This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Miele feedback thread. Non-testers: Share your tips on living with allergies or what makes your perfect vacuum cleaner – Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy to be won! NOW CLOSED

(123 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 17-Apr-14 09:41:31

This thread is for the 10 Mumsnetters who tried either the Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the Miele S8 Silence Solution.

Here’s what Miele say, “Build quality and efficiency have always been at the forefront of our vacuum cleaner design, with improving your lifestyle at home as our goal. Our Hyclean dustbags are an important functionality of the Miele vacuum cleaner being the most effective way of keeping dust and dirt from re-entering your home. Each bag is made from a special kind of fleece that gives you nine layers of filtration designed to capture even the smallest of particles and its automatic hygiene shutter ensuring dust and bacteria is not expelled back into the air when you dispose of it, making it perfect for allergy sufferers.

Built with allergy sufferers in mind, the S8 Silence Solution and the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy detailed in this thread both feature our new HEPA 13 filter designed to remove up to 99.999% of particles* from the air making them perfect for all allergy sufferers including dust, pollen and asthma.

With all of these key features combined, the Miele vacuum cleaner system facilitates the capture of the smallest allergens that are not visible to the naked eye, such as bed bugs, dust mite and dust mite faeces that typically cause irritation.

(*according to IEC 60312)”

Non-testers: If you or any of your family have any allergies, what tips do you have to make living with allergies a bit easier, be they inside or outside the home? If you, or any of your family, don’t have any allergies tell us about what would make your perfect vacuum cleaner. What does your vacuum cleaner not do which you think it should? Whatever it is, tell us about it!

Everyone who adds their comments will be entered into a prize draw where one Mumsnetter will win a Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy.

Testers: Thanks for testing out one of the Miele vacuum cleaners. Please answer the questions below to give us your feedback. Of course, feel free to add any other comments you may have as well.

Q1. Which Miele vacuum cleaner did you try, the S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy or the S8 Silence Solution? What was your overall impression?
Q2. How effective did you think the vacuum cleaner was in helping to prevent allergic reactions in the home?
Q3. How quiet or noisy did you find the vacuum cleaner? Would you be happy to vacuum clean while someone in your home was asleep without being afraid of waking them up, or not?
Q4. Would you recommend the Miele vacuum cleaner which you tried to friends or family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Please also post a review of your Miele in the review section of Mumsnet here.

Thanks,

MNHQ

Thank you so much!!!!!! perfect timing as well, our vacuum has had it so this has truly made my day. Thank you!!! :D

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 16-May-14 15:01:38

Thanks to all the testers who posted their feedback and to all the non-testers who also posted their thoughts on this thread, this thread has now closed. Congratulations to MummyBtothree who won the prize draw for a Miele S8 Silence Plus EcoLine Allergy!

wifeymerrick Thu 15-May-14 17:29:21

1) The Miele Silence Plus. 2)Totally love this vacumn, I'm a hayfever sufferer and my son has asthma....we have both felt a huge dust difference in the house and on bedding 3) have vacuumed when husband and son are asleep no hassle at all, however the suction on silent isn't as good but still does an ok job. 4) would and have recommended this to others it's been a fabulous household appliance thank you !!

ataraxia Wed 14-May-14 06:50:24

non-tester - allergies: always have antihistamine on the bedside cabinet, and sunglasses in the summer

Bingbongbinglybunglyboo Tue 13-May-14 14:45:59

Non tester, no allergys,

I have a Henry Hoover that I love, but wish it didn't take up so much space when not in use, also annoying it has bags but had a bag less one and hated cleaning it out.

RhinosAreFatUnicorns Mon 12-May-14 20:37:57

Non-tester

We have hay fever sufferers, so always check the weather the evening/week before, and take anti histamines as necessary. If it's particularly bad, we close windows.

As for the perfect vacuum cleaner? Quiet, works as effectively on my long tuft rugs and wooden floor as it does on my carpet. Picks up all the hair that my moulting Labrador sheds, has the necessary attachments to pick up aforementioned dog hair from down sofa cushions, is light enough to vacuum stairs effectively. And to be really perfect? Do all this without me having to grin

vincenta Mon 12-May-14 10:46:17

Tester.
Just wanted to add that more we use our Miele vacuum cleaner more we are in love with it. Fantastic, quit and powerful performance, so easy to do vacuuming, even hubby started to vacuum more.Really pleasure to do house chores and there are no dust flying around while I vacuum. Very pleased!

joolsb16 Sat 10-May-14 12:19:41

I have a daughter with asthma. The best thing we did was remove the carpets from the lounge and her bedroom. You do still get a lot of dust with wooden floors but when you have swept or hoovered you know that it is gone. It has made a big difference. I do still have carpets in the house so a decent vaccum cleaner would be great.

boptanana Wed 07-May-14 23:47:44

Non tester
Perfect vacuum would be lightweight, powerful and pick up dog hairs from edges/ corners properly. Would also filter tiny toys/Lego people/hair bands into a separate section wink. Quiet would be a bonus and unlike my Henry not easily controlled by a 1 year old leading to very frustrating stop start vacuuming sessions whilst she explores cause and effect!

museumworker Wed 07-May-14 20:06:15

Non tester here smile

The other half has an allergy to pet hair - we just don't have pets! When we're staying at people's houses who have pets he takes an anti-histamine and tries not to sneeze too much!

My perfect vacuum cleaner would do the vacuuming for me! Failing that, it would be super-light, so that I could lift it a lot easier (especially when pregnant like I am now). It would roll up and down the stairs by itself, rather than me having to balance it against myself to stop it tumbling over.

Wjjkl Wed 07-May-14 13:47:05

Non tester

I have a Miele pet vacuum - it's great, but my perfect vac would be a bit more furniture friendly - I'm forever bumping into furniture with it & worry about damaging things - rubber bumpers or something similar to help protect from bashes would be great

hareinthemoon Mon 05-May-14 18:59:11

Non-tester

My ideal vacuum cleaner would be one that was so much fun to use the kids would volunteer to do their rooms.

Failing that, one that had a flip-top end so that you could easily make it tiny to get into corners and then flip the big head back on.

1intheoven Mon 05-May-14 11:48:32

Hi, I'm a non-tester. We have some hayfever allergies in our household. We make sure that we always stock up on local honey. It seems to work at least a little. Other than that it's the one a day antihistamines.
My ideal vacuum would be:
Light (carrying our one upstairs is a nightmare when pregnant).
Easily transition between hard floors and carpets.
Not too noisy so I can hear the baby monitor.
Easily tranfer to nozzle for cobwebs etc.
Pretty long lead for going between rooms and hoovering the stairs etc.
Could use in the car so it would need to have attachments for the wee nooks and crannys.
Bags would need to be easy to get hold of and replace.

kelandab Sun 04-May-14 09:29:23

I'm a non- tester

Three out of four of us have allergies to pollen, dust & pet hair. The best way to control it is by having less soft furnishings & surfaces that collect dust & pollen. We have wood floors, blinds & everything if kept away in boxes & cupboards to make it easier to dust everything.

lottietiger Sat 03-May-14 23:11:54

Non tester
I have hay fever and generally I'm sneezing at some sort of pollen.
Ideal vacuum ..something with a good pollen filter, quiet enough to vacuum when ds is in bed, light to carry around, very long lead oh and never needs emptying!

amistillsexy Sat 03-May-14 22:34:35

Non-tester here. My Dh and Ds2 both suffer from bad eczema. I try to keep on top of the dust by vacuuming really well: I move the furniture every week, and vacuum underneath and into the corners of rooms. I also dust with a wet cloth so I don't simply sweep it into the air.

SixImpossible Sat 03-May-14 07:50:39

Crewella, your problem is caused by static electricity making the dust fly up and cling to the container. You need to wipe down the outside of the dust container with a damp cloth immediately before you empty it.

mimidl Thu 01-May-14 15:52:21

Non-tester

I would say my best advice is to always have anti-histamines at hand and if you know you are going somewhere that may trigger your allergies, take the anti-histamine about 20-30 minutes before arriving.

Wednesbury Thu 01-May-14 13:44:41

Non tester: I basically don't like bagless cleaners. The fact that you have to somehow extract all the dust by hand once it needs emptying seems to remove the point? It's clouding all round the house and you are breathing in all the stuff you were vacuuming up. I have to open mine up an pull fluff off the filter nearly every time I use it as the dust wraps around the central filter, thus reducing the suction to nearly useless. Then I have to wash and dry the filters probably about every 2 weeks.

A cleaner with an attachment that can vigorously vacuum the stairs and is easy to manouevre up/down them would be good. Mine (a VAX) has loads of attachments but none of them really do the stairs well. I end up trying to drag a heavy cleaner halfway up, twist the attachments upside down to do the upright bits ... it's all a bit of a faff.

Also, either a cleaner where all the tools sit on it sensibly without being unwieldy, or comes with some sort of storing box to put them in (mine currently sit in a cardboard wine box).

Allergies/dust management: vacuum regularly, and damp dust. Don't clutter up surfaces with things that make it difficult to dust.

solastyear Thu 01-May-14 12:42:54

Non tester. Perfect vacuum cleaner would be light - easy to carry upstairs with great suction to get up all dust and fluff etc. My vacuum cleaner (Dyson DC50) is great because it is so light and easy to push around but the hose is just not long enough. It only manages to stretch to about 4 steps and will not reach the high ceilings like the old Dyson DC04. Also it is quite flimsy - does not feel as sturdy as old Dyson.

thesoupdragon44 Thu 01-May-14 11:00:59

I am luck that we don't have any allergy's although my OH has hay fever sometime quite bad, I do try to keep the dust down, but sometimes find this difficult. Keeping windows closed during dawn and dusk helps keep the pollen down too.

HopefulHamster Wed 30-Apr-14 22:48:12

The other day I vacuumed downstairs with the Miele and was impressed as before. Then I did the upstairs with our old Samsung model just because it was there - it felt like using a toy vacuum in comparison! There's just no power in it.

tinypumpkin Wed 30-Apr-14 22:08:50

i agree with all you have said Bankholidaybaby re the cleaner (save the bit about the cleaner as we don't have one)! It really is so quiet and I love it.

I have just sorted the 10 yr guarantee so that says something about the fact that I do love it. I thought that £50 for 10 years was very reasonable too.

I agree that buying bags is a pain but that is probably because I have been spoilt with a Dyson. Although, my Dyson does not work in any way as well as it used to. Miele claim that the vacuums should work as well in 10 years time as they do know. We will have to wait and see...

Still very happy with it smile

hunhun007 Wed 30-Apr-14 21:22:44

Non-tester
I didn't find my perfect vacuum cleaner as yet. Currently I use Henry but I am not 100% happy with it - it has a great suction but with 4 pets it does struggle with per hairs at times.
We have a child with allergies. We use purifier and try to keep house more clean that usually. We also air the bedding at least once a week (weather permitted) and try to pick a day with stronger wind. It helps a lot with a sleeping routine.

Bankholidaybaby Wed 30-Apr-14 18:51:28

Tester update:

Our cleaner came round yesterday and used the S8 Silence Solution. I was in the next room feeding my son, not aware of exactly what she was doing, and it was so quiet I honestly thought it was a light rain shower.

I showed my mum when she came over at the weekend, and we stood it next to my Dyson and we both thought the design and quality of materials of the Miele model put the Dyson to shame. It'll be a pain getting bags for it, but I think it's worth it for the difference it's made to the dust and the colour of my rugs!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now