This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

RapidHair Hair Volumising Formula feedback thread: testers share your opinion! NOW CLOSED

(144 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Tue 04-Mar-14 12:16:51

This is the feedback for the 50 MNers who were selected to try the new RapidHair Hair Volumising Formula over the course of 60 days. Selected testers have received one bottle of RapidHair™ to be tested over the course of 60 days (to be applied every night before bed).

RapidHair say "this is the must-have product of 2014! - It's a scientific breakthrough in the hair care category for women - a safe and effective treatment that targets hair at the root of the concern!

RapidHair™ delivers a balanced mix of moisturising and conditioning elements to properly benefit the hair and scalp. The proprietary exclusive Hexatein® 4 Complex comprises of six amazingly effective ingredients that help revive the appearance of hair.

RapidHair™ (RRP £69.99) is designed to bring revitalising nourishment to hair weakened by stress, diet, ageing or everyday hair care regimen – styling, colouring, straightening and other treatments that strip hair of its essential moisture".

Testers - please be prepared to add feedback at least three times over the course of the next 60 days or so.

We'd like to know your first impressions and hair history, then we will post questions mid-way through the 60 days to see how you're getting on and then we'll post some questions at the end of the period to see how you've got on.

so, first impressions - please answer the following questions now.

~ What is your hair type? (thin, fine, course, wavy, straight etc.)
~ What is your hair style? (short, medium, long, coloured, highlighted etc.)
~ Does your hair appear to have got thinner in the last 5-10 years? What life events have affected your hair and how?
~ Do you regularly use heat styling products (e.g. dryers, curling tongs, straighteners etc.)
~ Have you previously tried any other Rapid products? (RapidLash, RapidBrow, RapidShield)
~ What was your overall first impression of the RapidHair product?

Now you have been using RapidHair for a few weeks - please let us know...

~ How easy are you finding RapidHair to use? (eg ease of following the instructions, how it is to actually apply)
~ Have you started seeing results from using RapidHair?

Last lot of questions - testers please share your thoughts on the below:

~ What are the key improvements you have seen from using RapidHair?
~ Were the results as you’d expected?
~ If it came up in conversation, do you think you'd recommend RapidHair to a friend?
~ Has anyone noticed any change in your hair?

Everyone who adds feedback as required will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a a beauty hamper containing RapidLash®, RapidBrow® and RapidShield™ products - worth £150!

thanks

MNHQ

What is your hair type? (thin, fine, course, wavy, straight etc.)

* Straight and fine, with a slight wave. Over the years, as it has become thinner and more brittle, I can now 'scrunch' in a wave as it dries.

What is your hair style? (short, medium, long, coloured, highlighted etc.)

* Shoulder length, semi-permanent salon-coloured (every 5-6 weeks) with a central parting and a fringe. Almost completely white/grey under the colour [hmm[

Does your hair appear to have got thinner in the last 5-10 years? What life events have affected your hair and how?

* My hair used to be very thick - since the menopause a huge amount seems to have fallen out. It is also very brittle and dry. For the last 6 months I've had to use intensive moisturising products, including a 'repair masque' which I now use daily as a conditioner, otherwise I can't even get a wide-toothed afro-comb through it without breaking and pulling out vast quantities of hair.

Do you regularly use heat styling products (e.g. dryers, curling tongs, straighteners etc.)

*No. I very occasionally blow dry my hair upside down to add volume.

Have you previously tried any other Rapid products? (RapidLash, RapidBrow, RapidShield)

*No

What was your overall first impression of the RapidHair product?

*I will start using it this evening. Not sure there will be enough to last 60 days.

sharond101 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:08:42

Fine hair with a random natural curl which never sits right so is straightened.
I just got it cut into a chin length bob. It's brown.
~ Does your hair appear to have got thinner in the last 5-10 years?
Lots fell out after I had my Son in 2012. All the females on my Mothers side hair thinned in their 30s, mine started early in my 20s.
~What life events have affected your hair and how?
I have a health condition which has taken it's toll on my hair. It has thinned it and it regulary appears dry, dull and damaged.
~ Do you regularly use heat styling products (e.g. dryers, curling tongs, straighteners etc.)
I wash my hair every other day then blow dry it. I try to use straightners only every other day.
~ Have you previously tried any other Rapid products? (RapidLash, RapidBrow, RapidShield)
I haven't no.
I was shocked at how small the box was. I thought the packaging looked quite cheap really. I would expect to have bought it in Savers or Semi Chem. I like the colours though, I love purple.
I expected a small droplet of liquid and was surprised it was a mousse. I couldn't smell anything from it and was really surprised it just melted into my scalp without greasiness or moisture. My hair seemed unaffected the next morning too, not flat into my head as I expected.

Lilliana Wed 05-Mar-14 20:37:39

Dry and wavy/frizzy.

Shoulder length but trying to grow it out.

~ Does your hair appear to have got thinner in the last 5-10 years? What life events have affected your hair and how?
Having a baby! Did have thick hair when I was younger but it has been getting thinner and then lost lots after having my dd. It now has some lovely frizzy regrowth sad

I used to but again haven't had much time recently so less so. Do run the straighteners through it on the 2 days a week I go to work.

No

Like others it seems a very small bottle for �70. Not something I would buy for myself as too expensive. I could have done with a few more instructions, particularly to make it clear it is not supposed to cover all the length of hair (so how does it improve the hair already grown?!?!) so that you use the same amount no matter how long your hair. I don't use many hair care products so maybe this is me being a bit thick! It goes on ok and doesn't smell bad or leave much residue. I'm looking forward to seeing some amazing results!

KateOxford Wed 05-Mar-14 20:39:17

My hair is thin and wavy
My hair is just above my shoulders
I lost a lot of hair after the birth of my second child.
I use a hair dryer everyday and pretty much everyday I use straighteners
No
The pump is easy to use, the product goes on nicely and is not sticky or greasy, it is unperformed. I like it and after 5 days my hair is feeling nice - perhaps coincidence with dry weather but I look forward to seeing what difference it makes over the test period.

Koe44 Wed 05-Mar-14 20:56:50

My hair is very thick, wavy (not in a nice way), needs to be straightened or curled every day.
Longish - below shoulder, coloured and highlighted every 6 weeks.
My hair hasn't got thiner, but it isn't in good condition, it doesn't grow any longer than the length it is now and hasn't for 18 months. My hairdresser has commented it's getting shorter without us cutting it.
I use hair dryer, and straightener or curlers every day.
No havnt tried any.
Small product for the cost. Also I was a little confused by the instructions at first, subsequent info on Mumsnet has clarified. Product went on well and hasn't left any residue or made my hair greasy.

waitingforgodot Thu 06-Mar-14 20:41:11

My hair is naturally corkscrew curls but years of ghd abuse and colouring have turned it into a frizzball
Long past my shoulders, coloured and highlights
Yes my hair used to be really thick and full when I was younger but now looks thinner
I try and let my hair dry 90% then babyliss big hair and ghds
I actually forgot I had rapidlash until I signed up to this so have been using that nightly on my lashes too
I am a sucker for the latest craze so if enough people told me this works, I would probably have bought it. There is no way that 2 squirts of this product is going to cover my whole scalp. So far I have been massaging the product into my centre parting. Top of my head seems to be less frizzy. I do expect to wake up with Diana Ross hair though each morning and it's not happened yet. Maybe on day 60?

LackaDAISYcal Thu 06-Mar-14 21:44:06

Fine, flyaway, straight, butwith an unruly kink that drives me bonkers.

short bob that's all one length. It need restyling though so it's a bit meh at the minute.

Yes, it definitely feels thinner and it's much much more brittle than ever before; I have lots of little short sections at the parting and hair line. Life events? 3 children. Coeliac disease affecting my mineral and vitamin absorption. Lupus, lose hair in clumops and suffer from a horrible rash over my scalp periodically which makes even more hair fall out.

Use a dryer three or four times a week. straighteners or tongs if I'm going out, so very rarely.

No

£70 for that!!!! really? hmm <wonders if the bottle is made of platinum>
Oh, it's a thin foam; I was expecting a serum; this feels too thin and insipid
2 pumps to cover my whole scalp. Really? hmm
Strange smell. Not unpleasant, but for £70 I'd have expected something much a more lush smelling product.
Very sparse instructions.

CelticJuggler Fri 07-Mar-14 10:43:02

Fine hair going sparse at the top; usually wavy but going very frizzy now.
Shortish bob with lowlights for warmth
Yes definitely - having my son has really caused my hair to thin, and I now have non-anaemic iron deficiency which has exacerbated the issue.
I use a hair dryer on a low heat setting with straightners if I'm drying my hair straight; if I'm going wavy then I just wash and leave with product in to counteract the frizz.
No, this is my first Rapid product.
I was surprised at the size of the bottle - it says it's for 60 days, but if I wasn't just targeting a specific area (top of head) then I think I'd struggle to make the bottle last. The instructions for the product are very unhelpful, but the help from Mumsnet sorted this out.
The smell isn't very pleasant, but as I'm using it at night it isn't an issue.
Cost (if it works!) would definitely be an issue!
Also, it actually appears to be making the issue worse - although this could equally be due to external factors!

My hair is fine, and often flyaway. It's straight - ridiculously so - and I struggle to get any body in it. It looks like I've over-straightened it...when in fact I've done nothing else but brush it!

Length - just past my shoulders. In dire need of a cut. Over-coloured - I've been dyeing it red for over 15 years and I don't think this has helped the condition.

Yes - since having my two children it has noticeably thinned and it's more frizzy on top. It's lost its shine.

I try not to (and don't have the time anyway) but I do occasionally use a rapidcurl to try to achieve more body.

No, I'd never heard of them before this trial.

When I opened the envelope I laughed! I couldn't believe how small the bottle was, or that I would ever get 60 days of use out of it. Nothing about it looked impressive at all - the packaging was simple and dull, and the instructions are very, very minimal - to the point of being quite useless. It says nothing about how to apply it other than "massage into scalp" and to use two squirts which has left quite a lot of confusion on the sign-up thread.
When I put it on, however, I was impressed that it didn't leave my hair greasy. I like the very subtle smell of it. The two squirts doesn't go a long way though, and I definitely can't cover my scalp with it.
My hair does seem to have more bounce and shine when I've used it - but not sure if a lot of that comes from me tipping my head upside down to try to spread the product over my scalp.
I did wonder if the minimal packaging design is to say more about the product - that rather than it being a luxury item it is almost medical. There's no gloss or endorsements on the package like you would see on "professional" on the shelf products - and I wouldn't have looked twice at it if it was in shops - which suggests it's more of a product that has to come with a recommendation from someone else.

LackaDAISYcal Fri 07-Mar-14 11:55:30

I had a small clump of my hair come out this morning shock
Not sure what to make of that, but not entirely convinced I should continue with the trial confused

magentastardust Fri 07-Mar-14 11:59:50

My hair is wavy and quite course/frizzy. People would probably say I have thick hair , I certainly do have a lot of it but it has thinned out a lot over the last while and I can definitely see and feel a difference.

My hair is long and past my shoulders, I normally wear it down and run the straighteners through it to groom the frizz and create waves. It is coloured to cover greys , which started appearing about 5 years ago . I get it coloured with permanent colour at the hairdressers every 5-6 weeks .

Yes I feel it has. I have had 3 babies in the last 10 years and I noticed thinning after giving birth each time. Also I have an underactive thyroid which is managed by medication but whilst we tried to find the right levels just after diagnoses , I did lose hair and it thinned.

Afraid so. My hair is wavy/kinky/frizzy and I just don't look groomed if it is left naturally. I try not to blow dry it very often but I do run straightners or tongs through it to creats waves or curls the ends and give it a more finished look.

No I never have , but would be quite interested in the Rapidlash product -if it was suitable for contact lense wearers?

Again , I was surprised at the size of the bottle and for the £70 price tag. Also seemed to be little instructions.
I also not sure the box and labels had the look of a 'high end' product. I think if you are charging £70 people want to feel that they are using something exclusive or a bit luxurious.
I do have a lot of hair and 2 pumps just doesn't feel like it is right and that it is enough for covering my whole head.
The smell is nice though and it isn't greasy or unpleasant to apply.

rupert23 Fri 07-Mar-14 19:57:20

What is your hair type?
my hair is highlighted and is very fine
~ What is your hair style?
my hair is shoulder length and highlighted which makes it quite dry and dull
my hair has definately thinned since i have had my five children and i have an underactive thyroid which they say makes your hair thinner and i have noticed this.
i dont use much just hairdryer
i have never tried any other products as they are quite expensive and my budget is tight.
the packaging is ok but it does not look very appealing really. The product went on ok but seems a small ammount for your whole head. it does not smell or leave any residue so that is ok. i hope it works

1gglePiggle Fri 07-Mar-14 21:51:12

My hair type is fairly fine with a natural wave/kinks in it.
It was highlighted but have recently been using boxed blonde colours which have dried my hair out considerably in combination with daily straightening.
Hair does seem thinner lately, not sure if down to pregnancy or damage.
I wash and blow dry my hair everyday. I also straighten it every day or it looks awful.
I haven't used any Rapid products previously but was very tempted by Rapidlash - just the price deterred me.
First impression was the product was quite small for the price, the packaging is plastic and quite cheap looking. I've used it once so far last night, used the 2 pumps as instructed. Found it quite difficult to spread onto scalp as obviously hair is in the way. 2 pumps only covered a small section of my head so not sure if this is quite right. Also because I was my hair every morning I'm wondering if I'm washing the product out so I won't benefit enough. Will overnight be enough for it to work?

1gglePiggle Fri 07-Mar-14 21:56:14

Forgot to say, hair is a short graduated bob

My hair type is very fine and flyaway. I lose quite a lot of hair, but it grows back quite rapidly, so I permanently have a halo of new hair around my crown. A hairdresser has described it as baby hair previously.
Style-wise, it's just below shoulder length and coloured.

It has definitely gotten thinner over the last few years. I think a combination of two pregnancies in very quick succession, emigrating and some quite stressful years with money worries have taken their toll on it.

I straighten my hair 2/3 times a week. I used to do it every day, but stopped as the condition of my hair got worse.

I have never used any Rapid products before, although I have read some good things about RapidLash on here.

First impressions : it's tiny! I expected the bottle to be quite a bit more substantial than it actually is. It feels so light too, almost as though it's empty and before I dispensed, I was sceptical that it would provide two months worth of product.
Once I pumped the RapidHair, it was very light, so I was reassured that it would last for the full 60 days. It was also very light - the foam seemed quite like hair mousse so I worried it might leave my hair a bit sticky with a residue but it didn't at all. It's early days to see a result yet, but having read good reviews of RapidLash I'm excited to see what happens.

One week in now.

I washed my hair with sea salt shampoo this evening and noticed that I've got more body/shine to it - or so I think. Going to see what my mum thinks next weekend for an honest answer.

Question for rapidhair - is the product meant to be a "one time" treatment that then lasts for an amount of time, or is it the sort of product where we would be stuck in a cycle of having to buy a new bottle every 60 days to keep the effects maintained?

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 09-Mar-14 00:55:35

Op mimsy what's the shampoo called? Read review of new elvive thickening stuff today, very good.
I've not noticed any difference so far.

CelticJuggler Sun 09-Mar-14 17:22:09

I've had to give up.

I've started losing clumps of hair where I've been applying the foam; it's coming out in only the area I've been specifically targeting.

Nothing else has changed, so I can only conclude it's the foam.

To say I'm unimpressed is an understatement. I look much worse now than I did before; I was thinning yes, but now I can see scalp through the hair. Thank god for a sympathetic hairdresser. angry

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Sun 09-Mar-14 20:16:59

I'm at a bit of a loss to know what is supposed to happen, is it supposed to thicken your hair or stimulate new growth? I'm getting spots on my scalp too.

Funnyfoot Sun 09-Mar-14 20:41:33

What is your hair type? (thin, fine, course, wavy, straight etc.)

Straight

Long

Yes it has lost its natural volume. I think having children has affected my hair. When pregnant and for a while afterwards it would come out in huge amounts.

Hair dryer and hair straighteners every other day.*

No

So far my hair does appear to be a bit thicker at the roots. It is not a greasy product and does not leave a residue so far so good.

ohwhatfuckery - I've been using the bumble & bumble salt stuff. It's lovely but bloody expensive though cheap compared to rapidhair

I'm shocked at the people with the dreadful side effects. I don't remember any warnings on the box/instructions - can you report your posts to AnnMN and see if you can let Rapidhair know?

kissmyheathenass Sun 09-Mar-14 21:52:47

Hair type - fine with a slight wave

Style - shoulder length messy bob. Coloured to cover grey roots

Does your hair appear to have got thinner in last 5-10 years? - Yes, definitely since having children. My hairline appears to have receded a bit too sad.

Have you tried any other Rapid products? No

What was your overall first impression? Lovely smell, not greasy. Very light.

magentastardust Sun 09-Mar-14 22:23:29

Okay I am a bit scared at people losing their hair -I already have thinning /weak hair don't want to risk making it worse!!

CelticJuggler Mon 10-Mar-14 06:39:15

Well, I've now not used it for 2-3 nights and the hair drop out has stopped.

There is nothing on the packaging to indicate this might happen.

Really very cross.

Ohwhatfuckeryisthis Mon 10-Mar-14 12:42:22

Cheers mimsy, I will have to hide it as anything is fair game in our bathroom.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now