This topic is for Q&As arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in Site Stuff topic. If want to know about Q&A opportunities, please mail sales@mumsnet.com.

What is a troll?

(4 Posts)
HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Thu 29-Aug-13 22:52:39

Oooh ok that makes sense now - I had thought it was only a word used to describe bullies, but the possible troll had posted something a bit pervy, so it might have been that.

WendyBaropen Thu 29-Aug-13 11:00:18

It's about intention as much as it is action
a troll is someone who posts something hoping to cause hurt, upset or anger, or who posts high drama to get attention, that sort of thing.

NeoMaxiZoomDweebie Thu 29-Aug-13 10:13:35

Well since "Troll hunting" is frowned upon I can only guess that the person was rude or a newbie! Either way...a troll is someone who comes on an internet forum and winds people up on purpose by posting inflammatory remarks or makes up stories to get a reaction.

Sometimes they are perverts who want to get a thrill by getting people to discuss things which wouldn't normally be discussed. Once you've been here a while, you get to know the signs.

HomeIsWhereTheHeartIs Wed 28-Aug-13 18:45:12

I've just read a thread where someone got very excited about "catching" their first troll... I don't understand what it means!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now