Please note: This topic is for Q&A discussions arranged by MNHQ. If you have questions about the site and how it runs, please do post in our Site Stuff topic. If you'd like to explore Q&A opportunities, please do feel free to mail us at sales@mumsnet.com.

ante-natal care on NHS, but where?

(6 Posts)
lynxlynx Wed 14-Aug-13 20:42:50

I am new to the forum and hope that one of you can answer my question based on your experience. I've never been sick and never used NHS in this country so please explain to me if I can:
- chose any consultant anywhere in London, who works in NHS, regardless of which London borough I live in
- chose any hospital to give birth in, regardless of which borough I live in

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 14-Aug-13 21:56:51

No idea on this sorry but didn't want to leave you unanswered.

As far as I know, you don't have to choose a Consultant unless you or your Lo are high risk. Most pregnancies are MW led.

I live between 2 hospitals and used MN local, recommendations from friends and Birth Choice UK to decide.

I'd as MNHQ to move this thread to Pregnancy or Chat. You might get a few more replies smile

And welcome to MN thanks

PassTheCremeEggs Wed 14-Aug-13 22:07:47

You need to make an appointment with your GP first. They will refer you to the community midwives in your area who you'll then have your "booking" appointment with. In this appointment (in addition to answering thousands of health related questions) you choose the hospital you want to give birth in (it'll likely only be a choice or two or three that are local to you). Your 12 week scan will be booked in at this appointment and then after that you'll have regular midwife appointments and another scan at 20 weeks.

You'll be on paper under the care of the consultant at the hospital you choose but in practice if your pregnancy is normal and not high risk you'll only see midwives for your ante natal care and (hopefully) for your delivery. Consultants usually only appear when things go wrong.

Sometimes you can choose a hospital that's not local to your area. But, and this is true of London ones particularly as they are so busy, they often can't fit in people from out of area unless there is a medical need for it.

Hope all that helps

JiltedJohnsJulie Wed 14-Aug-13 22:19:35

Agree with everything above. Forgot to mention that you should have the option of a Homebirth too smile

Alanna1 Fri 23-Aug-13 15:57:59

I chose my hospital at my first appointment with my GP. As far as I know you can choose any (NHS) hospital you want, but geographically where you live will have an impact.

FWIW, I chose UCH on Euston Road for both my babies and thought it was excellent.

Alanna1 Fri 23-Aug-13 16:02:14

You should also realise if you don't "choose" your closest hospital, if you have to go in by way of emergency, an ambulance takes you to your closest hospital. And you will normally have to go to the hospital for all your appointments rather than eg at your local GP surgery (where many midwives from the local hospital run clinics). I didn't choose my local hospital - but one closer to where I worked, as amongst other reasons it made appointments easier. You can also change your election during a pregnancy usually, I think, eg if you move.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now