This topic is for Q&As arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in Site Stuff topic. If want to know about Q&A opportunities, please mail sales@mumsnet.com.

Q for Fiona Barry - triplet boys speech delay?

(3 Posts)
Meltripletmum Fri 13-Sep-13 08:52:47

Hi Fiona my triplet boys will be two next month. The identical twins have only really started babbling in the last 10 weeks (they have up their dummies during daytime at this time too). They can only say a few words, bye bye, mama, car. The singleton has been saying single words for approx 4 months. His vocabulary stretches to about 50 words but he is not joining any up other than counting 1,2,3 up down etc. They were born at 33wks + 4 and in all other areas development is on track. Should I be concerned? Is there anything I can do to bring on their speech. Many thanks

Madlizzy Fri 13-Sep-13 13:17:18

It wouldn't hurt to have a chat with the health visitor, but it's not unusual for identical twins or triplets to talk a little later than their peers. My triplets were born at a similar gestation to yours and whilst my daughter was fairly articulate by age 2 1/2, the identical boys did take a little bit longer. I would start making dummies just for sleep and bedtime too, as they can affect things a bit if they're constantly in their mouths. As for what you can do to bring on their speech, talk to them constantly, sing with them, encourage them to point to things and name them, ask them "what's that? It's a ...." and ask them to repeat. My triplets are now 14 and very articulate. You'd never know that they were early.

Madlizzy Fri 13-Sep-13 13:17:42

Oh, and I know I'm not Fiona, but thought I could help a bit. wink

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now