This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

The Official Hartley's squeezy jam feedback thread - plus a chance to win another £100 or a spa day/ spa vouchers worth £250 (even if you didn't test the jam)

(101 Posts)
carriemumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 03-Jul-09 23:40:20

The long awaited and much requested feedback thread for the Hartley's squeezy jam testers is here Hopefully you've all had the chance to test your jam by now. All you have to do to be in with a chance of winning £150 is to post your feedback here - the questions are below.

Whether you're a tester or not you could also be in with a chance of winning another £100 if you post your fave jammy recipe on Mumsnet recipes and then post the link/url for your recipe on this thread - so if you're the mumsnetter who makes a mean swiss roll -for example - you'd post it like this swiss roll - ideally with your name on the recipe so we know who to give the prize to grin

Finally if you fancy a spa trip to The Sanctuary in Covent Garden or £250 of spa vouchers all you need to do is check out the Hartley's squeezy jam microsite and answer an easy peasy jammy squeezy question.

And now here are the questions Hartley's would like the testers to answer.. over to you

1. What other jam flavours would your kids and their friends like, and what would they really turn their noses up at?

2. What fun, ingenious uses are there for empty Squeezy bottles?

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes)

4. Is Squeezy easier to use than jars for you and your kids?

Thanks and good luck
MNHQ

MayorNaze Sun 05-Jul-09 09:20:43

1. What other jam flavours would your kids and their friends like, and what would they really turn their noses up at? they would like something green. but like apple, not like gooseberry. also perhaps something blue, although they couldn't think of any blue fruits. i did sugggest blueberry...

2. What fun, ingenious uses are there for empty Squeezy bottles? it is not empty yet but i will let you know. ds def has his eye on it for some sort of water fight...

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes) again... i will let you know but i have a feeling it will be most fab for putting jam in doughnuts...

4. Is Squeezy easier to use than jars for you and your kids? yes. plus you can carry it around with you in your handbag should you take a drying brioche to work with you for breakfast and need something to tart it up a bit...hypothetically of course...wink

MayorNaze Sun 05-Jul-09 09:21:15

thank you for the free jam by the way [creep emoticon]

1. What other jam flavours would your kids and their friends like, and what would they really turn their noses up at?

They would like (and this is what they suggested, I take no responsibility) - toffee, jam hmm chocolate, mango, tropical, dragon fruit hmm again, grape (ds1). ds2 would turn his nose up at grape and another that is not fruit related and I will not type. I like anything tangy so blackcurrant that tastes like blackcurrant. Damson also v good.

Predicatably a water fight, or a drink bottle, a papiermache mould so you could make a pot to keep jam in [getting worried about my children emoticon] or for keeping milk in.

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes)

WIll have a think,

Yes, it is much easier to just squirt the jam into your mouth than it is to rummage around finding spoons. They have really enjoyed squirting it all over their toast and pancakes, but we have managed to use half the bottle in one sitting and I later had to scrape them off the ceiling as they dont do well with lots of sugar. Think I may keep it for picnics and the like but for that reason alone it s worth buying.

The kids have absolutely loved it, they were so excited when we opened the box! So thank you very much, it has been the theme of the weekend.

MayorNaze Sun 05-Jul-09 09:52:48

another idea i had (yes me, not kids, sorry), is if you are looking for more unusual flavours that wil appeal to kids - focus on the colour of the jam and put what fruit it is made of in smaller writing - i know i said my kids would not like gooseberry for example, but tbh if you marketed it as GREEN jam, then they would prob not be that bothered about what is in it IYSWIM?

god i need more coffee...

cheryl59 Sun 05-Jul-09 10:13:24

They'd turn their noses up at marmalade but love all other jam. My 8-year-old suggested traffic light jam, with layers of different colours that alternate as you work your way down the pot !

I was thinking water fights but I like the idea of using it for other gooey foodstuffs like honey, golden syrup, even nutella in hot weather

using apricot jam on a pork roast to make a gooey glaze

Yes and less washing up - but you have to remind the kids to shake it first or the first dribble comes out very runny and makes a mess/soggy bread !

Haylstones Sun 05-Jul-09 11:50:54

They'd like blackberry, apricot- willing to try anything really

Water fights, bath toy

Haven't really got one but do add jam to homemade rice pudding- does this count?!

Easier for the kids I guess but using a jar isn't really difficult!

Haylstones Sun 05-Jul-09 11:58:52
Tamarto Mon 06-Jul-09 11:17:18

Apricot. They'd turn their noses up at bogey flavoured jam, most others they like.

recycling them grin Water fights.

Jam on toast grin

Less messy when the wee ones are doing it themselves otherwise i don't really find jars a bother.

Libra Mon 06-Jul-09 13:06:26

Apricot. We like Apricot a lot in this house.

Making dinosaurs

We only ever use jam on toast!

Easier to use, yes, but I am missing the lumps!

ShrinkingViolet Mon 06-Jul-09 13:14:11

1. DD3 would really like apricot as "if it's squeezy apricot I won't get confused with marmalade" hmm.

2. I'd send the bottles in to Brownies and let Brown Owl come up with something creative blush. Otherwise they'd be good for water fights.

3. Not a very creative puddign-ey cook, so jam tarts, jam on rice pudding, swirly topings on things

4. Squeezy is easier for DD3, makes no difference to the rest of is. Does mean that there's no more jam in the butter though, which is a bonus.

BonzoDoodah Mon 06-Jul-09 13:37:53

1. Blackcurrant and Apple sounds delicious but we had the strawberry. Blackcurrant or Damson would be DIVINE!
The orange sounds disgusting - like marmalade [pukes] - too bitter for us softies.

2. Empty Squeezy bottles? Water pistols? For storing paint or glue in (decanted from big bulk-buy pots) with jam labels removed of course. (We weren't feeling very inspired today)

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? erm .... jam roly poly is about all we can come up with - and swirling it on ready-brek or porridge.

4. Is Squeezy easier to use than jars for you and your kids? Yes - easier to use for the kids and quicker for us - and as Shrinking violet says - no breadcrumbs in it!
(always good with kids) Only trouble is ... we actually LIKE the lumps. The lumps of strawberry / blackberry / blackcurrant are the best bits and the reason we dig deep into the pot. Although the taste was nice - it wasn't the same as having lumpy jam.
My neice would like this though as no lumps and seeds = good. People with dentures wold probably appreciate no seeds too.

They (and me) wouldn't like the apricot, but love Strawberry and raspberry, they also would like bluberry I reckon.

We've been using our empty bottle in the paddling pool as a water squirter!

We use jam for Jam on toast and jam sandwiches for DS2(our bottle only lasted 3 days!!!! grin But I do make some lovely Jam tarts, will post on recipes later, but it's basically Shortcrust pastry with a dollop of jam, and a lid if you fancy one, (or not if you don't) put in oven at gas mark 5, and hey presto! yummy

Very much easier, no sticky fingers when digging out the last bits, DS1 (2.9) helped to squirt and spread, and even DH made me some breakfast one morning to try it!!!!

Thanks very much for letting us try it! grin

giantkatestacks Mon 06-Jul-09 14:02:08

right then...

My kids would like a purple one so maybe grape - the most hated thing would be lemon or marmalade.

We use lots of squeezy bottles in the bath to play with so probably that if we could get all the jam out - we also refill them with blackberry jam of our own making - am not sure if ours will be too think to squeeze though.

er I dont have any of these - yesterday morning we made faces on pancakes though and that was great.

Its easier to use for some things but I wouldnt buy it all the time because it isnt organic blush

annh Mon 06-Jul-09 14:03:31

DC liked the Strawberry which we got, would also like Blackcurrant, Blackberry, Apricot, Raspberry. Don't think they would like orange (that sounds like marmalade gone wrong!), kiwi or pineapple. They might like lemon or lime in combination with something else.

The empty squeezy bottle makes a good water pistol and an even better bath toy!

Sorry, no creative recipes!

The squeezy jam is definitely easier for the kids as they mostly squeeze it straight onto toast and it doesn't even need a knife to spread as the warmth of the toast does the job.

ZIPMAN Mon 06-Jul-09 14:51:50

1.My kids would like Grape as per the american flavour which they like. Lemon and Lime would also be good. Personally as an adult I would like Blueberry. With the not liking each child is different, two want pineapple but the other hates it. I think anything too bitter would turn them off.
2.The bottles are good as water pistols and squeezy bath toys. My son also found that if he blocked the end and squeezed hard he could shoot things from it.
3. Nothing creative, but the strawberry that we got made a lovely jam layer in a victoria sandwich. It was easy to get a smooth even spread. However on toast you can put on a lovely smiley face, a blob for the eyes and nose and a long squeeze for the smile!!
4. Squeezy is easy for the kids, even my four year old could get it out and made less mess than with a conventional jar.

Overall I like the concept and my son asked me to buy some more as we finished the bottle quite quickly. That is a good recommendation for me. I have since purchased more Strawberry for the kids and have got the orange to try as I love orange marmalade and lemon curd so why not orange jam.

1. What other jam flavours would your kids and their friends like, and what would they really turn their noses up at? Mine want Cherry, Grape and Blueberry, ds2 also considered Banana?

2. What fun, ingenious uses are there for empty Squeezy bottles? All that has been said really

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam? (this is where you post on Mumsnet recipes) Don't have a spcific recipe but I put a nozzle on it for filling donuts

Approximatly 300% easier do much better and it means there is not butter and crumbs in the pot or sticky messes other than the children to clear up

NannaBess Mon 06-Jul-09 16:31:46

My kids love jam full stop, so apricot, raspberry, mixed berries, banana was suggested as was oranges and lemons lol.

We're turning ours into a PVA glue dispenser as using spreaders is a nightmare. Other suggestions from my two are bath toy, water pistol, make a robot with it, buy a huge tub of jam and refill it.

Recipe for Jammy Chocolate Bars

oh yes! for Easter they had chocolate with plates, mugs and plastic knives so they spread their own toast now. This was a lot less messy than the usual jar. They are 3 and 5 and can now do it themselves. Can you do margarine in the same dispenser please and we'll be set lol.

Overall, we love this and will be buying again! Thanks for the chance to test it.

loler Mon 06-Jul-09 17:02:30

I asked and was told chocolate (hidden fruit/veg welcome by me!), apples and grapes, blackberry and tomatoes (not sure I would buy that one!), rhubarb (from dh)

use it as a water pistol, doll's shower, paint sprayer (not sure about doing this at home - good for nursery). Fill with slime to kill aliens (?)

yes - dd (6) likes to have a go at spreading herself and this does make it easier. For me it's a gimmick - as a marketing executive's dream it has sold it to me!

Will be back later to link to my yummy chocolate orange bread and butter pudding - it's currently refusing to save, and I should be making the dc tea and not swearing at the computer!

loler Mon 06-Jul-09 17:12:49

OK - have thrown jam topped porridge at dc for tea (blame hartley's for their lazy tea!) and have managed to save recipe so here it is....drum roll....

Chocolate orange bread & butter pudding

theicepopqueen Mon 06-Jul-09 19:42:40

apricot would be good or raspberry or blackcurrant

with my two who knows what they will come up with but when they have finished squirting anything that moves they will probably use them in "the shop" and finally they will go to school with the rest of our recycling

or they are great no more sticky fingers and that's just me how I hate the stuff - give me marmite any day!blush

Pelepeg Mon 06-Jul-09 23:48:40

Blackcurrant for me. DD loves strawberry anyway. DSS loves anything without pips. And DH would like chocolate flavour.

Squirty pistol (bath or outside). Hair rinser for DD.

Yep - saves DH putting a dirty knife into the jar. Nope - kids put FAR too much on their toast.

nonethewiser Tue 07-Jul-09 12:07:07

We'd like apricot, blackcurrant, raspberry, anything really, so long as it hasn't got bits in it. Smooth apricot would be great for glazing fruit flans (pretentious? moi?).

Ingenious use for full bottle: refilling custard doughnuts, bought in error. Scoop out custard with v. small spoon, refill with squeezy jam. Perfect! Nobody noticed / complained!

3 What's your most creative recipe using jam?
See point 2.

Yes - children can concentrate on spreading skills rather than spooning out of jar / flicking full spoon at siblings / flouncing off in a huff when spotted by parent skills.

Nicola27 Tue 07-Jul-09 14:08:32

(1) My kids love all jams, they are quite willing to give any a try. My daughter's only preference is that her marmalade should be thin cut and not thick cut and my son prefers the smoother jams.

(2) I'll have to use two bottles of jam first and then I've got one each for the kids, otherwise they'll fall out. They will probably use them for water fights, or come or with some ingenious use for them that only kids could think of.

(3) My creative recipe is -
Look at Jam & Gooseberry Crumble
(4) I think the best thing about the jam is it's ease of use, and it's good as it doesn't get everywhere and no butter or bits of toast can get into the jam.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now