This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Miele feedback thread. Non-testers: Share your tips on living with allergies or what makes your perfect vacuum cleaner – Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy to be won! NOW CLOSED

(123 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Apr-14 09:41:31

This thread is for the 10 Mumsnetters who tried either the Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the Miele S8 Silence Solution.

Here’s what Miele say, “Build quality and efficiency have always been at the forefront of our vacuum cleaner design, with improving your lifestyle at home as our goal. Our Hyclean dustbags are an important functionality of the Miele vacuum cleaner being the most effective way of keeping dust and dirt from re-entering your home. Each bag is made from a special kind of fleece that gives you nine layers of filtration designed to capture even the smallest of particles and its automatic hygiene shutter ensuring dust and bacteria is not expelled back into the air when you dispose of it, making it perfect for allergy sufferers.

Built with allergy sufferers in mind, the S8 Silence Solution and the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy detailed in this thread both feature our new HEPA 13 filter designed to remove up to 99.999% of particles* from the air making them perfect for all allergy sufferers including dust, pollen and asthma.

With all of these key features combined, the Miele vacuum cleaner system facilitates the capture of the smallest allergens that are not visible to the naked eye, such as bed bugs, dust mite and dust mite faeces that typically cause irritation.

(*according to IEC 60312)”

Non-testers: If you or any of your family have any allergies, what tips do you have to make living with allergies a bit easier, be they inside or outside the home? If you, or any of your family, don’t have any allergies tell us about what would make your perfect vacuum cleaner. What does your vacuum cleaner not do which you think it should? Whatever it is, tell us about it!

Everyone who adds their comments will be entered into a prize draw where one Mumsnetter will win a Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy.

Testers: Thanks for testing out one of the Miele vacuum cleaners. Please answer the questions below to give us your feedback. Of course, feel free to add any other comments you may have as well.

Q1. Which Miele vacuum cleaner did you try, the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the S8 Silence Solution? What was your overall impression?
Q2. How effective did you think the vacuum cleaner was in helping to prevent allergic reactions in the home?
Q3. How quiet or noisy did you find the vacuum cleaner? Would you be happy to vacuum clean while someone in your home was asleep without being afraid of waking them up, or not?
Q4. Would you recommend the Miele vacuum cleaner which you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Please also post a review of your Miele in the review section of Mumsnet here.

Thanks,

MNHQ

sharond101 Thu 17-Apr-14 21:37:19

Non-tester with allergies.

Wear sunglasses all year round. Put some vaseline at both your nostrils to block allergens getting in. Do not hang washing outside. Hoover everywhere, twice. Change bedding weekly. use one a day antihistamine religiously.

Giflo Thu 17-Apr-14 23:06:05

Non Tester,
With my daughter who suffers from eczema, hayfever and allergies, oh why, oh why do they have to come in threes.
Our tips of the day;

Itcy eyes, we have resorted to obtaining a pair of clear precription glasses from a very nice Opticians. A cheap and quicker option would be a pair of sunglasses and as it is apporaching summer, they become a fashion item for those of secondary school age. This option deters, no hinder them from rubbing their eyes and reduces the pollen and irritants that reaches them.

Food allergies,

well food is a personal thing and we have alot of personal things that are not encouraged, tomatoes, peppery food, sweets, cheese, we drink lactose free milk the list goes on and on. It has all helped but like most things a spring clean and minimalization diet would be best, the few and the good seems quite stark to any child, especially a pre-teenie, the battle continues.

Eczema

long sleeves and tights, cleaning with Ecover as even the most kindest of cleaning agent causes a raft of itching all over the body. It is like a battle field on her body, not nice to see or deal with, so we try to be very careful. Lovely doctor has given gloves for her hands, which suffer the most at the moment. We cut the tips off and this make them more managable as she goes about her day.

Yes I have a hoover, and I think it is a good hoover but it lacks some of the options i would like.
Living in a flat means that, yes, we have quite close neighbours and at times I feel very guilty when I hoover at night, never after 11pm but would love not to feel so guilty with a quietier hoover. With greater filteration gathering more of the little critters that seem to evade us .........then invade us.

katiewalters Thu 17-Apr-14 23:09:04

Myself and my 4year old son have asthma. For me mine is affected by cats, dust, feathers, and my sons is dust and pollen. I get rid of dust everywhere in the house, particularly the front room and our bedrooms every other day, I air the rooms each day. I use baby wipes to get rid of dust, with mr sheen spay.

AndHarry Thu 17-Apr-14 23:13:00

Non-tester. I have asthma, hay fever and an allergy to fur/dander. We can't have furry pets but I keep things fun for the DC by ordering caterpillars each year, which turn into butterflies in about a month and going on bug hunts in the garden.

ataraxia Fri 18-Apr-14 06:59:54

Good supply of anti-histamine stored in bedside cabinet

Reastie Fri 18-Apr-14 07:10:29

Non tester here. My tip to dust allergies is to hoover under the bed regularly. It's one of those places that gets forgotten and is an absolute dust trap. Also, blinds instead of curtains (or wash curtains regularly)

My perfect vacuum cleaner would have amazing suction to take everything (apart from the carpet!) out of the carpet. Mine is old and getting a little useless and I'm fed up of going over and over the same bits of carpet seeing it STILL hasn't picked up fluff. It would also be lightweight and go right into the corners/edge of carpet without an attachment.

turkeyboots Fri 18-Apr-14 07:50:02

Non tester. Top allergy tip is to wet dust and vacuum mattresses as often as floors. Avoiding feather bedding really helps too.

BoffinMum Fri 18-Apr-14 07:55:22

Two other tips for pollen allergy:

1. Vaseline smeared over lining of nose.
2. Shower and hair wash when getting home reduces pollen load and makes for a more pleasant evening.

SixImpossible Fri 18-Apr-14 08:13:55

I have yet to find the perfect vac. I loath trailing a cylinder vac around - I find it a hassle getting around furniture etc - yet OTOH uprights are a hassle with stairs and with getting under furniture. I prefer a vac that is not fiddly, so I like Miele's self-winding cords and on-board storage. I once used an upright where the handle was also the nozzle. not like the Dyson, where you have to flip the handle over to use it. with this one you just lifted the handle out of the machine and the nozzle was there, ready fot use. no idea what make it was, though! Noise doesn't particularly bother me.

woodchuck Fri 18-Apr-14 08:45:05

Non tester. I am lucky that my DCs have no allergies, hut Dh is allergic to dust. This means that I get the dusty jobs! I have cats too and am aware that this can also aggravate his allergies so need to keep up e7th vacuuming. I have a decent vac with pet hair attachments which does the job. My ideal vac is bagless and portable, light enough to easily vac the stairs and empty without making a mess

WowOoo Fri 18-Apr-14 09:57:22

Non tester:

When my dh gets hay fever he insists that I keep all of the windows closed. It does seem to help.

I seem to have a mild allergy to cats - I sneeze about 20 times if I'm in a house with one. Simple solution: no cats!

MadMonkeys Fri 18-Apr-14 14:57:53

Non tester - I'd like a vacuum cleaner which cleans right up to the skirting boards instead of having to use attachments.

Madrigals Fri 18-Apr-14 20:29:53

Non- tester - I would like a vacuum cleaner that isn't too heavy. Ours is just very weighty!

Non-tester here.

For allergies, you need a very secure vacuum that doesn't let dust escape. Also I think a bagged system is best, so you can empty it without dust going in your face! But large capacity bags, and where you can clearly tell when they need to be changed would be good. And very good filtering so you don't get dusty smells coming out when you use the machine.

Non-tester here. We really struggle with allergies in our house. Pulling out all the beds and doing a really good vacuum and dust seems to help - for one night at least...

stephgr Sat 19-Apr-14 04:18:10

Non tester. I would love a cleaner which could really get into corners! I always find the bristles get clogged up with hair and I often find that me crouching down with a really stiff carpet brush and dustpan gets carpets cleaner.

flamingtoaster Sat 19-Apr-14 13:59:59

Non-tester. I've always been very sensitive to dustmite, as has DD - possibly a third as DH claims he isn't but coughs and sneezes if in contact with dust. My perfect vacuum cleaner would be light, have superb filtering with no dusty smell - and preferable washable hepa filters. Washable bags or bagless would be fantastic to keep down the running costs.

Tips: when dusting either damp dust or use microfibre cloths which trap the dirt and wash them immediately after each use. If you open windows to air the house be sure to close the windows before the temperature begins to drop as that is when lots of pollen drawn up by the heat of the day comes down in quantity.

Non-tester Having a good vacuum cleaner helps with dust allergens and I try and vacuum as much as possible, at least once a day.

CMOTDibbler Sat 19-Apr-14 21:19:08

Non tester. My ideal vacuum would deal with the copious amounts of cat hair, dog hair, and not get clogged with my hair

Q1. Which Miele vacuum cleaner did you try, the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the S8 Silence Solution? What was your overall impression?

I was sent the S8 Silence Plus Ecoline Allergy. Overall impression of the cleaner is that it is, basically, it is the most impressive vacuum I've used. Its an attractive design, love the fact all the tools are on board, and its very powerful and yet the quietest cleaner I've had. I was waiting for the loud 'jet engine' sound and when it didn't start I was fully expecting a vacuum that sort of wafted around the room that moved the dust about rather than removing it. Then i tried to push it and, with it on the highest setting, discovered that my carpet was actually a completely different colour to what I'd thought!

Q2. How effective did you think the vacuum cleaner was in helping to prevent allergic reactions in the home?

I have used the cleaner now for a couple of days. As I am sensitive to dust and pet hair (I have a cat and friends frequently bring in hair from their cats and dogs) and have noticed a difference when sitting in my living room. My son has a slight sleep apnoea and I have noticed that after vacuuming his bedroom his sleep seems to be more settled. As I say I have only used it for a few days so I will pop back and let you know how its going after a few more.

Q3. How quiet or noisy did you find the vacuum cleaner? Would you be happy to vacuum clean while someone in your home was asleep without being afraid of waking them up, or not?

As I've said the cleaner is the quietest one I've ever used. It does get louder when you are using one of the other tools rather than the main floor cleaner. However I don't think you would be using those tools during a time when people are sleeping. Saying that though it is still quieter than other cleaners. I would be absolutely happy to use the cleaner downstairs while my children were sleeping upstairs and have done so three times now. I would use it upstairs too but maybe not in the same room.

Q4. Would you recommend the Miele vacuum cleaner which you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

I would definitely recommend this cleaner to friends and family and actually already have done! I have several friends with children who are scared of the vacuum and will be recommending this to them as the noise level is low. One of my children has sensitivity to noise and finds certain pitches intolerable. She has wanted to use this cleaner which is a first (and obviously a bonus!)

NicNak71 Sat 19-Apr-14 22:16:50

Non tester - my perfect vacuum cleaner would be one that silently does it all itself while I'm in bed asleep!

Apart from that dream, I want light weight, , very quiet, never loses suction, preferably bagless or with re-useable bags and filters. A cord long enough to reach the whole of my downstairs without having to plug it in elsewhere.

tinypumpkin Sat 19-Apr-14 22:23:04

I was lucky enough to get the S8 Silence Solution. I really like it. It looks fab (pathetic I know) and is small enough to be storable. It works like a dream. It is very powerful and incredibly quiet. I didn't feel that it would be able to achieve both of those things but it does. It is by far the quietest vacuum I have ever had. It has done a great job of cleaning my carpets and picks up much better than my aging dyson. My carpets are much happier! The attachments are easy to access and the vacuum is really easy to use. DD2 particularly likes returning the cord to the vacuum.

I can't say that I have noticed a major difference in terms of actual allergic reactions in all honesty. There is less dust though. Will give it a few more days and pop back again I think.

Super quiet! DD2 actually likes it and she is a fully vacuum hating child. Even buying a toy Henry did not help her hatred of my dyson. This on the other hand is fine. I was able to vacuum around her this morning with no bother. DD3 is not quite so accepting as yet. I did manage to vacuum whilst DD3 ws asleep earlier and she did not wake up. I braved the challenge! I am still amazed each time that I switch it on that it really is as quiet as it is. I keep thinking that the noise will increase but it doesn't. This is a major plus point in our house.

I would recommend it. I think it is powerful and quiet. I also really like the look of it <shallow>. For me, the best thing is the reduced noise. That is because it has been such an issue in our house and vacuuming has been a PITA if the children are around. I am converted smile

Thank you for choosing me.

Non-tester. My perfect vacuum cleaner would be quiet and small, easy to tidy away. It should have a child lock so playful toddlers can't switch it on and off while I'm using it. A retractable hose would be amazing and a simple and clean way to empty bags. Not asking for much!

Willemdefoeismine Sun 20-Apr-14 12:13:12

Non tester - we don't have any allergies so can't answer from that perspective.
The perfect vacuum cleaner would be silent, compact, with extra bits packed within/on it rather than needing to be stored separately. It would also have the ability to compress t the hair/dust/bits so that the vacuum cleaner didn't need to be emptied so frequently - big bugbear in this house!

acsec Sun 20-Apr-14 12:47:39

Going to try mine tomorrow, haven't had a chance yet as had new carpet and flooring fitted on Thursday then been out all weekend!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now