This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Feedback session about new Dyson products March 10th 1pm

(256 Posts)
JJMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 09-Mar-08 19:12:35

Hi all

This is the meeting point for the feedback session with Dyson's engineers on Monday March 10th at 1pm. We hope everyone who has been testing a new Dyson will join us. If for any reason you can't make it please feel free to post your feedback in advance (and send the absence note from your mum to MNHQ ) but we're really hoping for an interactive discussion session, so we hope as many as possible of you will be there on the day.

Thanks!

2sugars Mon 10-Mar-08 10:01:20

Has someone been given VACUUM CLEANERS to test drive? Only a month or so ago I wrote on this very forum that I would like to be a test driver for them.

I AM VERY <<inserts CROSS face>>>>>>

FAQ Mon 10-Mar-08 10:02:09

ooo thanks for that LL - hadn't seen that list before so I'd better get thinking grin

pouchofdouglas Mon 10-Mar-08 10:04:01

Message withdrawn

littlelapin Mon 10-Mar-08 10:07:26
ScoobyDYSONDoo Mon 10-Mar-08 10:08:35

Thanks for that LL thats just what i wanted, may start muddling through now before my interview at 11am.

You should not have posted your points yet, others are not nicking your points i think many may have some of the same points as the obvious is missing to be honest. smile

anyways see you all at 1om, have told dp i have a date with Ben & Tom he said good on you, make the most of it because it's the only date your being going on ha ha ha grin

2sugars Mon 10-Mar-08 10:10:05

Careful it doesn't suck up your pouch. Nobody would want it back then grin

littlelapin Mon 10-Mar-08 10:10:20

what's the obvious, Scoobs?

Oh I only said that about nicking my points in reference to something I said on the other thread (but Camilla says I don't get any commission from generating good ideas anyway hmm) - I wasn't serious!

Twinkie1 Mon 10-Mar-08 10:11:37

I have the big upright dyson and all in all found it to be fab - comments below:

Out of Box Experience was a dodlle - very very easy and simple to put together!

Didnlt really use instruction manual as had been told how to use it by Camilla and she did such a good job that I was a pro bty the time I started hoovering!

Bin emptying - I haven't done any bin emptying - my 3.5 year old insists it is his job - he has no issues with the bin emptying he said this morning - after some prompting!

Attachments are good - did sofa and curtains and they look brand new.

Filters - is DSs job too as Camilla made him head folter finder - he is 3.5 and can do is so if you are having a problem will send him round - he charges 2 fruit shoots and a bag of Quavers an hour!

Found that I could manouver it fine, the ball made it much easier but it was so heavy - I am by no means weedy but it must weigh more than the original dyson!

Is much better than my Henry who has been relegated to the garage for the use of the builders! I hoovered with Henry first and then with my new dyson and filled up the chamber twice - Henry obviously hadn;t been doing his job properly!

Was great for stairs too with the little attachments but fond that I could not hoover to the top of the stairs without changing where it was plugged in - huge problem in a house like mine is the length of the lead!

The new dyson is supposed to live in the back kitchen in the washing machine cupboard but I am soooo proud of her that I am keeping her out on show so all my mates can marvel at her sleek design!

Best thing is just how much crap she picks up - terribly important given that this is a hoovers main function! Carpets looked a whole lots better as did the tiled and wooden floors and DH and DS were sneezing much less after using it just once!

I would make it have a retractable lead - very untidy, and a retractable lead would open up a whole new dimension of play for DS, I would make the lead much longer and I would make it lighter as it is just too heavy!

A longer lead would be the most important addition I would make if I were a Dyson Engineer!

FAQ Mon 10-Mar-08 10:12:14

I have the DC23

1. How did you find the out-of-the box experience and assembling the machine? -

Good

2. Did you use the instruction manual?

Yes - and no - I tried to use it but am hopeless with picture instructions - prefer written ones alongside...

3. How did you find the following:
a. Bin emptying

- Good - although as already mentioned it does tend to billow out.

b. Attachments: did you use them?

They were useful, used most of them apart from the hardfloor one that came separate

c. Filters: locate them OK?

Yes - but again struggled a bit with picture instructions blush

d. Manoeuvrability: get around furniture?

Excellent - no problems

e. Cleaning stairs?

FANTASTIC - I love the way it "sits" on the steps

4. How does it compare to your current machine?

Where shall I start??? It's easier to store, and as already mentioned it didn't feel like a big "deal" getting the vacuum out, the suction is great, no bags (never had a bagless before), attachments easy to get. Hose a bit stiff.....could do with being a bit more flexible.

5. Where did you store your machine? If possible: can you send a picture of your Dyson in its new home?

In the cupboard under the stairs (where my old one was kept).

6. Best thing?

Just one??? How small it is when you put it away and the suction - amazing! (ok that's two blush)

7. Anything that you would change?

Yes - I found the main attachment (the one with the whizzy bristles) and the extendable bit that you put the attachments on were easily knocked out of their "slots" when I carried it/put it away....got all the way upstairs with it the other day and realised I'd "lost" the main attachment from the back . Anyway of making them fit in a little more securely???

Oh and also the lead could do with an extra metre or so added on.

8. One addition you would make if you were a Dyson engineer?

ermm not sure blush

ScoobyDYSONDoo Mon 10-Mar-08 10:31:15

Hey Lapin i think you should be entitled to commision you have some fab idea's take legal action wink

The obvious would be the lead needing to be retractable because it's a pain in the arse when your lazy like me lol

littlerach Mon 10-Mar-08 11:17:22

1. How did you find the out-of-the box experience and assembling the machine? Didn't read the instructions, as was quite self explanatory.

2. Did you use the instruction manual? As above!!

a. Bin emptying - fine, much easier than my old one.
b. Attachments: did you use them? - not as yet!
c. Filters: locate them OK? - yes, fine.
d. Manoeuvrability: get around furniture? like the swivelly head thing.
e. Cleaning stairs? Much better than old one. Hasn't fallen down yet, or knoked me over.

4. How does it compare to your current machine? Lighter, better head thing, as it really doe spick up hair.

5. Where did you store your machine? If possible: can you send a picture of your Dyson in its new home? Sits by the frideg in the utility room.

6. Best thing? Animal head thing.

7. Anything that you would change? Needs a longer lead really.

8. One addition you would make if you were a Dyson engineer? Not sure. Will have another think!!

littlerach Mon 10-Mar-08 11:18:45

OOps, I have the DC22 animla.

I used ot have the old cylinder, DC02, I think.

I started with the small upright, but after one day realised that I wouldn't be happy with it, the lead wasn't long enough and the hose didn't reach up my stairs and Camilla very kindly swop it with a DC25 for me. Thanks C.

1. How did you find the out-of-the box experience and assembling the machine? I found there was too much packaging, maybe you could find a way to reduce this.

2. Did you use the instruction manual? No, easy to put together

a. Bin emptying easy
b. Attachments: did you use them? Yes, very good
c. Filters: locate them OK? I know where they are.
d. Manoeuvrability: get around furniture? I have found it hard to move around the se, but I think thats because I am used to the DC07 and am struggling with the ball TBH
e. Cleaning stairs? Great on the stairs

4. How does it compare to your current machine? I have a DC07 and its lighter than the older models, and looks great

5. Where did you store your machine? If possible: can you send a picture of your Dyson in its new home? I store it in the kitchen

6. Best thing? The suction is great

7. Anything that you would change? We have to lift it onto the rug, because the head is so low, you end up jut hitting the rug, maybe move the head up slighty

8. One addition you would make if you were a Dyson engineer? retractable lead please

NeverSayNevertoaDyson Mon 10-Mar-08 11:51:53

I have the DC23

1. How did you find the out-of-the box experience and assembling the machine? Very good

2. Did you use the instruction manual? Didn't have to, very easy to put together

a. Bin emptying Really easy and mess free
b. Attachments: did you use them? Yes all of them
c. Filters: locate them OK? Yes no problem
d. Manoeuvrability: get around furniture? Great very easy to get around furniture
e. Cleaning stairs? No problems, sits well on stairs

4. How does it compare to your current machine? Much better, cant believe how much more it sucked up

5. Where did you store your machine? If possible: can you send a picture of your Dyson in its new home? Stored in understairs cupboard

6. Best thing? Suction and ease of getting up and down 2 flights of stairs

7. Anything that you would change? I found the plastic wand,when in the done up positon quite heavy for example when using the little brushes on the nooks and crannies around fireplace etc.

8. One addition you would make if you were a Dyson engineer? Maybe a retaining clip when the hose is wound round machine for storage, its a good idea but comes loose quite easily

ScoobyDYSONDoo Mon 10-Mar-08 12:11:21

Dyson DC25

My Dyson is called Doug!

He turned up at my house & has now become a part of our mad family, he loves his new storage room (under the stairs) & fits in well, in fact he fits in all spaces well & gets there very easily!

1. How did you find the out-of-the box experience and assembling the machine?
I did struggle a tad to get him out the box, BUT this is not a bad thing, it was only because it was all packed in nice & tightly but this needs to be done so the Dyson does not get damaged.

2. Did you use the instruction manual?
I did take a look at it, but to be honest it was all pretty straight forward & i could have done it all without, although instructions are a good idea but i am inpatient & just like to get things done (typical women) smile

a. Bin emptying
Bin emptying was fine no hasstle, just simply clicked the container off, opened the lid & tipped it into my bin, no mess, no problems whatsoever.

b. Attachments: did you use them?
Have used the attachments once, they come in handy, nothing to change about them they are fine.

c. Filters: locate them OK?
Can't say i have ebven thought to look for them yet!

d. Manoeuvrability: get around furniture?
It does take oh all of about 10 minutes to get used to moving it around, but once you get hang of the movement of the ball there is no going back, it is harder to manoeuver in smaller spaces because the ball only turns so far each way but not annoying enough to need to change, it is not to wide though & i can even fit it between my dining room chairs, i used to have to move them all to get under the table, it also reaches alot further under my sofas & units than my old Vacuum, in other words it gets in all the little nooks & crannies!

e. Cleaning stairs?
Cleaning the stairs was pretty easy, it is light so easy to carry to sit on a step whilst using the attachement, the hose bit could be more loser found it a bit tight, more flexability needed here i think, otherwise fab for doing the stairs!

4. How does it compare to your current machine?
It is 100% better, we have the Bissel one which we thought was good when we brought it, once you have a Dyson there is just no looking back, it is lightweight, easyier to store, easier to clean out, & fits in smaller spaces, much better design too.

5. Where did you store your machine? If possible: can you send a picture of your Dyson in its new home?
Doug is stored under the stairs in our cuboard, fits in lovely & behaves himself in there, in fact he loves it in there, I have couple of pics, 1 to show where Doug lives, the other to show how much dust it collected on it's first use AFTER i had used my own original Vacuum first! very impressive!!

6. Best thing?
The weight of it, the suction is like no other wink he fits in all spaces & after you have vacuumed it makes a huge difference to your house, also so easy to use & when i want to do the Vacumming i don't dread lifting a big heavy machine around, in fact i love gettting Doug out he comes out at least twice a day! grin

7. Anything that you would change?
I would not change alot but if i had to be picky & of course lazy, i would say i could do with about 2 metres more lead & the lead would be retractable to make this machine the perfect Vacuum. While i am there i would change the price too !! grin i would never be able to spend £280 on a vacuum as much as i would love to, i know it's worth it but i just would not have the funds BUT if you have the money splash your cash on this machine you will not regret it. smile

8. One addition you would make if you were a Dyson engineer?
Retractable lead, longer lead by about 2 metres as it's a pain having to keep moving to another plug socket & maybe a bit more movement in the ball if possible.
You done well boys, keep up the good work, i am sure you are making many a housewife/women happy! he he wink

littlelapin Mon 10-Mar-08 12:14:27
TheHonEnid Mon 10-Mar-08 12:18:05

dysons are very ugly and a bit shit now they are made abroad

IMHO

wannaBe Mon 10-Mar-08 12:53:35

am early wink

ScoobyDYSONDoo Mon 10-Mar-08 12:54:48

Am early too for once in my life grin very happy is well as just had job interview & got the job grin

ImNotInterestedInYourKids Mon 10-Mar-08 12:56:06

I DO AGREE that the metallic clam shel lid looks like a twee toilet seat top/
the colours are terrible
stick to your mondrian brights imo

(its me cod)

wannaBe Mon 10-Mar-08 12:57:26

have no idea what colour mine is. grin but I also have the little baby one you have cod (dc24 is it?

FAQ Mon 10-Mar-08 12:57:29

am early too.........just making my lunch and chasing DS3 round in his walking picking up the bits of lunch he's throwing on the floor.......shall get the Dyson out later to clean up the crumbs grin

ImNotInterestedInYourKids Mon 10-Mar-08 12:57:47

i care not for numbers.

littlelapin Mon 10-Mar-08 12:58:58

<waits>

I do have a complaint - Dorothy does not get Sudocreme out of carpet!

<sulks that none of you gits have commented on my photo of Dorothy>

ScoobyDYSONDoo Mon 10-Mar-08 12:59:17

Cod whats with the name? you could have used CodsNotInterestedInYourKids !

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now