This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you're a company / brand and would like to run a product test on Mumsnet email insight@mumsnet.com

See what MNers and their DCs thought of Colgate’s® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid NeutraliserTM toothpaste - £300 voucher prize draw for testers’ feedback *NOW CLOSED*

(226 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

KathrynMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 24-Mar-15 09:32:11

This feedback thread is for the 250 Mumsnetters, who have participated in the Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ toothpaste product test with their DCs.

Here’s what Colgate says: “Did you know that 84% of children and all adults suffer from cavities at some point in their life*?

“Cavities, also known as tooth decay, are the most common chronic disease on the planet.
But cavities are preventable and this is why Colgate® has created a breakthrough new anti-cavity toothpaste called Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid NeutraliserTM.

“Providing close to double protection against early decay**, Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection is the first and only toothpaste to contain Sugar Acid NeutraliserTM technology, that goes beyond the protection of fluoride, neutralising sugar acids in plaque – the #1 cause of cavities.

“Colgate’s Head of Scientific Affairs, Foti Panagakos comments:
“More and more we’re aware of the increasing levels of sugar in our diets and the negative impact this has on our health. The need for a toothpaste with built in Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ technology has never been so urgent. Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ will have a tremendous impact on the oral health of the nation.””

*UK Adult Dental Health Survey 2009, The Health and Social Care Information Centre
** Toothpaste with fluoride alone reduced by 32%

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Below are some questions we would like you to answer but feel free to add any other comments you may have.

Q1. What was your overall impression of Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ toothpaste?

Q2. Would you replace your regular toothpaste with Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ toothpaste?

Q3. What did your DCs like most about Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ Kids toothpaste (such as taste, texture, packaging)?

Q4. Would you recommend Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ to other parents?

Everyone who posts their feedback on this thread AND fills in the feedback survey which will be sent next week will be entered into a prize draw where one lucky Mumsnetter will win a £300 voucher for the supermarket of their choice*!

Please note, your comments may be used on Colgate's marketing materials and possibly elsewhere, so please only post if you're comfortable with this.

Thanks and good luck!

MNHQ

*except for Aldi and Lidl

Smcgettigan79 Tue 24-Mar-15 12:56:18

Hiya

Thanks for the samples - I have a couple of first impression comments...

My kids like the taste of the toothpaste and I like the fact that it neutralises sugar acid as they both eat a huge amount of fruit and I do worry about their teeth in that respect. They don't eat that many vegetables (the little blighters!) so I don't necessarily want to cut down their fruit intake so this toothpaste is great for helping with that little problem.

They also like the charts we received and are racking up smiley faces for 2 minutes brushing AM and PM - we have brought them flashing toothbrushes to help with the timing too.

Personally I liked the packaging Purple is good and different from the majority of toothpastes out there but I wasn't blown away by the taste - it is not unpleasant in any way but I like my toothpaste a little punchier, more extra strong mints than mint imperials. That said my husband loves it so it is just down to personal taste...

mummyhaggan91 Tue 24-Mar-15 12:58:28

Q1. What was your overall impression of Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ toothpaste?

It was fresh tasting, the packaging was appealing and over all I would use this again. The first time I used it I thought the after taste was a little strange but i didn't notice it on second use.

Q2. Would you replace your regular toothpaste with Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ toothpaste?

I'm unsure as of yet.

Q3. What did your DCs like most about Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ Kids toothpaste (such as taste, texture, packaging)?

My daughter loved it, she loved the taste of it and i noticed her breath was a lot fresher after use than after the toothpaste she had been using before.

Q4. Would you recommend Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ to other parents?

Yes, I would.

RockingDuck Tue 24-Mar-15 13:02:56

I thought the tubes looked very prestigious; love the purple colour, the taste is ok I prefer more minty though, did wonder why the kids' tube 1/2 size to adults?

yes if it was on special offer as I try to spend £1 per tube on toothpaste, I love the sugar acid neutraliser aspect

they liked the colour 'very posh' and the chart to fill in, the most useful thing for kids isnt a chart but a 2min egg timer - this would be a good thing to put in promo packs? I've just bought some cheap timers on amazon, getting them to conceptualise 2 minutes is very hard (mine are 6 & 8yrs)

yes, it's a good quality product with a great benefit

PeopleOnTheEdgeOfTheNight Tue 24-Mar-15 13:05:34

I'm used to an adult paste with a stronger mint flavour (pro-relief) and didn't like the mild mint of this paste as much. My son likes mint toothpaste and liked this one. If it does what it says, it's a great product.

For children-yes. For me- it depends if I notice my sensitivity recurring. Perhaps a version of this and pro-relief would be possible.

My son loved the taste of it, because it is minty. He wasn't bothered about the packaging.

Yes.

thewomaninwhite Tue 24-Mar-15 13:06:33

I really like it. It tastes minty and that bizarrely makes it feel effective to me. Irrational! The DCs are not keen though. One (age 3) won't use it at all as she hates the taste. The other uses it but finds the taste strong (age 5).

I really like it but feel it is very expensive. I think the cost would put me off in all honesty.

They loved the packaging (as did 1!). It's nice to have a rather different colour rather than the usual blues and greens of toothpaste packaging, Purple and metallic purple was a favourite. The children's packaging looked very adult and I think that made it less enticing in some ways though. In terms if taste, it was/is too strong for DD age 3. DD5 finds it minty strong but is persisting with it.

I will come back and comment on this when we have tried it for a bit longer. Right now, I would say no though. That's because the DDs are not keen on the taste and I think it is costly compared with other brands. I personally like the idea, concept and taste of the adult one though.

CaptainsCabin Tue 24-Mar-15 13:07:08

Q1. My overall impression of this toothpaste is good. I like the packaging, it's a bit brighter and different to other toothpastes which seem to stick to white, blue or green. I like the taste and my teeth feel clean after using it.

Q2. I tend to buy toothpastes that are on offer rather than buying the same toothpaste every shop. I would certainly consider this toothpaste if the price was similar.

Q3. My eldest loved that the packaging for their toothpaste was the same as the adult version. They did mention the mint taste was a bit strong but they normally have a very mild mint toothpaste so it might just be that they aren't used to it yet.

Q4. Yes, if someone asked me about this toothpaste I would recommend it to them.

HairyHandedFucker Tue 24-Mar-15 13:08:52

I liked it, tasted fresh and made my mouth feel clean. I guess it's impossible to tell if it actually works re neutralising sugar acid and reducing chances of getting fillings.

Probably would use our current favourite AND this one - we like variety.

DS (4) liked the purple packaging, but was disappointed the toothpaste wasn't actually purple. Sadly he spat it straight out on his first try. I will try again with him and report back!

Will see how DS gets on again then reply!

GetOutOfBed Tue 24-Mar-15 13:13:28

I liked it. It felt thick and like it coated my mouth in a 'fresh' feeling after brushing.

We don't have a regular toothpaste so I'd not replace it but I would buy it again.

Well my 3 year old said it tasted 'eurgh yuck like custard donuts' but I suspect that's more to do with poppa pig than the toothpaste! She was quite happy to use it.

Yes I would.

asuwere Tue 24-Mar-15 13:23:29

It does look nice and the purple is a good colour. Didn't like that the tube and lid were both very smooth and shiny - can be a bit awkward to open and squeeze with wet hands (usually putting out toothbrushes while kids are in bath in evening)
I wasn't keen on the taste, neither were the kids. DS1 hates mint anyway but all the DC found it quite strong and haven't been enjoying toothbrush time at all!

No, mainly due to the taste as above.

They did like the packaging.

Sadly not, I would say that it's worth a try if they wanted but I wouldn't go out of my way to recommend it.
I do like the idea of the sugar neutraliser but not sure if it works - it's hard to tell at home.

I am curious why there is a kids version as the ingredients seemed to be the same (although in a very slightly different order so perhaps to change the taste slightly?) But the packaging for the adult says it's suitable for children. I, personally prefer to just have 1 tube of toothpaste open for the whole family so found the smaller 'kids' tube a bit unnecessary.

(we never used the charts - it could just be me being a mean mum but don't feel the DC need praise for doing something which is in their normal routine - could end up with charts for getting dressed/brushing hair etc and with 5 DC, I just don't have the wall space! grin)

QuietNinjaTardis Tue 24-Mar-15 13:27:31

My overall impression was good but I did find the toothpaste very thick and didn't like the texture. Taste was fine. Packaging is eye catching.

Possibly, it's not as expensive as I thought it would be. I would probably try to buy it when in offer though.

My ds hated it. Didn't like the texture or the taste and can't persuade him to use it at all apart from that first time.

I would as I think it's a good idea.

queenoftheschoolrun Tue 24-Mar-15 13:37:53

Good quality toothpaste which left my teeth feeling really clean. I usually use whitening toothpastes but to be honest this seems just as good.

Not sure, I'd probably buy again if it was on special offer. And I'd probably buy the larger tube for DD rather than myself as she doesn't seem to dislike it as much as her current toothpaste and I'm not sure she needs the kids version. I'm going to get her to try mine and see what she thinks.

DD liked the fact that her tube was a small version of mine! She thought the taste wasn't as bad as her previous toothpaste. I like the sugar acid neutraliser as she eats a lot of fruit.

Possibly.

bluebump Tue 24-Mar-15 13:40:20

I thought it looked great, I like the purple colour and I really like the taste. I like the way it feels a bit thicker than other toothpastes. My teeth feel lovely and clean too.

Yes I would, as long as it was on offer regularly like other Colgate toothpastes.

My DS liked the fact he got to choose a new toothpaste to really give the trail his all! He says it tastes nice and doesn't fall off his toothbrush once it's been put on just before he goes to brush.

Yes, in fact I already have.

TheWindowDonkey Tue 24-Mar-15 13:40:49

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Very similar to any other white toothpaste in texture and appearance, less minty than Total which we usually use. The cap was screwtop not flip top, i would prefer flip top because its stops the kids losing the lids behind the sink. smile

Q2. Would you replace your regular toothpaste with Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ toothpaste? If it does what it says it does with no long term negative side effects on teeth or gums then yes, but it would depend on price.

Q3. What did your DCs like most about Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ Kids toothpaste (such as taste, texture, packaging)? The purple packaging, though they were dissapointed there was no purple stripe through the toothpaste. smile youngest dc (4) said it was too minty, both said texture was the same as our existing paste.

Q4. Would you recommend Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ to other parents? As Q2.

Purpleflamingos Tue 24-Mar-15 13:57:28

I'm on my phone so there should be more replies by the time I have finished scrolling up and down to read the questions:

Q1 - We loved the packaging. I tried the toothpaste first and really liked it. My teeth actually squeaked towards the end of the two minutes and felt clean. 3yr old dd was far braver than her 5yr old brother and gladly cleaned her teeth with the toothpaste. 5yr old had a meltdown but afterwards agreed to try. He loves it now and agrees that if it does what it says, coupled with a new electric toothbrush, we should be able to keep him much more cavity free.

Q2- I wouldn't hesitate to keep the toothpaste as an essential item in the bathroom for the dc. I will certainly be trying the whitening one for myself as I'm using my regular whitening toothpaste once a day too.

Q3- The dc liked that they got the whole new package. I treated them to new electric toothbrushes which time 2 minutes, and they got the charts for daily brushing. They say their teeth feel cleaner too. Aside from the one meltdown in the beginning by ds there have been absolutely no issues around cleaning their teeth. They were already used to the taste of adult toothpaste as recommended by our dentist so the mild flavour was less intense than they were used to which helped. They like the packaging. At 5 and 3 yrs they seem to be very conscious of 'boys' and 'girls' things even though I've done my best to dissuade them from gender biased views. The fact the the packaging is purple and red with a touch of green means that they can't argue over it.

Q4- I think its a fantastic product but the truth will be revealed at the dentist. Ds is on 3 monthly check ups because of his teeth (he has food intolerance issues which are starting to affect his teeth). If we are cavity free I shall be telling everyone to buy this!

I would also like to add thank you for the information sheet. There was a really basic fact on there that I didn't know - to wait an hour after eating before brushing teeth. I have been brushing after giving them chocolate and fruit to try and get the sugar off their teeth.

SinclairSpectrum Tue 24-Mar-15 14:00:48

Q1;
Overall impression was good,like the packaging however not sure the adult toothpaste would be distinguishable from any other on the market.

Q2;
Yes if it was the same price as other similar products.

Q3;
Kids all like the packaging, thought it was very grown up.
I like that they can all use the same paste, I usually use a 'big teeth' and 'little kids' tube. They all liked the flavour, the youngest can get quite upset if a toothpaste is too minty.
The texture is good, and didn't drop off the brush even when ds1 was waving it around!

Q4;
Yes, I like the overall principle of the sugar protection.

leccybill Tue 24-Mar-15 14:11:01

I like the purple colour but I'd prefer a tall stand-up tube, you don't see many of them anymore. I had 'Fresh mint' and to be honest, I think it needs to be mintier, I don't feel as fresh as when I use my usual toothpaste. It doesn't froth as much as my current whitening toothpaste.

Possibly. It is very expensive as an eye-watering £3.79. It would have to be on offer. I like what it does though and I support that. My dd drinks a lot of dilute juice.

She likes the mildness of it and the chart although some tiny stickers might have been good. Stickers are currency in our house!

Yes I would. It seems a unique product and I feel like it's beneficial.

FMJ1000 Tue 24-Mar-15 14:23:51

Loved it! Packaging makes it look more 'exclusive'. Purple is ds's favourite colour so he was happy. I like the fact the tubes look similar.

Definitely. I would stock up when on offer but will continue using. I love the feeling after having used it. My teeth feel so clean and smooth and it lasts for hours.

Packaging, taste.

Definitely! An extra helping hand to combat sugar consumption, especially with so many hidden ones.

Truebecca Tue 24-Mar-15 14:25:48

Hello,

Answers to Q.1 - overall impression was great looking tube, good size and I enjoyed the brushing experience and my teeth feel very shiny and clean afterwards. Although I agree with other mumsnetter about screw top - I've managed to lose my lid already! It's not drying up yet and it's been open almost a week so that's good I suppose......!? My DC really likes her child toothpaste it's much more strong minty and foamy than her usual kids toothpaste but I worry it's perhaps not necessary at her age (3) and of course I worry about the increase in fluoride intake.

Q.2 - yes I would keep using the toothpaste for myself, I eat a lot of sweets and biscuits and if this toothpaste does what it claims to, then I should avoid another filling at the next dentist appointment. Im undecided about the children's toothpaste yet.

Q.3 - the taste I think!

Q.4 - yes I would recommend it to friends especially my new mum friends ��

glasgowlass Tue 24-Mar-15 14:28:28

Q1.
My overall impression was that this toothpaste was fabulous. My mouth felt really clean after brushing. Sometimes when I change toothpaste my mouth can feel a bit 'claggy', I didn't get this sensation with this product. The packaging would definately stand out to me on supermarket shelves. The purple is very eye catching.

Q2.
I would certainly change my usual toothpaste with this even though it is a fair bit more expensive.

Q3.
He liked that his tube and packaging was the same as the adults. He has thrown his ninja turtles toothpaste out already (thank goodness!) He really likes that is not too minty and said his teeth felt clean. He loved the brushing chart too!

Q4.
I would most certainly recommend this toothpaste for children and adults.

CookieDoughKid Tue 24-Mar-15 14:39:44

Nice smart packaging in standout purple colours. Like that it was in a standup tube, thats a +1 from me!

I would definitely consider it. But I'd want to have more information on the science behind the sugar acid neutraliser which I didn't get from your initial blurb i.e., how fast acting is it? how long will I benefit from the neutraliser?

I really like the fact it was a mild mint (although you may want to relabel the 'Fresh mint'. It's too misleading as I was expecting a far mintier toothpaste).

Kids (7 & 5) didn't like it at all unfortunately but I think they are at the age they are more persuaded by cartoony rainbow packaging. It's not quite 'child attractive' to my dcs.

Actually I would if they like a more mild mint flavoured toothpaste and if the science stacks up behind it being a neutraliser.

hydra234 Tue 24-Mar-15 14:43:36

I thought the taste at first was very weak, I think I am used to a minty hit, however the clean feel afterwards was a lot better than my regular brand. Also felt like my breath was fresher for longer.

I will, but probably wait for special offers to pop up and buy in bulk!

He loved the fact that his new toothpaste looked exactly the same as Mum and Dad's and didn't have anything " for babies" on it. Apart from that he said it tasted nice, but he prefers the taste of chocolate. Fair Enough.

Yes Definitely, every little bit helps when it comes to kids brushing there teeth and knowing there's another active ingredient doing it's magic on those little teeth is very comforting.

Lariflete Tue 24-Mar-15 14:47:05

Packaging was nice -ver eye-catching! The initial taste of the toothpaste was unpleasant compared to our normal Colgate Icy Blast but actually improved during brushing. The aftertaste and clean feeling that the toothpaste left was really good.

Yes. It is more expensive but so far the clean feeling on our teeth is lasting most of the day, which is fantastic.

They're not keen on the texture but they both like the packaging and they quite like the minty taste, although it isn't as strong as our usual toothpaste. I would buy the 'adult' version for all of us in future.

Yes.

Ellisisland Tue 24-Mar-15 15:01:21

Overall very happy with it. Good taste and I really like th idea behind it. We eat a lot of fruit as a family and I have a chocolate habit smile so really like something that will help protect our teeth from the sugar.

Yes i would. Happy with the product and teeth do feel very clean after using.

My DS is not as impressed as me! He has spat out the toothpaste and says he doesn't like the taste. I am persevering because I like the idea of him using this toothpaste but so far he is not impressed.
Like the packaging the fact the top is a flip cap is good so the toothpaste doesn't dry out. Also like the purple as that makes it easier to differentiate between other brands and types of toothpaste.

Q4. Would you recommend Colgate® Maximum Cavity Protection plus Sugar Acid Neutraliser™ to other parents? Yes I would.

tostaky Tue 24-Mar-15 15:07:58

Q1 - Good toothpaste from a recognised brand. I like the fact it helps against fruit acid although the children (and us) tend to finish their meal by a dairy.
Q2 - yes, i tend to vary the toothpaste sI buy but this one would get its place amongst my top-ranking ones.

Q3 - Dcs didnt like the taste, too string and peppery. They like the packaging as it looks more like a "big person" toothpaste.

Q4 - i can see it coming in a discussion about juices and fruits and smoothies. Definitely.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now