Please note: This topic is for your comments and feedback on Product Tests being run by Mumsnet. It is not the place to post (or ask for) comments on other products. If you do this, your comments may be deleted. If you'd like to run your own product test, please email insight@mumsnet.com. If you are an entrepreneur or start-up and would like to ask for some feedback, please visit our media requests topic.

PruHealth Vitality Experience - month 2 feedback thread with WEEKLY £50 prize for non participants.....NOW CLOSED

(190 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread. Read here.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Feb-14 14:34:35

It's now month 2 of the PruHealth Vitality Experience for our 8 lucky participants: see their feedback from month 1 here.

PruHealth say "We believe the more you look after yourself, the healthier you feel. That's why we offer our customers Vitality when they buy our health insurance. Vitality is the world's largest incentive-based wellness programme and can make getting and staying healthy both easier and cheaper, but also reward you for all of your hard work!"

For the next 4 weeks the programme looks like this:

Week 5 - Half-Term & Half-Time - Check in with your personal trainer for a free 1hr session to boost your gym routine.

Week 6 - Discounts Dispensed - Get £25 worth of vouchers to test drive our up to 50% cashback at Lloyds Pharmacy benefit.

Week 7 - Choose Your Reward - Take your pick between discounts to Merlin attractions, National Trust parks or travel with Eurostar, Mark Warner or Mr & Mrs Smith getaways.

Week 8 - Wrap Up - Finish the Vitality Experience with a day of pampering at Champney's spa.

Week 5:Non participants: for chance to win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card please share on this thread what you'd do with a personal trainer for an hour keep it clean! - would you ask to concentrate on your abs, arms, legs, all over fitness or another area? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card - prize draw Monday 24 Feb at 9am. NOW CLOSED
Week 5: Participants - please share how you got on with your Personal Trainer. Have you used one before? Was it was you expected? What did you do? What goals or targets/ suggestions did they have for you going forward and how did you feel the next day!? grin

Week 6 (w/c 24 Feb) is all about showcasing one of the discount partners that PruHealth with Vitality has teamed up with - LloydsPharmacy. PruHealth say "our members can get cashback with Vitality on everyday essentials like health and beauty products, toiletries, fragrances and more whether they shop online or in-store with a LloydsPharmacy Vitality card."

Our participants received £25 worth of vouchers to spend at LloydsPharmacy to test drive the up-to-50% cashback benefit.

Non participants - for chance to win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card please share on this thread what your best beauty or health related treat is for less than £25 - what would you buy? Some lipsticks, a luscious bubble bath or some luxury body lotion? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card - prize draw Monday 3 March at 9am. NOW CLOSED.

Participants - please share on this thread what you bought with the vouchers - did you treat yourself or buy something more practical for the family? What do you think about this PruHealth with Vitality benefit?

Week 7 is also all about the rewards available to PruHealth with Vitality members - this time our testers are able to choose their reward from a few of the key Vitality partners who are working with PruHealth: Merlin attractions, National Trust parks or travel with Eurostar, Mark Warner or Mr & Mrs Smith getaways.

PruHealth say "We offer rewards to help motivate our members to improve their health and to recognise the hard work they're putting in. We're pleased to team up with a variety of travel, health and entertainment companies to offer members a great range of discounts and special offers."

Non participants - for a chance to win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card please share on this thread what would motivate you to make small steps to improve your health and general well-being? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £50 Nectar card. Prize draw Monday 10 March 9am NOW CLOSED.

Participants: please share on this thread what reward you picked and why. When do you think you'll use it? Do you think this reward would help motivate you to earn more Vitality points (and therefore access to even bigger discounts and rewards)? What other partners would you like to see on the Vitality list?

thanks
MNHQ

smallinthesmoke Thu 20-Feb-14 14:00:50

Just staggered out of my personal training session. It was a revelation. A revelation about how utterly decrepit my body is. I struggle to do the most basic things, like getting up from sitting on a low bench without using my arms. I find squats astonishingly difficult. I have zero coordination, for example throwing a medicine ball while doing sit ups. And I fell off the wobbly ball Bolu thingy onto my arse, slapstick style. <bugger>
The trainer also found that even though my BMI is fine, my body percentage fat is not good. I was disappointed as I have lost weight in the last month with regular swimming, walking etc and have good cholesterol levels measured from the bloodprick test. Hidden fat apparently <worries>
The solution apparently is a better diet (the trainer's 3 yr old DS loves kale smoothies shock), me pulling my finger out exercise- wise and ... a course of personal training at £51 a pop. It has worked wonders for similar basketcases mothers who have not prioritised their health sufficiently. We can't afford that so the trainer was lovely and wrote down the exercises for me to do on my own or with DH (who is a fitness fanatic and has all the gear). She thought if I applied myself I could rectify the situation pretty quickly. Even though she was lovely and v encouraging and kind, I actually thought I might cry in the session, it was so far out of my comfort zone.
It is so easy to neglect your health and fitness; this Pru Health product test has served as a right wake up call for me.
I won't tell you what she said about my diet... put it this way, yesterday I had a scone for breakfast, pasta for lunch, a mars bar for tea and lasagne for dinner. blush blush blush I really need to sort it out!

poopoopoo Thu 20-Feb-14 17:14:05

If I had a personal trainer for an hour I would ask them to baby sit the kids in the pool, while I sat in the Sauna and relaxed. Then they would get a good work out! grin

elizadofuckall Thu 20-Feb-14 18:35:26

Non tester.

I would ask where the hell to start now that my body is failing me and the meds are trying to kill me confused

MrsLoada Thu 20-Feb-14 18:42:39

Non tester : If I had an hour with a PT I would ask for a full body Pilates work out to help with core strength, flexibility and toning

HannahLI Thu 20-Feb-14 19:33:57

I would love an hour with a personal trainer and I think I would concentrate on my core strength - working those abs and getting that into tip top shape first as thats where I am most lacking. I would also try and gleam as much of what I am being told so that I can re-create it again in my own time and really see the benefit.

lisad123everybodydancenow Thu 20-Feb-14 20:00:12

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

Willemdefoeismine Thu 20-Feb-14 21:18:35

Yikes, Smallinthesmoke, your PT sounds a lot tougher than mine (he was obviously a pussycat). No disapproving comments on my diet and certainly no mention of curly kale smoothies (I like kale but in a moothie....yuk!).....I challenge any child to like such a thing, even my DD who has a total love affair with veggies that 99% of children don't like! Broad beans anyone?

Yes, I would agree about the wake up call for sure. I felt that on the first day when I was shown to have high cholesterol levels....It's incredibly difficult to embrace healthy, wholesome eating though.....As I've said before when I did (as a student)m I truly had a borderline eating disorder which wasn't good.....I have been upping the veggies and salad BUT it's not always possible to resist carbs confesses to having eaten a doughnut t'other day ...blush

Oh and I've lost my Fitbug.....it fell off my trousers at some point today (a busy one) and I have no idea where it went. Would have thought I would have heard it or possibly even kicked it, if it had fallen off as I was walking along, but no idea really :-(.....However, having used it for over half the 8 week period think I've got a pretty good handle on my patterns of weekday over-exertion vs weekend inertia! grin! And where I need to make amends!

By the way my thighs are still 'smarting' from my PT work-out! As it should be no doubt!

Looking ahead - do you think we are going to have a problem using our Lloyds Pharmacy giftcards!????? Hope not!

lottietiger Thu 20-Feb-14 21:53:24

Non participant
I'd love a personal trainer as although I have lost my baby weight my stomach is huge! It really needs some work and I don't have the willpower to do it myself

skapur Thu 20-Feb-14 22:11:48

I would work on my tummy which has seen better days!

Wjjkl Thu 20-Feb-14 22:14:58

I'd want to concentrate on all over cardio fitness - the best things to do that maximise fitness in minimum time(!) & how to tone up to get my core strength back

GwenStacy Thu 20-Feb-14 22:36:17

Yikes Small, I agree - your trainer sounds scary! Mine was lovely, we had a chat, and she showed me loads of exercises I could do at home as well as at the gym. Going to go along tomorrow and try the programme she put together for me...

StillNoFuckingEyeDeer Thu 20-Feb-14 22:44:21

Non-tester

I'd use a personal trainer to design me a fitness plan that I can do at home to improve my upper body strength & abdominal muscles. I don't seem to be able to do a lot of exercises properly - I'm too feeble to do them & I'd need a fitness plan designed for someone with no balance or co-ordination and no upper body strength.

SpringPlease Thu 20-Feb-14 23:05:23

Non participant
I would ask how to tone my tummy and hopefully lose the wrinkles. It's fairly flat but looks horrible. I don't know if I can actually change this through excercise. Had a CS almost two years ago and the scar has gone but the skin feels loose. Same with the chest really. Lost all oomph in it and although passable not particularly attractive. I keep healthy and walk miles daily but can't seem to tone these areas.

Audreyblue Fri 21-Feb-14 08:42:59

Participants - please share how you got on with your Personal Trainer.

I had my session yesterday evening. My PT was a really friendly petite girl from South Africa called Elaine....but looks can be deceiving. She was tough with me! We said down and firstly discussed the areas I wished to target. I told her the entire area around my middle which has become extremely untoned and flabby after having children and also my arms. So we went straight into it and did some core muscle exercises then tried boxing (which I have never done before) so I was very apprehensive. But like you Willemdefoeismine, I found this the most fun part of the session. Even the PT was impressed with the strength in my upper arms. This is definitely something I would try again.

We did plenty of sit-ups, squats, running, cycling, weights and used these evil machines where you use the inside and outside of your thigh muscles. That was torture - my legs were killing me after all of that. Elaine did all the exercises in burst of three, so 20 situps, a break, then another 10, then another 10 with a short break in between. And she emphasised that pain is good and you are using muscles that haven't been used before.

We finished with lots of stretching exercises on the gym floor. I was completely knackered after all that and hoped to god that I wouldn't see anyone that I knew as I looked red-faced, hair dishevelled and had a very pained expression on my face!

She suggested buying some gloves and punchbag at home (she said you could pick them up quite cheaply on ebay) so I may do that as I really enjoyed the boxing. When the weather gets better she suggested doing short burst of running outside and slowly increasing the distance as a good way of burning fat. I was told that using tinned beans as weights at home while you are watching TV is a great way to exercise too.

I have to say that waking up this morning was terrible. My shoulders are particularly aching with all the punching I did (!) and wearing heels to work this morning wasn't a good call. The PT opened up my eyes to exercise that could be enjoyable and after my gym membership has expired there is still plenty I can do to keep fit. Thanks for this opportunity!

flow4 Fri 21-Feb-14 11:48:53

I'm in my 40s with a long-term health condition and early onset arthritis. I'm waiting for a hip replacement and I'm in pain throughout my body. NHS physio insists on focussing on just one part of the body, but of course we're all connected, and pain and problems spread. I can exercise in water but not at all on land - and I don't know how much of the problem is bio-mechanical and how much is fear. So I'd use the session to find some exercises I can do on dry land without hurting myself...

CointreauVersial Fri 21-Feb-14 12:48:49

I'm feeling cheated! No boxing in my PT session.

Audreyblue Fri 21-Feb-14 13:36:57

Trust me CointreauVersial, you're not cheated - I regret it. I am in so much pain today! In need of a long hot soak in the bath...

WalkingThePlank Fri 21-Feb-14 13:55:20

I haven't had my PT session yet. I'm waiting for my feet to get better before seeing him. In the meantime I'm using the pool and the children enjoyed the Pool Races & Games session which looked excellent.

Bagtrainlady Fri 21-Feb-14 15:40:22

I had my PT session yesterday. I hadn't had a session before but a PT did my gym induction & that was more of a pt routine he gave me.

I had mixed feelings about this session. She gave me a workout on the power plate which was really thorough but will only really be of use for the next couple if weeks I am at the gym. Bits of it really made my brain feel as if it was rattling off my skull! I want to persevere with it though as it felt like it was doing some serious fat burning.

I have woken up this morning with really bad shoulder pain so might have to rethink elements of it! She did give me some really good advice about positive breath which is about contracting your core & pelvic floor muscles in on your out breath which means you are using breathing to give those muscles a work out.

I would have liked some dietary advice but I think it's less rubbish in really! (Out at farm/theme park with the dc's & had a fizzy drink & a Mars bar - it tasted great!)

Chopstheduck Fri 21-Feb-14 16:26:12

You can't taste kale in a smoothie, honest!

Bubbles85 Fri 21-Feb-14 17:49:53

Non participants: for chance to win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card please share on this thread what you'd do with a personal trainer for an hour keep it clean! - would you ask to concentrate on your abs, arms, legs, all over fitness or another area?

I need help with overall fitness as I am really out of shape post having a baby. Actually I think my arms are in good shape after carrying the car seat a lot!

Stripytop Fri 21-Feb-14 20:49:30

I haven't managed to fit in my personal training session yet. I've worked this half term, so finding suitable childcare has been the challenge for me. I've kept up the power walking though, and am doing 2-6k every few days with about half of it running. My own version of the couch to 10k I suppose.
I did have a PT session when I started at the Gym, and although I have not managed to fit the Gym in at all, I am doing some of the exercises he gave me, when I remember and can find the time.
I don't think I've lost weight really - maybe a few pounds but I do feel fitter.

Willemdefoeismine Sat 22-Feb-14 16:29:09

:-( that your feet are still causing you problems WalkingThePlank....

Got a busy week coming up one way and another and angsting about fitting in going to the gym.....

Thought I'd get ahead of myself and do my Lloyds Pharmacy 'shop' online - ha...fine and dandy until it came to paying and it doesn't seem as if you can use the giftcard online - GRRRRRR! There aren't that many around our neck of the woods so thought I'd 'online' it to save time - sigh.... Of course after much practical deliberation I'd decided to go down the 'treat' route so what's the betting when I go in-store I won't be able to find what I saw online.....

I think if I was using it as per the PruHealth Vitality scheme I wouldn't be buying treats at all but every-day items for the whole family (including the pets!)

Bagtrainlady Sun 23-Feb-14 14:16:42

Just back from gym & had second go at my power plate workout. Feel like I have been really working out! My face is still bright red angry < like this but maybe not that cross! I'm hoping my shoulder copes this time.

I do like the idea of boxing too! I did see on the Lloyd's pharmacy website that they sell weights - bit of a pain that you can't buy online. Will need to see what our nearest one sells!

Can't believe we only have 3 weeks left.

CointreauVersial Sun 23-Feb-14 22:11:59

I've been googling Lloyds, and there's one not far away. I quite fancy a "treat" so I might buy some perfume or some new makeup.

I went for a nice run this morning, and have earmarked Tuesday and Thursday for this week's gym trips - gotta keep it up!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now