This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Miele feedback thread. Non-testers: Share your tips on living with allergies or what makes your perfect vacuum cleaner – Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy to be won! NOW CLOSED

(123 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Apr-14 09:41:31

This thread is for the 10 Mumsnetters who tried either the Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the Miele S8 Silence Solution.

Here’s what Miele say, “Build quality and efficiency have always been at the forefront of our vacuum cleaner design, with improving your lifestyle at home as our goal. Our Hyclean dustbags are an important functionality of the Miele vacuum cleaner being the most effective way of keeping dust and dirt from re-entering your home. Each bag is made from a special kind of fleece that gives you nine layers of filtration designed to capture even the smallest of particles and its automatic hygiene shutter ensuring dust and bacteria is not expelled back into the air when you dispose of it, making it perfect for allergy sufferers.

Built with allergy sufferers in mind, the S8 Silence Solution and the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy detailed in this thread both feature our new HEPA 13 filter designed to remove up to 99.999% of particles* from the air making them perfect for all allergy sufferers including dust, pollen and asthma.

With all of these key features combined, the Miele vacuum cleaner system facilitates the capture of the smallest allergens that are not visible to the naked eye, such as bed bugs, dust mite and dust mite faeces that typically cause irritation.

(*according to IEC 60312)”

Non-testers: If you or any of your family have any allergies, what tips do you have to make living with allergies a bit easier, be they inside or outside the home? If you, or any of your family, don’t have any allergies tell us about what would make your perfect vacuum cleaner. What does your vacuum cleaner not do which you think it should? Whatever it is, tell us about it!

Everyone who adds their comments will be entered into a prize draw where one Mumsnetter will win a Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy.

Testers: Thanks for testing out one of the Miele vacuum cleaners. Please answer the questions below to give us your feedback. Of course, feel free to add any other comments you may have as well.

Q1. Which Miele vacuum cleaner did you try, the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the S8 Silence Solution? What was your overall impression?
Q2. How effective did you think the vacuum cleaner was in helping to prevent allergic reactions in the home?
Q3. How quiet or noisy did you find the vacuum cleaner? Would you be happy to vacuum clean while someone in your home was asleep without being afraid of waking them up, or not?
Q4. Would you recommend the Miele vacuum cleaner which you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Please also post a review of your Miele in the review section of Mumsnet here.

Thanks,

MNHQ

BiscuitCrumb Sun 20-Apr-14 13:10:36

I'm a non tester but I just want to share that having suffered with asthma since I was 7, the first day I managed to sleep through the night without needing my inhaler was the day we moved into our new home that had a wooden floor in the bedroom. I've now removed the carpet in our living room. We still have carpet in places where I don't linger (if you see what I mean). But I will never have carpet in my bedroom ever again. The other thing I really recommend is vacuuming your mattress often.

BiscuitCrumb Sun 20-Apr-14 13:12:41

Oh and a good vacuum in my opinion has fab suction. So much so, it's hard to push around. I find this very reassuring I know it's sucking up all the crap because it's virtually lifting the floorboards! ;)

I also like it to leave lines on carpets to give that I've just hoovered look! smile

Jinty64 Sun 20-Apr-14 19:53:43

We have wooden flooring in ds's bedroom and are about to put it in the living room. I vacuum his room and damp dust daily. The biggest change, I think, was after getting anti allergy bedding (mattress cover, pillow cover and duvet protector). I used to have to change his bedding daily as he would scratch himself raw and the creams made such a mess but this is much better now.

funnyperson Mon 21-Apr-14 03:29:38

Non tester. I have terrible asthma allergy (hosp admissions) and hate noise and often get back v late from work so a quiet hoover would be v handy.

My top tip is to damp dust window sills and bedside cabinets with a clean damp cloth twice a week and hoover under beds once a week and never never never go near bonfires as the smoke could set you off.

mummy81 Mon 21-Apr-14 14:46:23

Non tester
I have to make sure my husband is not in the house when I empty the cylinder so not to aggravate his dust allergies.

themitch21 Mon 21-Apr-14 16:19:44

Non Tester - I suffer from quite a few allergies myself and I'm yet to come up with any solution other than antihistamines. At this time of year I make sure to take one first thing in the morning and early evening whether I'm planning on going out or not. better to be safe than sorry (and snotty) later.

DurhamDurham Mon 21-Apr-14 20:05:09

Non-tester.

We got rid of carpet in most of our rooms and replaced with wood, laminate or tiles. We mop regularly to keep dust to a minimum.

We damp dust without chemicals to get rid of as much dust as possible.

We open doors and windows everyday for a few minutes (or all day if weather is good) to air the house.

We don't have central heating on too often or too high.

We keep the house as cool and as clean as possible without it impacting upon life...it would all be pointless if we didn't enjoy life!

HeartStarCircleSquare Mon 21-Apr-14 21:07:04

Non-testers:

My DH has allergies and we keep the place well dusted (but we use a wet duster to not spread the dust in the air) and also the vacuum attachments so as again to not spread dust aroun.

My children have skin allergies and for them I only use water wipes and not normal baby wipes and non fragranced all natural baby supplies.

GetKnitted Mon 21-Apr-14 22:17:16

My perfect vacuum cleaner would be able to do the dishes too

CheeryCherry Tue 22-Apr-14 10:08:01

Sadly a non tester!
We have several allergies in this household with dust and pollen being the worst. I wish suction was even better, particularly for pet hair, and I'd love the remote control one...that would be dreamy grin

vixo Tue 22-Apr-14 10:46:17

Non - tester:
My ideal vacuum would have really easily interchangeable bits so that swapping from the main vacuum to the 'crevice tool' (that always makes me laugh!!) is effortless. Basically, I rarely bother, so the main bits of any room are clean, but the edges are decidedly grubby!

vincenta Tue 22-Apr-14 11:27:37

First of all thank you for this fantastic opportunity to test Miele vacuum cleaner! It is brilliant!

Q1. Which Miele vacuum cleaner did you try, the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the S8 Silence Solution? What was your overall impression?

I am lucky to try S8 Silence Solution vacuum cleaner. I am so impressed with this vacuum and not only me,even my hubby(Dyson fan) liked Miele vacuum cleaner and used it for three times already. He even hoovered stairs which I begged him to do ages ago, as for me carry our upright Dyson hoover which is heavy is very uncomfortable. Upholstery brush was great in hoovering stairs. My husband also hoovered his PS3 and PS4 using dusting brush and suction was much stronger than with our old Dyson. Crevice tool was fantastic for all those hard to reach corners and edges(end of carpet and start of wall,where you can find a lot of dust and different kind of crumbles too.It is very convenient that all tools are stored in vacuum cleaner.We have carpets and hard floor in kitchen/living room and Miele S8 was great in vacuuming both. I should add that to clean carpets I required more effort to push the floor head around however it was worth it.
Also I liked that it was easy to manoevre it around our home.
Easily adjustable power was also something good to mention, as it is great that I can change power from strong to not so strong and even vacuum curtains smile I wash them too but option to vacuum curtains really is useful for us and it was so easy. I would never ever even try to do it with upright Dyson.

Q2. How effective did you think the vacuum cleaner was in helping to prevent allergic reactions in the home?

We all have dust allergy and Miele vacuum cleaner made huge difference.Especially for me. I am pregnant and my dust allergy became much worse, I got irritated eyes, I was sneezing and this runny nose was driving me crazy. I tried to vacuum as much as possible but somehow I started to feel that our old Dyson didn't change anything,and to hoover twice a day???? Honestly I feel my self so tired and still sick most of the time. That's why Miele vacuum S8 comes like God sendsmile It really made the huge difference, first time in ages I felt myself so great, it was lovely Easter with no runny nose, stuffed nose or sneezing.My son usually start to cough and mostly it is not from cold but from dust, that's why I try to hoover as much as possible. With Miele S8 my home feels dust free for longer, when you can breath easily.That's why I agree that Miele S8 vacuum cleaner is effective in helping to prevent allergic reactions in my home.
Q3. How quiet or noisy did you find the vacuum cleaner? Would you be happy to vacuum clean while someone in your home was asleep without being afraid of waking them up, or not?

To be honest after our Dyson, Miele vacuum cleaner is so quite!!! At the same time it works great, with powerful, excellent suction. I think I would risk to hoover on low power setting when someone in my household was asleep. AS Miele S8 isn't too loud.However it will depend who would be asleep, army husband wake up from every noise even the quitest one. However to hoover when someone is watching TV will not be problem any more, no complaints,as it is possible to hear TV while Miele S8 hoover is working!
Q4. Would you recommend the Miele vacuum cleaner which you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes,definitely. I already recommended it to my friends and my sister in law who have asthma and was looking for new vacuum cleaner.
My husband was impressed with Miele S8 vacuum cleaner high quality, it looks well made.Price also is reasonable,as usually when you pay little bit more you got much better quality. However I should add that there will be more spending involved as we need to change dust bags.It was very convenient to have Dyson with dust bags, but at the same time, it didn't worked so well as Miele,that's why it is worth to buy dust bags to have dust free homesmile
By the way price for 4 dust bags,1 motor filter, 1 super airclean filter is 10.49 which isn't so expensive.

HopefulHamster Tue 22-Apr-14 11:46:02

Tester

Q1:Which Miele vacuum cleaner did you try, the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the S8 Silence Solution? What was your overall impression?

We tried the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy, which is fantastic as I have allergies and I've got a pre-schooler who's a pretty light sleeper too. 'We' are me (with dust, animal and pollen allergies), and my husband and son who aren't diagnosed but I'm pretty sure my husband is allergic to dust, and my son to pollen and dust (he's 3.5). I was impressed with the look of it – not that it should matter so much but it's sleek and smart, bit like a high-end German car! ;). It's a good size – you could easily fit it in a cupboard. It looks high quality and robust, especially compared to our cheapie vacuum that we picked up in a supermarket.

We put it together quite easily and put it to work - the suction is great. It instantly made our carpet looked cleaner, which again made me realise how bad our vacuum is - oh dear! We used it on carpet, kitchen tile, stairs, dusty sideboards, with different heads, and it performed well on them all. Yes this review is a little bit ott, but it is a £300 vacuum!

Q2: How effective did you think the vacuum cleaner was in helping to prevent allergic reactions in the home?
This may need more time to know for sure, but I didn't sneeze while using it (sometimes just tidying up brings up a load of dust that will set off a reaction). Also our current vacuum is bagless, which seemed like a good idea at the time, but it needs cleaning out every time and it's really hard to empty out without getting dust everywhere or leaving a lot of it inside. This Miele high-tech dustbag seemed like a great idea - my only 'concern' would be how easy it is to get more of them and how much they cost.

We tried it in normal and silent mode. Normal itself is pretty quiet compared to most models. Silent is even better - you could definitely use this with a little one asleep upstairs. Bear in mind we are the kind of pathetic parents who used to tip-toe up the stairs to prevent waking my son!

Q4:Would you recommend the Miele vacuum cleaner which you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?
On the basis of what I've seen so far, I'd definitely recommend it. It's just really good at what it sets out to do, and I think if you're worried about noise or allergies then it's worth the money. Certainly we'll look at budgeting for one, though I don't really want to put up with our current 'old bagless' for much longer smile

Meanderer Tue 22-Apr-14 11:56:05

for generally 'allergic' people - try probiotics to improve immune system balance

Non-tester

DH has a cat allergy and we have a cat (!). We have wooden floors so I tend to vacuum regularly and use the crevice tool to get right into the corners. I also have to regularly vacuum the bed mattress too as this is a real trap for dust and I can tell when it needs doing based on DH's inhaler use.

The very best thing about our very first Dyson was that not only it felt sturdy (unlike our new one that wobbles all over the place) but all the tools attached to the vacuum. I didn't need a bag somewhere with all the bits in, I didn't get to the top of the stairs and realise the tool I want is still in the cupboard downstairs. This is a main requirement when buying further vacuums. I just hate having lots of random things hanging around the under stairs cupboard.

unadulterateddad Tue 22-Apr-14 22:41:23

non tester, alway remember to clean the filters in the vacuum cleaner - build up there can make a big difference.

my perfect vacuum would be quiet, easy to operate with one foot with a cord that consistently goes back into the body of the machine.

stealthsquiggle Tue 22-Apr-14 23:12:08

Non-tester. Allergies - lifelong hay fever for me, which has now gone year-round - spores, dust, who knows what else. DS (11) has gradually worsening hay fever.

Tips: much as I love the smell of line-dried laundry, I dry my bedding and DS's in the tumble drier. We both wear sunglasses at all times when even vaguely sunny. I am a fresh air freak and, in any case, don't find that keeping windows shut makes much difference. A bottle of water by the side of the bed at all times helps to ease the raging throat in the early hours, and good drugs make all the difference.

Assorted contact allergies also shared. I am currently trying to train DS to apply aveeno at the first sign of dryness and not wait until it gets sore enough to mention to me do as I say, not as I do

Carex should be banned from everywhere, as it is from our housesmile . My DM just buys a different variety of it when I mention that it rips my hands to bits (but then she did her level best to ignore all my allergies when I was a child, so I guess I shouldn't be surprised)

Hopezibah Tue 22-Apr-14 23:16:24

My perfect Vacuum cleaner would be light weight and easy to use as i get back pain easily otherwise.

I just want something straightforward that does its job well!

Living with allergies: My son has asthma which can be triggered by a dust allergy for him. Changing his flooring to laminate (from carpet) really helped as does regular vacuuming of his room, curtains and headboard.

maloofysmum Wed 23-Apr-14 10:38:36

Tester: We have the S8 Silence solution

My first impression is how compact it is compared to my current vacuum (Henry) easy to assemble, tools in a handy compartment meaning no rushing around trying to find the right attachment. When I turned it on for the first time, it started on the highest setting which was quite loud, but wow was very powerful, could hardly push the handle/head. Yy ds (8) found it impossible grin. I decided to try it in dd's (12) bedroom, which attracts fluff and dust at an alarming rate for some reason... was very light to carry up the stairs which is a bonus, and not awkward I could easily carry the vacuum and handle/head in one hand. I decided to start with the thick pile carpet setting and see how I got on. The sound level reduced dramatically the lower the setting (and when on the energy-saving setting was very quiet). The Miele was great, lifted the bits of hair (yuk!) easily, and there was some glitter that had fallen out of a folder which cleared easily. The brush goes to the edges well and manoeuvres well also allowing me to get into the corners by the door. It didn't take long about 5 minutes, I didn't go under bed etc. but found the handle when fully extended reached quite far so would be easy to reach under hard to reach places. Did try with the heavily soiled setting as a test and found it very hard to push (would give an excellent work out using it for 20 mins or more!)

I think the vacuum will help quite a bit to reduce allergies in the home. Due to the intense sucking power this beauty will clear dust from most surfaces including mattresses. The curtains/lightweight fabrics setting is perfect for after the windows and doors have been open in the summer, just vacuuming the curtains/voile would help to get rid of the pollen etc as is quite gentle.

The vacuum wasn't as quiet as I thought it would be, especially when on the highest setting. The eco setting though, is very quiet in comparison but the suction is reduced lots so is OK if you just need a quick once over if you have visitors coming or if you've spilled something. I would use on this setting when people are asleep and wish I had it when my children were younger. Also in that setting it wouldn't scare a small child or pet.

I would recommend the Miele S8 Silence Solution to friends and family and will! It's great for all ages, as the handle reduces/increases in size. I will encourage my dd and ds to vacuum more often (but wont hold my breath!). The handle is ergonomic so would suit an arthritic/older persons hands plus as said isn't heavy to carry around. It's great for parents with babies as you can vacuum on the eco setting when they're sleeping - its not silent but much quieter than any vacuum I've used before.

My vacuum was delayed so only got last night (had to liberate from an unknown neighbour as was misaddressed they seemed quite disappointed to let me have it!) Will post more as I use, still haven't used the attachments or tried all settings.

beeelaine Wed 23-Apr-14 14:05:03

Non-Tester.

My son and myself suffer from hayfever (my man is fine), and also our son gets an allergic skin rash which is worse during the hayfever season. My tip is to use half the amount of washing powder in your wash - when i heard this for the first time i thought it wouldnt work as it would not wash out the dirt but it does just as good, if not better job with less detergent, this helps our sons skin a lot - and i shake the dirty washing at the back door to get more dust off before i wash it (esp school uniform it seems to be dust magnet). I change our sons bedding more often to stop build up of skin cells and dust and when i vacuum in there i go round the skirtings with the brush on the vac and do all the nooks and crannies! His rug gets a good thwak on the washing line after ive vacuumed it and its amazing what dust still comes off! When i peg out washing i dont leave any of my sons clothes out for a long time so that the pollen cant settle on it and before i pop it in the cupboard even though it is dry when the pollen is bad i pop in the drier just for 2 mins as i swear the pollen comes off (and maybe it helps not having to iron as much as well)! Dont use paper tissues they just make mounds of dust! My last tip is to get whoever doesnt have any allergies in the house to empty the vacuum - that is my mans job!

KateOxford Wed 23-Apr-14 14:39:13

NON TESTER
I think my vacuum cleaner should come with more attachments for cleaning under the bed, the mattress etc. It would be useful to have a built in battery to charge so that I don't need to unplug it and plug it in, in every room.

Roseformeplease Wed 23-Apr-14 18:31:05

Regular hoovering makes a huge difference, as do the newer allergy bedding types, pillow protectors etc. Also, not allowing things to get started. E.g. We have animal allergies here and, once sneezing, wheezing and scratching has started, it is really difficult to stop. However, staying away from animals or, at the least, being prepared with anti-histamines and so forth, really helps. Prevention is better than cure.

<weeps into coffee at being turned down for yet another test that we would have been perfect for>

EldonAve Wed 23-Apr-14 19:55:10

Non-tester
We have allergies to many things, dust mites included. Imo a vacuum cleaner can't be quiet enough.

Moogdroog Thu 24-Apr-14 17:00:21

Non tester here:
Tips for keeping on top of allergies. Clean clean clean. Rather than dust, user your vacuum for dusting - capture the dust target than spread it around and vacuum add often as you possibly can.

MakkaPakkasSponge Thu 24-Apr-14 21:51:25

Non tester.
Am reading the tips here because nothing really works to reduce my symptoms other than constantly taking antihistamines.
I use top of the range allergy/HEPA filter vacuums but they seem to make it worse for me by stirring things up.
I'm getting rid of some of our carpets soon, I hope it will help (fingers crossed/end of my tether)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now