Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

The Official Hartley's squeezy jam feedback thread - plus a chance to win another £100 or a spa day/ spa vouchers worth £250 (even if you didn't test the jam)

(101 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Jul-09 23:40:20

The long awaited and much requested feedback thread for the Hartley's squeezy jam testers is here Hopefully you've all had the chance to test your jam by now. All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning £150 is to post your feedback here - the questions are below.

Whether you're a tester or not you could also be in with a chance of winning another £100 if you post your fave jammy recipe on Mumsnet recipes and then post the link/url for your recipe on this thread - so if you're the mumsnetter who makes a mean swiss roll -for example - you'd post it like this swiss roll - ideally with your name on the recipe so we know who to give the prize to grin

Finally if you fancy a spa trip to The Sanctuary in Covent Garden or £250 of spa vouchers all you need to do is check out the Hartley's squeezy jam microsite and answer an easy peasy jammy squeezy question.

And now here are the questions Hartley's would like the testers to answer.. over to you

1. What other jam flavours would your kids and their friends like, and what would they really turn their noses up at?

2. What fun, ingenious uses are there for empty Squeezy bottles?

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes)

4. Is Squeezy easier to use than jars for you and your kids?

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

serenity Sun 02-Aug-09 23:53:01

1. What other jam flavours would your kids and their friends like, and what would they really turn their noses up at? Raspberry, wouldn't like anything orangey

2. What fun, ingenious uses are there for empty Squeezy bottles? DD used it in the bath, does that count?

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes) Don't really have one - use it in butterfly cakes, put jam in before the butter icing (a lot easier with this than trying to scrape it off a teaspoon!)

4. Is Squeezy easier to use than jars for you and your kids? Yes...DCs managed to do their own toast and pancakes without leaving globs of sticky jam for me to discover later in the day.

nellyhel Sun 02-Aug-09 22:59:35

Thanks for jam - dd thinks we are v important in getting to test it grin !

We liked the strawberry flavour - it doesn't seem too sweet and looks the colour of proper jam - thought might seem too processed but it doesn't, just a bit smoother.

Also chocolate flavour suggested here and lemon curd - by dd.

The squeezy bottle is easier in that there is less mess, but at the moment we still refer to the jar we already had open as "real" jam and ds1 prefers this. He normally chooses marmalade anyway tho so his opinion might not count!

I would like to know about recycling however - our house recycles both glass and plastic, so which is better? There is a limit to how many squeezy bottles you can re-use in the bath etc, so it would end up collected for recycling. I would tend to pick a glass jar over the same in a plastic bottle as more enviromentally friendly, but don't know why hmm so I would probably stick to glass jars of jam...

ZebsMummy Sat 01-Aug-09 22:31:06

Hi Thanks for the jam, I've just bought some more, as my two loved it!

Answers to the questions:

1 - I can imagine that they would like Apple, cherry, pear, or banana

wouldn't like pineapple, lemon or melon

2 - squeezy bottle so far in use for bathtime fun, and outside water fun, though may prove useful for craft projects.

3 - Jam tarts, apricot jam squirted nice and thick before layering with thin apple slices for apple pie!

4 - So much easier for toast no more yucky butter knife contaminating the jam!

NorkyButNice Sat 01-Aug-09 15:25:12

1. What other jam flavours would your kids and their friends like, and what would they really turn their noses up at?
We really like the strawberry - all fruits are wolfed down happily except raspberries as DS is not a fan of the seeds.

The empty bottle will probably find its way to the bath to be used as a weapon against me during bath-times

3. Creative recipes
We've enjoyed jam on pancakes, porridge, crumpets (all easier from the squeezy bottle). I've made a Victoria sponge but didn't use the squeezy bottle as it was easier to scoop a large quantity from a jar for that. Jam tarts were made using squeezy jam though!

DS can't manage the squeeze yet (he's 22 months) but when his hands are bigger I think he'll cope!

bealos Sat 01-Aug-09 13:56:13

1. jam flavours:
like - strawberry, raspberry, blackcurrent, plum, damson,
dislike - anything with bits/seeds in, sweet orange

squirters / water pistols in the bath or outside when hot

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam?
jam tarts

yes definitely easier

JuAnn Sat 01-Aug-09 13:47:51

My little ones loved the squeezy jam, they loved the taste and found the bottle easy to use.

nct73 Fri 31-Jul-09 16:39:37

LO (2.5) really enjoyed the squeezy jam experience esp on pancakes. was also useful on cakes. but when given a choice on toast, LO chose aldi chunky jam. We were testing strawberry but would like to try the blackberry on her as doesnt like pips.

dmon Fri 31-Jul-09 15:23:11

we were lucky enough to get a bottle to test and the new squirty formula gets sticky thumbs up! grin

my son hasn't grown out of jam sarnies with a thin spread of marge (yuk) however we love jam with warm rice pudding - yum!!

i don't really bake as such so haven't tried it in cooking but i must say it was nice on pancakes the other night when i needed my monthly sweet fix...

when it comes to flavours, we tend to stick to good old strawberry or apricot. blueberry is nice too but jam with pips in just ruins the experience!

Dibbdobb Fri 31-Jul-09 13:20:11

1. All jam flavours are good jam flavours .... But no sure about strawberry and basil!!

2. Water squirt

4. DH deffinately found it easier and no sticky jam in the fridge, butter etc. Also had jam juice problem after being on holiday but jam doesn't last long enough normally for that to happen often

Thanks for the jam

SparkyMalarky Fri 31-Jul-09 11:22:08

Loving the squeezy jam - DH and DS made fabulous jam tarts for me the other morning and there was a lot less mess than normal thanks to the squeezy bottle!

I'd love raspberry to squirt on my porridge, but apricot would be a disappointment in my house...except for in jam tarts! To attract the boys, maybe you could make some special editions with monster faces etc (around halloween?) Toast and jam is known as blood and guts on toast for the men in my house!

Having just chucked mine in the recycling, I realise it would be great for water squirters in the garden or bath.

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes) Hmmm, wasn't very creative, just used in the tarts, sandwiches, porridge etc.

Much much easier.....

naomi80 Fri 31-Jul-09 11:13:46

My kids would have loved Rassberry, Me i'm a apricot gal.

They would work for storing paint in, I haven't done it but it might work.

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes)Well we didn't get very excitng with our jam but we have pancakes with jam and fresh strawberris rolled up....yummy.

I love the idea, it's good that it doesn't come out to fast that they end up with it all on their toast, and no more butter in my jam

Thanks

Hi have put some feed back on earlier but now having come to the end of the jam have discovered that it is hard to get that last bit out just by squeezing.
Even unscrewing the top and fishing around in the bottle with a spoon is not easy and bits of jam left.
sad

twirlywhirly Fri 31-Jul-09 10:57:51

1. More exotic flavours: Mango,Pinapple,Blueberry.My children dislike Jam with large pieces in or the little bits of seeds,They would turn their noses up at satsumas and lime,and maybe lemon!!! I wouldn't.

2.We have used it for a gift for nanna and filled it with coconut butter and decorated the bottle making it easier for her to apply to her hands,also used as a water squirter,but The next one is for my daughter who thinks it will make it easier for her to water her little seeds on the window seal with when filled with water she can put squirt a little at a time rather than over watering them...her idea.But after it can be recycled.

3. On homemade pancakes it was delicious we spread ove rthe pancake sthen browned the top,Also jam tarts,The best recipe was making a caterpilla cake and using the jam to stick on eyes and to keep the cake together yummy!

4.Hartleys Squeezy jam made my life easier no sticky knifes while placing in a jar,The children could spuirt and spread themselfes even though they did go a bit mad and ended up with lashing of jam on their toast & sandwiches and not forgetting their cereals!especially when they made a well in their porridge.
It sits looking tidier on the breakfast table than a jar.

all done but I am sure I have already replied but maybe the last entry didn't go on the list ....

Hartleys Thu 30-Jul-09 18:00:28

Hi Mums - Hartley's here again. Seen some comments about Squeezy being too hard for some little hands to squeeze. So you can feel 'in the know' it's because this is REAL jam and that means it is very hot when poured into the bottle so we need thick plastic to prevent it from melting. Still appreciate your comments.

twirlywhirly Wed 29-Jul-09 10:56:26

Hartley's squeezy Jam is amazing,full of flavour and so much easier with less mess for the children.
I have now converted to using this jam rather than the jars.
We would love to see more exotic flavours in Hartley's sqeezy jam like Mango,sharon fruit,star fruit,coconut as my children loves these flavours but unable to buy in jam.
After using the jam we cleaned the bottle then the children had fun using them in the bath & pool squirting each other.
My daughter also decorated one of the bottles and filled it with coconut butter for her nans birthday present as her nan has arthritis so it made the present extremly gratefully recieved as it made it easie rfor nanny to use.
This is the best updated product of jam i have seen in a long time,Easier more fun to squirt on bread than spreading and getting jam along the knife so creating less mess.Our jam now never leaves the food table.

tegan Tue 28-Jul-09 08:15:19

we have been buying the squirty jam for a while and the kids love it, easy to squirt, easy to spread so i don't have to do it for them

Lau09 Tue 28-Jul-09 08:06:44

I think my daughter would love any fruity flavour of jam, mainly becuase it is in a squeezy bottle!!

We washed it out and my daughter played with it in the bath, which she loved squirting everywhere!!

We made Jam tarts and Victoria sponge cake!!

It is much easier and my daughter loved being so independent. Thank you for letting us test this.

dzombie Mon 27-Jul-09 19:47:39

Hi me again the link in the message doesn't work hope this one does!
http://www.mumsnet.com/Recipes?call=RecipePage&pid=3437

So sorry I really don't know what I'm doing! blush

dzombie Mon 27-Jul-09 19:40:30

I forgot to say about the strawberry jam, silly me. It was lovely on the day we received it everyone had tried it on toast, in a sandwich and on semolina, delicious. Went down really well with everyone. Would like to try the sweet orange as that sounds lovely. smile

dzombie Mon 27-Jul-09 19:28:39

Very pleased to receive the jam presented in a box with lovely colourful tissue paper ( which my daughter's nursery could use to make lovely things out of)

I would like to try blackcurrant, black cherry or raspberry.

Well the only use I have found for the empty bottle is a bath toy.

Most creative recipe is Raspberry buns www.mumsnet.com/recipes

The squeezy bottle is easier for the children to make their own sandwich, and less messy but is a bit hard to get the last of it out. smile

Emi25 Sat 25-Jul-09 15:24:37

Thank you for the jam, we all loved it. I didn't have jam that often before because of the buttery knife thing but this is great. We have all had loads of it! We also liked the smoothness of the jam. The only negative is that there is stiil a third of the jam left in the bottle and it doesn't squeeze out any more. I had to take the lid off and put a knife in, which kind of defeats the object.

Anyway, strawberry is definitely our favourite flavour but we would also like to try a plum flavour.

It was great testing this product - thanks!

Emi25 Sat 25-Jul-09 15:24:15

Thank you for the jam, we all loved it. I didn't have jam that often before because of the buttery knife thing but this is great. We have all had loads of it! We also liked the smoothness of the jam. The only negative is that there is stiil a third of the jam left in the bottle and it doesn't squeeze out any more. I had to take the lid off and put a knife in, which kind of defeats the object.

Anyway, strawberry is definitely our favourite flavour but we would also like to try a plum flavour.

Emi25 Sat 25-Jul-09 15:23:23

Wizzie Fri 24-Jul-09 22:15:51

Was a nice surprise to get the jam to test. Have to say the kids aren't keen, they think it's a bit watery. Even though the bottle stands so that the cap is faced down, now we have used about half of it I find that airlocks stop the jam squeezing out properly so the last few times I have had to unscrew the lid to get the jam out with a knife. Kind of pointless really and is just like using a normal jar ! Now I know that I wouldn't buy it in preference to a jar as it isn't as thick, probably because it has to be squeezed out. Interesting idea and agree is less messy, but practically doesn't quite live up to the task ! Thanks for the chance to test it though wink

happycampers1 Thu 23-Jul-09 16:31:37

Yey, I have just recieved my squeezy Jam abit late but I have it now! Just wondering what to make with it - Jam roly poly may be a bit beyond my baking skills, so will proberly try good old jam tarts.

My Eldest boy, likes Maralade at the moment, and is having it on everything - he even eats the bits! We even had to take maralade fingers in to school. Although he has just expressed a slight interest in the thought of apple jam?

Water shooters but you need the sunny weather to make to most of outside drying!!

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes)

It would have to be jam tarts or a victoria sponge

For the children it is easier but the last few bits are really hard to get out of the bottle :-s

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now