Please note: This topic is for discussions about the surveys Mumsnet is running. It's not the place for promoting other surveys or market-research requests. If you do that here, we may well delete your thread. If you'd like to discuss running a (largish-scale) survey about your product or business on Mumsnet, please feel free to mail us at insight@mumsnet.com.

NOW CLOSED Take part in a short survey about seasonal flu and be in with a chance of winning a £250 Love2Shop voucher

(57 Posts)
NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 21-Jul-11 15:14:05

We've been asked by a pharmaceutical company to find out what Mumsnetters think about seasonal influenza (aka the flu!) and your views on vaccinating your child(ren) against it. Please note that this survey is about seasonal flu, not avian (bird) or swine or any other type of pandemic flu. Seasonal influenza is characterised by the following symptoms which last for at least a few days:

- Sudden high temperature
- Aches and pains
- Dry cough
- Nausea
- Loss of appetite
- Lethargy

The survey is open to all UK Mumsnetters with at least one child. Please click here to take part.

Everyone who takes part and enters their details at the end will be entered into a prize draw to win £250 of Love2Shop vouchers.

Thanks and good luck with the prize draw!
MNHQ

Tortington Thu 21-Jul-11 15:39:02

i think an option is midssing from q6? or glitch on my puter

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 21-Jul-11 15:59:23

Custardo - sorry about that - was an error in the survey script - should be fixed now, thanks for alerting us to it!

Tortington Thu 21-Jul-11 16:39:47

thats quite alright newgirl Helen, if it had been another member of staff - i wouldn't have bothered telling them as i dont think they work nearly as hard as you do

Tortington Thu 21-Jul-11 16:40:47

certain people always in the toilets doing the makeup for her next telly appt.

Doobydoo Thu 21-Jul-11 17:54:17

I would like to know which company is conducting this survey

Cattleprod Thu 21-Jul-11 17:54:18

Sounds like they are developing a vaccination that's not an injection confused.

Doobydoo Thu 21-Jul-11 17:55:42

Think it rather odd to say 'a pharmaceutical company' with no mention of which onehmm

There's an error on the initial question about whether your kids got flu last year as well - there is a YES missing from the first toggle.

Message withdrawn

TheRealMBJ Thu 21-Jul-11 19:07:53

I started answering, but tbh, I don't want to be involved in big-pharma finding out how to better utilise scare tactics market their products.

I was the only one in my family to have flu last year and it was really miserable!

I think I deserve to win for that.

doughnutty Thu 21-Jul-11 19:35:33

Done.

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 21-Jul-11 19:43:10

Whomovedmychocolate - yes, you're right - another glitch I'd missed - should be fixed now! Thanks for letting us know.

I think I should have appended the phrase 'I have PMT - I may not be rational about flu at the moment and you did ask some odd questions' to my response TBH grin

TheRealMBJ Thu 21-Jul-11 19:49:56

Why are you still at work NewGirl? Did you draw the short straw?

<passes Helen a slice of homemade pizza>

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 21-Jul-11 20:01:08

The Mumsnet Insight team never sleeps MBJ! I've responded to your fridge query btw.

Tee2072 Thu 21-Jul-11 20:11:31

I filled it out but was disappointed that there was no choice for 'wanted them to have it, was told they couldn't' which was where I was at with my son last year. Despite him (possibly) being asthmatic he wasn't allowed any flu jabs.

I thought that too tee for the same reason - I would have taken dd with me when I had mine had that been an option

toomuchmonthatendofthemoney Thu 21-Jul-11 20:48:52

done. took me straight out to the MN home page, assume its ok and my survey has gone through?

aristocat Thu 21-Jul-11 21:16:45

smile good point Tee about refusal for the jab!

Tee2072 Thu 21-Jul-11 21:19:23

Thank you aristo. smile

HavePatience Thu 21-Jul-11 22:33:09

Done

Done. One of the questions was worded very perculiarly. I didn't understand what it was asking! <fick emoticon>

Done

posterofagirl Thu 21-Jul-11 23:42:54

Done

Doobydoo Fri 22-Jul-11 07:56:23

Who is the company??????

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Jul-11 09:05:32

Toomuchmonthatendofthemoney - yes, you're in. You should get taken to the homepage at the end of the survey.

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Jul-11 10:09:57

Doobydoo - the company is AstraZeneca

Doobydoo Fri 22-Jul-11 17:31:34

Thank yousmile

It is flawed. Seasonal flu jabs do contain the swine flu component now.

Dylthan Sat 23-Jul-11 14:02:15

It might not this year though kitten.

It is in this coming season:

Recommendation for flu vaccine
Its the h1n1 component you can see listed. The h1n1 swine flu has virtually replaced other circulating h1n1 viruses, so until a new one comes along or this one drifts substantially the swine flu will stay in the vaccine. However it is different from the seperate vaccine that was initially offered when swine flu fist emerged in that it doesnt have an adjuvant added. (they can now make enough that they don't need to boost supplies)

ShowOfHands Sat 23-Jul-11 18:28:43

Interesting survey. I'm guessing they're looking for a '90% of mothers who don't vaccinate their precious children against flu don't realise it causes pneumonia, encephalitis, meningitis, ugliness and boils' type result.

sybilfaulty Sat 23-Jul-11 21:57:57

done

rabbit54 Sun 24-Jul-11 08:13:26

just completed the seasonal flu survey and it is a biased survey which is about encouraging people to immunise their children. So, its not a survey is propaganda. Its educates us that they may offer children an alternative to an injection to encourage us. It asks us to remember how our child having the flu influenced our work etc. It does not mention the risks of immunisation at all. It does not ask is putting a drug into our child's body necessary.

IDrinkFromTheirSkulls Sun 24-Jul-11 08:39:49

Done wink

LaCidrai Sun 24-Jul-11 11:25:43

done

Meglet Sun 24-Jul-11 13:02:03

done.

Done.

EdithWeston Sun 24-Jul-11 19:47:09

Not doing this - as OYBBK so rightly said, it's fundamentally flawed as "swine flu" is currently classed as a seasonal flu and is included in the seasonal flu jab (it was only ever a single vaccine because of the atypical timing of its emergence and the rapidity of its global spread). I think that misinforming potential participants about how the JCVI includes swine flu in the seasonal flu jab is no way to start a survey - especially as "seasonal flu" is simply an umbrella term for whichever are the expected dominant strains for the coming season. They change every season.

I'm quite shocked at how misleading it is. Blatantly distorting things to get people to reply as they wish. Not a real survey at all.

micra Sun 24-Jul-11 23:00:50

How do I get to the survey? Every time I click on what I think is a link, it just directs me to this thread and not an actual survey...?

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 25-Jul-11 08:19:39
merryberry Mon 25-Jul-11 10:20:49

No way on it to register confounding fact that I am immunosupressed and my whole family are offered it.

Fillybuster Mon 25-Jul-11 15:36:24

done

MrsKwazii Mon 25-Jul-11 16:45:59

Gah! I wrote a long post and then got the 'Oops' message and it disappeared into the ether.

I've completed to be able to make the point that the NHS has enough to be getting on with without adding a vaccination to the schedule that the majority of children don't need. It's playing on the fears of the worried well. When would surgeries find the time to vaccinate all children. And where would the money come to pay for it?

For the majority of people, flu is one of those things that you catch and get over. Pandemic flu excepted.

PfftTheMagicDragonhideGloves Tue 26-Jul-11 09:52:29

I used the comments boxes to express my displeasure wink

Lisatheonewhoeatsdrytoast Tue 26-Jul-11 13:56:03

done. smile

TinyPawz Tue 26-Jul-11 20:06:59

done

Done smile

poppyandsneeze Wed 27-Jul-11 12:58:16

Done.

SilveryMoon Thu 28-Jul-11 19:30:12

Done.
I know suprisingly little about the flu jab blush

dunnit

housemum Sat 30-Jul-11 13:03:47

Didn't vaccinate - but loved the flu campaigns with my DD on the picture grin

NewGirlHelenMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 02-Aug-11 14:25:51

Thanks to everyone who took part in this survey - we've done the prize draw and the winner of the £250 Love2Shop voucher is...

Sidge

Congratulations and happy spending! I'll email you to get your address details for sending the voucher out.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now