This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

See what MNers thought of Lindam safety gates (£250 John Lewis prize draw for feedback!) and add your tips for making your home safer and more child friendly – Full Home Lindam Safety Pack (worth up to £378)NOW CLOSED

(111 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 11:35:47

This thread is for the 50 Mumsnetters who tested out Lindam's Extending White Metal Safety Gate and/or the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate.

Here's what Matthew Wilson, Lindam Marketing Director EMEA and dad of two says, "Safety is absolutely paramount for any parent and in fact, latest research by Which? has found safety to be a top priority for new mothers and fathers. Research findings showed that safety gates are the most popular and useful products for new families and in the run up to Child Safety Week (23rd-29th June) we're really keen to raise awareness of just how important safety gates are, and which ones are best for each individual families' needs.

Finding the right gate can be overwhelming but there really is something for everyone. Pressure Fit or Wall fix are available to fit a range of openings. Gates also have a range of handles and closing mechanisms depending on your requirements. From a Pressure Fit option such as Easy Fit Plus Deluxe to the top of the range Wall Fix NUMI Aluminium Extending Safety Gate, safety, quality and value are key for all gates and each now comes with a lifetime guarantee.

For further information, and to see the wider Lindam range, please visit www.lindam.com"

Non-testers: What are your top tips for ensuring that your home is baby and child friendly when it comes to safety? From covering sharp corners, to making sure any medicines are out of reach, whatever it is, we?d love to hear it.

Everyone who adds their comments will be entered into a prize draw to win a Full Home Lindam Safety Pack (worth up to £378) which includes: 4 x Safety Gates of your choice, Xtra Guard socket covers, corner cushions, 2 x door stoppers, 4x latches, toddler bed rail, and a nursery night light set.

Testers: Please answer the questions below. Feel free to add any other comments you may have too!

Q1. Did you try the Extending White Metal Safety Gate or the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate (or both)? What was your overall impression?
Q2. How easy were the gates to assemble and install?
Q3. Did you find the Safety Gates effective in keeping your children safer? If so, why? If not, why not?
Q4. Do you think you?ll continue to use the Lindam Safety Gates? If so, why? If not, why not?
Q5. Would you recommend the Lindam Safety Gates you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Everyone who leaves their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

Ruby6918 Tue 03-Jun-14 23:53:50

glue a small eraser to just inside the top of drawers so if they slam they wont catch a childs finger when they r bigger they can be easily removed again, keep a bag of cotton wool in the kitchen for glass breakages as this is the quickest way to pick up broken china, plates or glass should it happen when a wee one it about, soft fabric doorstops are brill at the creeping stage so you can leave a door open between rooms so the wind doesnt blow it shut or someone else opens the door into the baby while they are moving about, and always keep a wee first aid kit handy so you can get it if needed,

Essexgirlupnorth Wed 04-Jun-14 13:06:51

I received the easy fit plus and the extending metal gate. The easy fit plus seemed very easy to fit but was unfortunately to narrow for our stairs which are extra wide as we are a new build. The extending metal should be wide enough but have not had time to fit it yet as looks more complicated.
The gates look sturdy and will keep my daughter safe unfortunately don't seem to work to well with our house.
The easy fit plus deluxe we hope to use at grandparents house.
Baby has just started crawling so was in desperate need of some gates.

rallytog1 Wed 04-Jun-14 19:49:29

Tester

Q1. Did you try the Extending White Metal Safety Gate or the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate (or both)? What was your overall impression?
Easy Fit Deluxe Gate. First impressions were very good - the gates look very smart and felt sturdy. Once assembled and installed (pressure fit), they have been easy to use and have had the desired effect of keeping our 13mo dd out of the more hazardous areas of our home. We're very happy with them and are likely to buy some more.

I have to admit that I let my DH take the lead on assembling and installing the gates. He found the gates themselves very easy to put together and put in place. There was a slight issue with the newel post on our stairs, which was a bit wobbly and needed to be made more rigid and strong to cope with the pressure of the gate. However, that just shows how well the gates fit and how secure they are once they're in place.

Q3. Did you find the Safety Gates effective in keeping your children safer? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes. Our 13mo dd is a bit of a Houdini and likes to solve puzzles, so she's had several attempts to work out how to operate the gate. However, they feel very safe and we don't think she has a chance of opening them herself.

Q4. Do you think you?ll continue to use the Lindam Safety Gates? If so, why? If not, why not?
Definitely. They fit well, look smart and keep our dd safe. We have no reason not to continue using them.

Q5. Would you recommend the Lindam Safety Gates you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?
Definitely. Obviously we didn't pay for the gates we received, but looking online they seem to represent good value for the peace of mind they provide.

ClothBumMum Thu 05-Jun-14 20:10:05

Tester

1) easy fit deluxe gate. Found them sturdy but as with all metal gates not particularly attractive. Surely if it's going to be in place for 2/3 years they could make them look a bit nicer somehow. What with gates and the metal fire guard my house looks like a prison!!
2) Yes very easy to install, but I have used Lindam before.
3)Found them to be very effective. He can pull himself up on them so it's a fun game for him to luzz things over the top too. Hmmm... My only suggestion in an ideal world is that they are made a bit taller. But tbh that's because we are both tall and also because I mainly use them at the moment to keep my dog out of rooms and she has learnt to jump over them today...
4) yes we will continue to use them.
5)yes would recommend - not too expensive and seem durable enough (esp with lifetime guarantee!)

Thanks MN and Lindam!

HorseyGirl1 Thu 05-Jun-14 22:15:45

Firstly, thank you very much for sending the gates to us to try. They were very much appreciated.
We tried both. To be honest the Easy Fit Deluxe was my favourite. I liked the gate design and it was simple to use and fit in principle. Only one complaint, could you make it wider or the fitting attachment bolts slightly longer. It fitted our stairs but barely just and to be honest I think I may need to get a flat board to make it just a little better fit. The extending white metal safety Gate was completely fine but a bit fiddley to fit and the instructions would have benefited from worded instructions as well as pics. Took me ages to put it together and I love putting kit like that together. Both products were great but in an ideal world I would have preferred the Easy Fit Deluxe.

Easy Fit Deluxe was a doddle - very simple to fit and use - very much liked the simple design. Extending White Metal Safety Gate was less simple to put together.
Yes, both products are great but I probably wouldn't trust the Easy Fit Deluxe in my own home personally because of the width issue for our house but certainly would recommend it to others and if my stairs weren't so wide I would buy another one.Perhaps make them in extra wide too?
Yes, I will use the extending gate but not very regretfully not the Deluxe model which is a real shame. I wanted it for my stairs but will now have to use it for a room
Definitely would recommend them, excellent products that feel sturdy.

Good quality gates - we used both

I had all the intentions of fitting these myself before my other half came home but to be honest I found them hard to fit single handedly.

Q3. Did you find the Safety Gates effectivee in keeping your children safer? If so, why? If not, why not?

Definitely! Have one at the bottom of the stairs and the no drill gate between lounge and kitchen...my youngest twin (9 months) rattles at the gate but it remains locked in position

Definitely will keep them in place as long as needed

Would recommend for quality (and even
though we didn't pay for these they appear good value for the money they do cost). They are very stable and even haven't moved when my larger than life rugby playing partner crashed into one!

Thanks MN and thanks Lindam

C

Am I right in assuming by question 4 that we will be keeping the gates? I couldn't tell by the original thread!

MsPickle Sun 08-Jun-14 22:46:05

We had the extending White Metal Safety gate to replace the previous wooden one which had taken 4 years of punishment on our kitchen door. The fixings had finally given up to hungry toddlers bouncing up and down demanding their tea cooked faster.

I got my husband to do it - he'd fitted the previous one, didn't think the instructions were any good. It's a different size so needed everything re setting. He didn't find it particularly easy and it took about an hour all told.

yes, that's why we were pleased to replace it. We've a narrow galley kitchen and if the oven is on it's not safe for small people. We've also previously used one on the living room door which was very useful. We have a Lindam travel gate blocking our wine rack which lives in our fireplace, that's a permanent fixture for now. Prefer that to drunk small children!

Yes, see above.

Yes, I would and we have.

On the other products - I'm not a fan of plug guards. the corner cushions never stood up to even a cursory inspection by curious toddlers. But blind cord winders have been a necessity and used in many places.

We've mainly gone down the 'don't touch' rather than remove route but do have doors on our hifi cabinet as that's all too tempting!

deakymom Sun 08-Jun-14 23:18:26

non tester ive one of your gates it squeals like pig what the hell is wrong with it!!

cushions are a lifesaver! my son uses them as an assault course if he trips he lands on a cushion so he does not get hurt

non trip stair gates are better this is my third child and ive just discovered how great they are!

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 09-Jun-14 11:03:06

Thanks to everyone who has posted on this thread. Congratulations to OsMalleyTheCat who won a £250 John Lewis voucher for leaving their feedback and PinotGreedy who won a Full Lindam Home Safety Pack for posting their tips for how to safety proof a home for a child. We'll be in touch shortly!

Siri1 Wed 11-Jun-14 15:53:52

Tester:
Q1:Sturdy & well made for function.
Q2: easy for DH to fit but he is a carpenter
Q3: baby kept safe even though she is fascinated by the gates & wants to open them herself she isn't able to do so, I don't think she will for sometime yet
Q4: definitely keep using them as they do the job well
Q5: have recommended to others, also recommended the baby playpen as we had loads of work done around the house & was invaluable as a safe place for my 7-12month old

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now