This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Waitrose web series: add your tips and questions on the lost art of baking and have the chance to win £100 of Waitrose vouchers

(30 Posts)
moliereroger Sat 18-Jul-09 12:22:00

do you all want my rich chocolate and beetroot cake recipe?

thought not wink

It rocks!

Housemum Fri 17-Jul-09 19:49:07

Forgot to add - if making a sponge I usually put a slightly sharper jam eg blackcurrant if using buttercream as the buttercream is v sweet

Housemum Fri 17-Jul-09 19:48:23

I can't claim it's original but you can't go wrong with bung-it-in-the-mixer sponge cake.

6oz SR flour
6oz soft marg
6oz caster sugar
3 large eggs
1 tsp baking powder

Shove in bowl, beat for about 2 mins with electric mixer until pale coloured.

Put in 2 sandwich tins, bake at 180 degrees C for about 25 mins

OR put in cake cases in a bun tin and bake at 200 degrees C for about 15 mins

Options - dissolve 1 spoon coffee in hot water and add to mix for coffee cake

Filling - basic buttercream twice the amount of sugar to soft marg or softened butter (6oz to 3oz is more than enough usually)

Comes out really light and fluffy and takes hardly any effort! (I use ounces to measure as I can remember it that way - double the ounces of ingredients to the number of eggs eg 3 eggs to 6 ounces, for bigger/smaller quantities use the same ratio)

Cheese, roasted onion and thyme can be added to basic muffin recipes to make lovely savoury cupcakes (eat them warm and they are delish) but work well in fussy toddler's lunchboxes.

GeraldineMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 17-Jul-09 10:21:42

Mumsnet are working with Waitrose to produce a six-episode web TV series that will launch in September and they want your feedback to help shape this episode on cooking for the family and reviving the lost art of baking.

Do you have a secret family recipe that has been handed down through generations? Or a school cake sale/kids' birthday party no-brainer?

Whether you're offering advice or looking for it, please post here and we'll try and take the best tips and questions and build some of them in to the microsite where the web TV series is going to be shown.

Everyone who takes part in this or any of the Waitrose threads will be entered into a draw to win £100 of Waitrose vouchers.

And if you want to star in the web series, you can find out more and volunteer here

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now