Please note: This topic is for Q&A discussions arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in our Site Stuff topic. If you'd like to explore Q&A opportunities, please do feel free to mail us at sales@mumsnet.com.

Interior designer cost London???

(4 Posts)
olea Tue 07-Jan-14 11:53:35

So, hubby and I would like to buy a 3-bedroom home and we've spotted a few that could suit us - the area we are searching is between New Malden and Kingston upon Thames. We have one very big problem though.

Basically we don't know whether it makes more sense to buy a home that has already been modernised and that (at least apparently) doesn't need to be refurbished or a "old shack" which needs a substantial modernisation. We'd be both tempted to buy an affordable place in need of modernisation and to hire an interior designer to completely re-design the place to our own taste but we are a bit concerned about the costs. Our budget to modernise the whole home would be approximately £150,000.00. Do you honestly think that would be enough for a 3 bedroom 1200sq ft home?

Thanks

hi . if you take a look through the property DIY section of Mumsnet there's loads of help and a few designers - NoddyHolder is one and there's me too - but I'm more concept planning than colours ! there's loads of advice for any room you can think of !!

BonaDea Mon 17-Feb-14 20:30:46

We live very close to the area you describe. We bought a 4 bed in very bad condition and over the last three years have rewired, replaced heating, plasterer all walls, loft extension, new kitchen, new bathrooms, redecorating, landscapes garden and replaced most of the sash windows with new (am sure there is more but those are the main things). I'm sure we have spent more than 150k and we didn't have a designer to do everything, we've managed all builders and tradesmen ourselves ( although obv had proper designs drawn up for things like the loft and garden).

So, the budget might be tight, depending on what needs to be done. Then again we have gone high spec in many areas and have done things quite piece meal rather than going ahead and doing one large project.

I think your best bet would be to contact some designers, explain what sort of thing you are looking for and explain cost. And then double that cost and you have your budget.

Good luck. It's hell but will be worth it grin

BonaDea Mon 17-Feb-14 20:31:29

Sorry for all my typos!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now