This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

See what MNers thought of Lindam safety gates (£250 John Lewis prize draw for feedback!) and add your tips for making your home safer and more child friendly – Full Home Lindam Safety Pack (worth up to £378)NOW CLOSED

(111 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 23-May-14 11:35:47

This thread is for the 50 Mumsnetters who tested out Lindam's Extending White Metal Safety Gate and/or the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate.

Here's what Matthew Wilson, Lindam Marketing Director EMEA and dad of two says, "Safety is absolutely paramount for any parent and in fact, latest research by Which? has found safety to be a top priority for new mothers and fathers. Research findings showed that safety gates are the most popular and useful products for new families and in the run up to Child Safety Week (23rd-29th June) we're really keen to raise awareness of just how important safety gates are, and which ones are best for each individual families' needs.

Finding the right gate can be overwhelming but there really is something for everyone. Pressure Fit or Wall fix are available to fit a range of openings. Gates also have a range of handles and closing mechanisms depending on your requirements. From a Pressure Fit option such as Easy Fit Plus Deluxe to the top of the range Wall Fix NUMI Aluminium Extending Safety Gate, safety, quality and value are key for all gates and each now comes with a lifetime guarantee.

For further information, and to see the wider Lindam range, please visit www.lindam.com"

Non-testers: What are your top tips for ensuring that your home is baby and child friendly when it comes to safety? From covering sharp corners, to making sure any medicines are out of reach, whatever it is, we?d love to hear it.

Everyone who adds their comments will be entered into a prize draw to win a Full Home Lindam Safety Pack (worth up to £378) which includes: 4 x Safety Gates of your choice, Xtra Guard socket covers, corner cushions, 2 x door stoppers, 4x latches, toddler bed rail, and a nursery night light set.

Testers: Please answer the questions below. Feel free to add any other comments you may have too!

Q1. Did you try the Extending White Metal Safety Gate or the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate (or both)? What was your overall impression?
Q2. How easy were the gates to assemble and install?
Q3. Did you find the Safety Gates effective in keeping your children safer? If so, why? If not, why not?
Q4. Do you think you?ll continue to use the Lindam Safety Gates? If so, why? If not, why not?
Q5. Would you recommend the Lindam Safety Gates you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Everyone who leaves their feedback on this thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £250 John Lewis voucher.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

neenienana Sat 24-May-14 09:24:02

Non tester.
We are about to enter the moving phase with my daughter who is my third after a 6 yr gap. I am going to fit one in her room as I think it will be easier to manage her upstairs. We always has safty catches on the cupboard. Which luckily we haven't removed. Everything out of reach, and constant supervision are key in my experience.

BettyOff Sat 24-May-14 09:25:09

Tester

Will leave full review later but picked my Easy Fit Deluxe gates up 10 mins ago (missed yesterday's delivery) and the first one is up already. I agree that written instructions alongside would be helpful but it was fine. Hopefully the top of our stairs will be a lot safer now!

Thanks Mumsnet and Lindam, I'll review the rest once we've them through their paces.

judypoops Sat 24-May-14 10:19:42

The first gate is up and I quote dh; "that was much easier than I thought it would be!" Ds2 is asleep at the moment but will update when he's put it to the test!

bonzo77 Sat 24-May-14 10:37:09

Tester: thank you so much lindam and MN!

1. I tested the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate.

2. They are very easy to assemble and install. My DIY skills are fairly rudimentary, and I didn't use the instructions, though I've had other lindam gates in the past. They come with foam sticker things and cups, i guess to make them more secure, but I've not used them. We got away without them in the past and they'll damage the woodwork.

3. They definitely keep my kids safer. Not so much my 4 year old DS1, who is more than capable of opening them. But my 18 month old DS2 who is not walking is a demon stair- climber, but not so good at getting down safely. Also, as the cat can jump the gates, it means she can escape from DS2. These gates, like all pressure fit ones, have a bar across the bottom, which is a trip hazard. There is no way round this, apart from being careful. If the colour contrasts with that of your flooring that's helpful. If it didn't, and you had people prone to falls then I think I might put some of that yellow and black tape over it so it's more visible. My Grandmother is 88 and arthritic and not steady on her feet, and we are very careful to make sure she knows where her feet are when she has to step over the bar.

4. I'll definitely continue to use them. We have 3 flights of stairs, 2 small ones and one big one. I have gates currently at the top and bottom (bottom is one of the new trial gates) of the big stairs, top of the top little stairs, the bottom of the bottom little stairs (one of the new gates) (which is also the entrance to the kitchen), and also an old gate with extension units across the double doors into our sitting room, which is like a big play pen.

5. I'd definitely recommend them. I'm not sure about what advantage these have over my older gates Lindam axis. You operate them the same way, but the mechanism itself seems a little more complex. As you get a life time guarantee I guess it doesn't really matter if they are less robust, but it would be irritating if the mechanism packed up and you needed to use the gate. They fit gaps 75-82cm. Once of our gaps is exactly 82 cm and the gate is indeed fine there. You can buy extensions from the Lindam website.

Now, socket covers. I thought that in the UK the sockets were designed in such a way that they were very safe indeed and socket covers make them more dangerous, not less. Good explanation here. I've never used them.

ataraxia Sat 24-May-14 10:44:33

Non-tester - minimize the number of ornaments/knicknacks and keep any that remain on high shelves.

themitch21 Sat 24-May-14 12:03:12

Tester:

Q1. Did you try the Extending White Metal Safety Gate or the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate (or both)? What was your overall impression?

I tried both and I have to say I was impressed with both of them for different reasons. The extending gate took a little more time to put in correctly but the fact you could then take it on and off really easily was a big plus point. The easy fit gate was true to it's word and I liked the fact that it's a pressure fit so there was minimum holes needed in the wall. Just a few screws for extra safety.

I'm a bit of a DIY disaster so I passed this one over to my husband. He assures me that they posed him no problem and the gates were already pre assembled. It seems like they've made them as simple as possible to install but as it's the kids safety at risk I'd rather let someone with more experience fit them.

Q3. Did you find the Safety Gates effective in keeping your children safer? If so, why? If not, why not?

I found the extending gate more effective as it doesn't have a bottom bar so there's no triip hazard. I know the easy fit has the double lock feature using the bottom bar but I wouldn't feel safe having it on the stairs in case the kids tripped over it.

Q4. Do you think you?ll continue to use the Lindam Safety Gates? If so, why? If not, why not?

Definitely, my youngest is learning to sleep in a big girl bed at the moment so she's always up and down at night. We've put an extra one on her bedroom door so she can see into our room but can't go wandering in the dark.

Q5. Would you recommend the Lindam Safety Gates you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Definitely, in fact one of my friends is pregnant now and I've already been telling her about the extending one, which would be perfect for her kitchen in order to keep the dogs away from the baby when she's feeding.

Mammabear31 Sat 24-May-14 12:25:40

Tester

We were given 2 x easy fit deluxe gates to test. I am very happy with the installation, performance and durability of the gates so far, and DS seems to enjoy pulling himself up and peeking through the bars so it's an new "game" too - bonus smile

As someone who always starts flat pack and then ends up calling in DH as I've either messed it up or can't figure it out, I found it relatively easy to install the gates. I would agree with a previous poster that written instructions would have made the process that bit easier, but it was pretty foolproof as it was (although it took me a while to figure out you had to lift the back of the latch to open the gate, a bit of clarification in the instructions would have been beneficial).

Yes, we do - we have one set at the kitchen door and the other on our sons bedroom door. Our son isn't bothered by the gates and enjoys shouting at us over the bars! It's really useful for being able to leave him playing safely for a minute while we nip to the loo or answer the door. I also feel alot better now he can't get into the kitchen, especially when the oven is on.

Yes we will, and will keep them for our next child too. They are brilliant for letting our son explore and learn independantly but safely at the same time.

Yes we absolutely would.

Extra note: We found quite a few dirty marks and scratches in the paint on one of our gates. It was also very creaky til DH went at it with the WD40! Otherwise we are very happy with them.

Wjjkl Sat 24-May-14 19:36:52

Received my gates - thank you. Will add review once fitted & tested!

KateOxford Sat 24-May-14 19:39:21

Testers: Please answer the questions below. Feel free to add any other comments you may have too!

Q1. Did you try the Extending White Metal Safety Gate or the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate (or both)? What was your overall impression? Easy fit deluxe gate
Q2. How easy were the gates to assemble and install? My husband installed it in under 10 minutes. He found it very straight forward and didn't use the instructions.
Q3. Did you find the Safety Gates effective in keeping your children safer? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes definitely. We've installed one on my daughters bedroom door which means we can safely enclose her in her room in the event we need to go to the toilet or answer the front door etc. In the future when she is in a bed rather than a cot it will prevent her from wandering in the night time.
Q4. Do you think you?ll continue to use the Lindam Safety Gates? If so, why? If not, why not? Yes. Most definitely. It feels a really strong gate. Very straight forward to use and very robust. It feels much better quality than the Mothercare gate we had on my sons room (until he broke it off). I was worried about the trip bar but it's actually very narrow and as it fits flush to the ground doesn't bother me at all. I have to say it would have put me off buying this product but it is not a problem so I hope this reassures others.
Q5. Would you recommend the Lindam Safety Gates you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not? Absolutely. It is a very easy to fit gate which doesn't leave awful marks on the wall as my previous gate has done. It's easy for an adult to open. It's strong and feels excellent quality. Completely satisfied. Thank you very much.

glorious Sat 24-May-14 21:02:59

Q1. Tested the Easy Fit Deluxe Gates. Overall i think they're really sturdy and easy to use.
Q2. Pretty easy to install, though I agree that verbal instructions as well as pictures would be good.
Q3. I would hesitate to put these at the top of the stairs because of the bottom bar. But they are doing very well in doorways (dining room, where my 15mo plays and which is near one set of stairs, and her bedroom door). They mean I can nip to another room, it's quite liberating!
Q4. Yes I think at least the one in the dining room as now she's walking it'd be so easy for her to get to the stairs. She can go down safely and is very good at waiting for me but I don't know how long that'll last. I'll keep the one for her door for when she goes into a bed as there's a flight of stairs each way outside her door.
Q5. Yes if not for the top of the stairs.

Thank you Lindam!

asuwere Sat 24-May-14 21:38:17

tester

both, overall seem nice, look quite good and seem quite solid. Lifetime guarantee gives me confidence.

Very easy. Ironically, I found the Extending gate easier to install than the Easy Fit one. I think I was expecting it to be the other way round and started with the Easy Fit one and by the time I got to the extending, I then expected it to be much more awkward but it was very straightforward.
It would be good to have written instructions though - don't really like just pictures. I installed the Easy Fit gate without the door frame cup things as I didn't want to use sticky pads or screws in the door frame (which is why I was using the pressure fit there) It seemed pretty sturdy and my DC had a lot of attempts and moving it and never managed! Due to the pressure fit, it does mean it has the bar at the bottom which I loathe!

Both gates did what they are supposed to do and kept the child in an area I wanted them to stay in (or out of an area I didn't want them in) I do prefer the Extending gate for safety though, depending on where it's installed, when it's open, it can be easy to move out of the way - against a wall. The Easy Fit gate, as mentioned, has the bar at the bottom which I would not have near stairs as it is bad enough in a doorway for tripping. Also, the Easy Fit gate has a smaller opening and when I wanted to leave the gate open, I found it just got in the way, it barely manages to open to 90 degrees and I then had to walk round it to get in/out a room. It may be fine if you never leave it open but I feel that the child doesn't need it closed at all times.

I will continue to use the Extending gate, it is great. The Easy Fit gate has already been removed and I don't think I will be using it again. I will put it in the attic in case I do feel the need to try it again but I feel it may be making it's way to the charity shop.

As above, if asked, I would probably recommend the Extending gate but definitely not the Easy Fit gate.

snowymum12 Sat 24-May-14 21:48:36

I've tested both types of gate. We only put them up this morning but are already feeling much more reassured as our adventurous daughter can't escape up our steep stairs by herself anymore! The gates are really great quality. The extending gate had to be screwed into the wall, which was pretty straightforward and, in my opinion, gives the gate extra stability (our landing is an awkward shape so it was ideal). The easy fix was a doddle to assemble and is really sturdy (at the base of our stairs). I like the opening mechanism on the easy fix, it is better than others I've seen when visiting friends with children as it has a sort of handle.
I'll definitely be keeping the gates up for the foreseeable future (I've another baby due imminently so the need for stair gates will be around for a good while in our house). They do the job perfectly.
I have already phoned my sister to tell her about the gates as she was looking for some ready for her child and couldn't make her mind up. I'll definitely recommend them to others too.

hakunafrittata Sun 25-May-14 02:13:13

Non-tester

I've not read the thread so apologies if I repeat other suggestions.

If you have any sort of apparatus which involves buckles or harnesses for babies-take the extra 2 mins to read safety instructions included and utilise them correctly. Small children are always learning so may surprise you when they buck their legs/ throw their weight forward. An example of a surprise was when my DS was 1 months old and having tummy time, and in less than 5 seconds had managed to roll over on his mat really quickly which gave him a scare. It must have been a fluke because he didn't do it again till 4 months later.

Do not be afraid of being firm with people (especially inexperienced people) who wish to hold your baby if you are anxious . A polite 'make sure you focus and support his/her head/ I would prefer if you were seated' will make you feel better. If they take exception and act offended then ask for your baby back. If they were understanding they would reassure you rather than belittle your feelings.

SaltySeaBird Sun 25-May-14 07:45:13

I think TopsysMum has it spot on!

I taught DD to go up and down stairs safely as soon as she was curious about them. Before she was a year old she was fine going up and then sliding down legs first on her tummy. That way when she was round relatives and friends houses who didn't have stair gates I didn't worry.

I've always let her explore and tried to teach her the dangers of things rather than just block then off. The door catches I put on the kitchen cupboards were useless, so I let her look in the cupboards and pull the mugs out etc (with me helping). She soon got bored with it. We made sure the dangerous things were just high up.

We don't have any baby safety stuff that we use now, she is 19 months old. She figured out how to open the stairgates (same ones as in this product test) a while ago. I actually think the gates you have to lift slightly are safer.

Please don't enter me in the contest, I wanted to comment on the discussion but the non-tester prize would be wasted on me!

PinotGreedy Sun 25-May-14 11:07:20

Non tester here. We have a lot of bookshelves so secured all of these to the wall. Anything dangerous is on a high shelf out of reach. Bought CO monitor. Found some really useful window stays for the upstairs windows and got my dad to fix them - called 'securistay'. The cupboard under the sink has a permanent child lock on it.

BettyOff Sun 25-May-14 12:07:28

TESTER

The Easy Fit Deluxe gate.

The gate was a doddle to fit and took less than 10 minutes but I would say I find written instructions easier than pictures.

I've fitted my gate at the top of the stairs. We have a turn in our stairs so just one stair under the gate before the rest of the flight so I feel ok putting it there despite it having a raised bar that could be a trip hazard. Saying that my DD sits down at the top of the stairs and turns round to come down backwards and seems to have taken the bar in her stride too. She's given it a good going over with shaking it and climbing on it and it hasn't budged which I'm happy with.

Yes I will continue with it.

Yes I would. I know a pressure fit gate isn't for everyone because of the bar but it was easy to fit and seems really solid.

Thanks Lindam and Mumsnet.

As for the other safety tips I have to say we're not very babyproofed here. Large things are attached to the wall and she's never alone in the kitchen so she can't get into the cleaning cupboard but other than that I just persistently tell her no when she goes for something she shouldn't. I need to fit some locks to the hazardous cupboards but other than that and making sure there's no looped blind cords there's not much else planned as yet. I'm probably too laid back about it but hopefully not. grin

We tried the easy fit deluxe - so far so good!

I had a go first and fiddled about a bit, couldn't work it out straight away so asked my dh to do it - he said it was the easiest thing he'd ever put up. I'm no good at following diagram instructions - I also lack patience!

Yes particularly the youngest (11 months) as she has no idea how to work them. I would advocate using the twisty thing at the bottom to make sure that it can only open one way up the stairs as my 2 yr old dd tried to open them and nearly flew down the stairs! -our mistake!

Yes we need them to stop the youngest from falling down the stairs and clambering up too!
The only thing that we might find wearing is dd1 is used to just going upstairs to use the loo but she can't always mange to open the gates.

Yes, particularly to under 2 yr olds

I didn't read the other reviews before posting mine so as not to be biased. It's interesting that so many have said about the instructions!

glorious Sun 25-May-14 14:03:58

Just coming back to say thank goodness for this test because DD got out of bed after her nap for the first time ever, so quietly that despite the monitor the first thing I knew was seeing her rattling the gate. Her room is right by stairs both up and down, and while she can tackle them safely I'd rather she didn't alone. Hooray for the gate!

AndHarry Sun 25-May-14 15:21:23

Tester.

I got one of each. My overall first impression was that they looked of good quality and fairly easy to use.

I didn't use the cup/sticker part of the Easy Fit Deluxe Gate as it's for my ILs' house and they want to be able to take it out when the grandchildren aren't there. As other testers have said, it works fine without it and installation takes about 10 minutes.

The Extending White Metal Safety Gate is for our house. It's really easy to put up - takes about 20 minutes including drilling time.

Yes. I have two DC - a 4 year-old and an 18 month-old. The 4yo can open the gates quite easily and let himself in and out, which is just fine as they're not really for him. If he couldn't open them he would try to climb over them so I'm glad he can! The gate means that I can shower in peace knowing that the little one won't go anywhere she shouldn't and I have another one across the door to the kitchen so that she isn't clinging onto my ankles as I cook or playing with the oven.

Yes I will. They give me peace of mind and, especially in the kitchen area, keep the toddler out without me needing the close doors, so I can still keep an eye on her and talk to her as she plays.

Yes I would. They are good quality and easy to use.

AndHarry Sun 25-May-14 15:21:45

Oh, and thanks for choosing me to take part!

BonjourMinou Sun 25-May-14 19:37:23

Just wanted to add a big thank you to Lindam and Mumsnet for choosing me to take part! flowers

judypoops Sun 25-May-14 20:28:05

tester

1. We tested the Easy Fit Deluxe Gates. We are really happy with them and they are strong, sturdy and it's handy that they open both ways. Nice looking gates!

2. Dh assembled and at first thought it was going to be a fiddly task (grumpy!) but was pleasantly surprised and they were a doddle (10 minutes)

3. The gates seem very safe and ds2 - who is always looking for an escape route- has been unable to get through. Ds1 (8) has just tested it out for me and tried to budge it but it was going nowhere. Feel very confident that this is a strong, safe gate.

4. We will definitely continue to use these gates and we're really pleased with them! The reason is because they work well whilst looking good too.

5. We will be recommending the Easy Fit Deluxe Gates to friends and family because they are a fantastic design.

Thank you MNHQ and Lindam

Hopezibah Mon 26-May-14 00:14:56

non-tester. I think so much depends on the individual child as to how much safety -proofing you have to do. Stair safety is a must for all little ones but beyond that it has really varied for each of my three children. One was a real climber and pushed the boundaries for everything - so we needed kitchen cupboard locks on all the cupboards and we had to watch him like a hawk.

Middle son more laid back - needed safety catch on cleaning fluid cupboard but not really elsewhere.

third child we only have stairgate at top and she hasn't tried to get into cupboards at all.

We use socket covers on all plug switches.

Fridge / Tv locks not used.

One of those door stopper guards is a must for preventing fingers slammed in doors.

Bubbles85 Mon 26-May-14 06:41:03

Non tester. We are just making our house child safe now. We got down on our hands and knees and had a crawl! From there we could see more dangers that needed sorting than from our birds eye view.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now