

Done, Sadly my just 13yr old cannot wait to be 'grown up', and all it entails sad
My almost 10 yr old has 'tasted' wine and larger and yuk , disgusting was his comment.

MNHQ
Will we get any feedback, if thats the right word, on the questionaire?

BoiledEggandToastSoldiers Mon 29-Aug-11 21:30:00

Done

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 30-Aug-11 09:44:36

anewyear - if you take a look at my post slightly further up the thread, we explained that the survey isn't trying to criticise parents and the focus for the analysis will be on talking to children about alcohol. Is this what you mean by feedback on the questionnaire?

Fo0ffyShmoofer Wed 31-Aug-11 11:45:36

Done

anewyear Thu 01-Sep-11 10:48:39

Yes read that, if I thought you were criticising I wouldnt have filled it in grin Im just nosey and would like to know how others deal with the alchohol issue and percenterges of parents who allow their children have a sip/drink, at home or in public as in a restaurant etc, like I said Im nosey & I find it interesting.

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 01-Sep-11 12:18:45

anewyear - it really depends on whether the results are released by InBev - if they are then we'll post a link to them here

This survey is not open to all Mumsnetters, only those who live in the UK, which I don't.

Just read the description more carefully and see it says 'all UK Mumsnetters'. Sorry about that.

dmo Fri 02-Sep-11 08:46:36

i agree on the survey i sound like a bad mum but in truth my 15yr old ds has had a lager sandy with us and we bought him 2 cans of lager and a bottle of lemonaide to take to a bbq during this summer hols

never let him drink just for the sake of it but i feel a controlled apprach will discourage him from sneaking alcohol in yrs to come

elliott Sun 04-Sep-11 20:56:38

As is often the case with these surveys (sorry MN), very badly worded/open to misleading comments.
This 'have a proper chat' about alcohol - I really don't know what they mean by that. Surely your job as a parent is to provide age appropriate information about alcohol (and other things in life, like money, work, sex, drugs etc etc) as you go along? I certainly haven't sat my children down and had a 'proper chat' about alcohol but we have discussed why it is only for adults, what it feels like/makes you do, why it should only be taken in moderation etc etc. (I have dcs aged 7 and 9). As for the 'drinking alcohol' business - mine have had miniscule sips on one or two occasions. I don't really know when I will feel comfortable with them having their own drink - I put 13-14 but no idea really!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now