This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

See what MNers think of Kenwood’s new kCook and be in with a chance to win your own! NOW CLOSED

(369 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 22-Jun-15 10:32:57

This is the feedback thread for the 20 Mumsnetters who tried the Kenwood kCook.

Here’s what the people at Kenwood say, “Whipping up a one-pot wonder for your family has never been easier thanks to the new kCook cooking food processor from Kenwood which not only chops and stirs, but also cooks delicious dishes at the touch of a few buttons. All this, plus a fantastic specially-developed recipe app to provide a little inspiration at every meal time, makes the kCook the new must-have kitchen essential.

The three bowl tools coupled with the app make the laborious tasks of thinking up a meal, preparing ingredients and endlessly stirring over a hot stove a thing of the past. Simply follow one of over 200 recipes available on the app, or adapt them to your taste using the kCook’s manual modes which allow the speeds and temperatures to be changed.”

Testers, we’d like you to answer the below questions:

Q1. How would you describe the kCook to friends or family who had never heard of it before? What was your overall impression of it?

Q2. How easy, or not, did you find to use the kCook? What time saving tips did you find when using the kCook?

Q3. What family meals did you create with the kCook? Did they go down well with your family? We’d love it if you could post some pictures of your dishes on this thread.

Q4. Did you use the Kenwood recipe app? If so, what did you think of it? Did you discover new recipes you hadn’t tried before?

Q5. If it came up in conversation, do you think you’d recommend the kCook to friends and family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Non-testers, what’s your favourite dish to make in a food processor? Everyone who adds their thoughts to this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win their own kCook.

Thanks
MNHQ

Sarahb8990 Mon 22-Jun-15 10:50:48

NON TESTER
My favourite thing to make in a food processor is broccoli and Stilton soup. It's a big favourite for when people come round :-)

InAndOfMyself Mon 22-Jun-15 10:53:30

Non-tester and can I say I was gutted not to be chosen for the test!

I make my spaghetti sauce in the food processor as it is much easier to hide all those veg they say they won't eat!

grannycake Mon 22-Jun-15 10:55:04

My food processor is invaluable for making pastry but the best thing I use it for is fresh pesto

TrollTheRespawnJeremy Mon 22-Jun-15 10:55:24

My favourite thing to make in a food processor is gazpacho during the summer and a hearty mushroom soup during the winter

Fizzyplonk Mon 22-Jun-15 10:55:40

Non tester

Tomato and red pepper soup
Hummus

FuckYouChrisAndThatHorse Mon 22-Jun-15 10:58:39

Non-tester

A red sauce for any kind of pasta dish, made of any type of veg I have that needs using up (and of course tomatoes). It's a great way to sneak in vast quantities of veg without the dcs knowing smile

asuwere Mon 22-Jun-15 11:15:55

my fav dish (not a meal but is a dish!) to make in a processor is instant berry ice cream - greek yoghurt, frozen berries, bit of honey or icing sugar and in 30 secs, lovely ice cream at the end of a meal smile

LadyDeadpool Mon 22-Jun-15 11:32:30

Non-tester

Red pepper sauce and marinara sauce or even chopping all the wrinkly veg up nice and small to add into bolognese.

VolumniaDedlock Mon 22-Jun-15 11:38:06

I was lucky enough to be picked as a tester.

Q1. How would you describe the kCook to friends or family who had never heard of it before? What was your overall impression of it?

It's a bit like a slow cooker I think (not having had a slow cooker). You plug it in, it heats up quickly and cooks. the difference with the kcook is that you can use it as a processor to chop your ingredients, and then cook in the one bowl.

Overall impression - it's neat, not at all clunky. Would be easy to fit in most kitchens. I like the look a lot. It would probably work really well for someone used to a slow cooker (I am not).

Q2. How easy, or not, did you find to use the kCook? What time saving tips did you find when using the kCook?

I found it easy to get started. There aren't too many buttons or hundreds of programmes to get used to, so it's quick to learn how to use it. The chopper/processor is excellent, and I was surprised at how quickly it heated up.

Q3. What family meals did you create with the kCook? Did they go down well with your family? We’d love it if you could post some pictures of your dishes on this thread.

SO far, I've steamed mangetout and asparagus in it. took a bit longer then usual but did the trick. I've also made some lentil and bacon soup. TBH this was less successful - hard to get the liquid quantities right, and the cooker steams the veg slightly instead of sauteeing it, which affected the taste.

I've yet to try the kcook specific recipes yet, so will be back to update further, with pics.

Q4. Did you use the Kenwood recipe app? If so, what did you think of it? Did you discover new recipes you hadn’t tried before?

Not yet - that's my plan for the coming weekend.

Q5. If it came up in conversation, do you think you’d recommend the kCook to friends and family? If so, why? If not, why not?

I'm going to withhold judgement until I've tried the app recipes properly.

VolumniaDedlock Mon 22-Jun-15 11:39:01

one thing i forgot - I like the stir settings. I didn't worry at all that things would stick and burn.

mamato3luvleys Mon 22-Jun-15 11:46:24

non tester I've never owned or used a food processor but am forever using my slo cooker I make beef casseroles and at the min there's a chicken casserole in ready for tea tonight after the school run another favourite of ours is sweet gammon we used sasparella Pop it was sweet and juicy!

ishouldcocoa Mon 22-Jun-15 11:52:08

TESTER

I'm planning on doing a risotto for lunch today, so stand by for comments and maybe a picture (If I can work out how to upload it).

PeaceOfWildThings Mon 22-Jun-15 12:01:13

non tester...

I like to make dairy free soups and non dairy 'milks'.

I've recently bought a soup maker and a separate 'soymilk maker' and I'm finding them to both be good in their own way. I'm considering giving away my rice cooker and slow cooker to make cupboard space for the new equipment!

I recently made a mushroom soup my new soup maker. Started by sautéing the onion and mushroom and then added more mushroom, a sliced carrot, kale and a sweet potato. Topped it up with stock and switched to smooth soup setting and left it. So easy and only one thing to wash up (just needed a rinse under the tap and a quick wipe.)

sharond101 Mon 22-Jun-15 12:48:37

soup would be my choice. all the chopping takes time and would be useful for lots of meals.

amarante Mon 22-Jun-15 13:17:36

HI use it mostly days. - for soups, pasta sauces, hummous, meze, and many other things - could not live without it.

macaroonmayhem Mon 22-Jun-15 13:17:42

Tester here. Been using it over the weekend with mixed results. Here are my "first impressions" answers and I intend to come back and answer again after I've used it some more.

I'd say it's a one pot chopper/self-stirring saucepan. That's my best description at the moment. I like the size of it, it's very neat and fits easily into my cupboard. It is everything you would expect from a Kenwood appliance, sturdy and well-designed. Although, on the design front I'd have preferred a retractable power lead or a cable tidy on it - there's no sensible place to store the cord and that bugs me!

First off, I don't find it time saving in the conventional sense because everything I've cooked so far seems to take way longer than if I did it the old fashioned way. Macaroni cheese for example takes 45 mins, when I can do it on the stove in about 20. But there is time saving element because you can just leave it to get on with things and not be constantly stirring/checking. And I like the idea that once you have all your ingredients ready, you just chuck them in as and when the machine beeps at you during the process.

It's quite easy to use once you start to get a feel for the different stages involved in the cooking processes when using the machine. Plus, you only have one pot to wash at the end, which is great!! DH thinks it's noisy, I've not noticed that but then I'm used to the noise of the gas + extractor fan when I'm cooking normally, and it's quieter than that.

So far I have made spag bol and chilli and although they were both a bit wet (there's virtually no evaporation due to the lid being on throughout so I'm going to have to adjust the liquid content in my recipes) the consistency of both was lovely due to the constant stirring motion.

I've had a look through the app and I made macaroni cheese using a recipe which was delicious. There are a few recipes I fancy trying and will do so over the next couple of weeks.

At the moment no, I probably wouldn't recommend it on the basis of its price. It's useful but it's not £330-worth of useful. Sorry.

NoisyOyster Mon 22-Jun-15 13:25:48

Non tester

My best quick and easy to go to use for the processor is for making breadcrumbs. Either by blitzing up bread properly, or the "bitter and flour" kind for crumble toppings etc

Takes seconds!

NoisyOyster Mon 22-Jun-15 13:26:18

Aargh!!! "Butter and flour" not bitter!! That wouldn't taste very nice at all! wink

Sixgeese Mon 22-Jun-15 13:38:53

Non Tester - I use my food processor to make pastry for mince pies through out the autumn and winter as DH can't get enough of them.

The thing I make most in the Summer months is banana 'ice-cream' blend frozen ripe banana with whatever other fruit I have in the freezer or going overripe in the fruit bowl. The banana give it a creamy texture and it turns out like soft scoop ice cream, the children love it for pudding (I love it because it is a healthy option before they cover it in chocolate sauce)

Sorehead Mon 22-Jun-15 13:40:16

non tester

I'd never really used a food processor until recently my kitchen was the least used room in the house but since starting weaning my son I've had to step up a lot and am trying to cook things from scratch for him.

I've used my food processor to make leek and potato soup (for me!) and my son loved the lentil and vegetable putter I made last week.

Sorehead Mon 22-Jun-15 13:40:48

Purée, not putter blush

is that a cross between purée and butter?

Lariflete Mon 22-Jun-15 14:26:21

Non Tester

I use my food processor for making pesto which Dh has finally admitted to liking
The family favourite meal that I make in the food processor is broccoli and stilton soup. I love how easy it is and would love something that could make other meals as quickly hint hint!

Spirael Mon 22-Jun-15 14:49:38

Non-tester. We don't have a food processor as such, but I do have a little blender that's been used mostly for pureeing baby food but also occasionally for making yummy fresh pesto or curry pastes.

cather Mon 22-Jun-15 16:28:09

Non tester - I use my food processor to make vegetable soup

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now