This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

PruHealth Vitality Experience - month 2 feedback thread with WEEKLY £50 prize for non participants.....NOW CLOSED

(190 Posts)

MNHQ have commented on this thread.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 17-Feb-14 14:34:35

It's now month 2 of the PruHealth Vitality Experience for our 8 lucky participants: see their feedback from month 1 here.

PruHealth say "We believe the more you look after yourself, the healthier you feel. That's why we offer our customers Vitality when they buy our health insurance. Vitality is the world's largest incentive-based wellness programme and can make getting and staying healthy both easier and cheaper, but also reward you for all of your hard work!"

For the next 4 weeks the programme looks like this:

Week 5 - Half-Term & Half-Time - Check in with your personal trainer for a free 1hr session to boost your gym routine.

Week 6 - Discounts Dispensed - Get £25 worth of vouchers to test drive our up to 50% cashback at Lloyds Pharmacy benefit.

Week 7 - Choose Your Reward - Take your pick between discounts to Merlin attractions, National Trust parks or travel with Eurostar, Mark Warner or Mr & Mrs Smith getaways.

Week 8 - Wrap Up - Finish the Vitality Experience with a day of pampering at Champney's spa.

Week 5:Non participants: for chance to win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card please share on this thread what you'd do with a personal trainer for an hour keep it clean! - would you ask to concentrate on your abs, arms, legs, all over fitness or another area? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card - prize draw Monday 24 Feb at 9am. NOW CLOSED
Week 5: Participants - please share how you got on with your Personal Trainer. Have you used one before? Was it was you expected? What did you do? What goals or targets/ suggestions did they have for you going forward and how did you feel the next day!? grin

Week 6 (w/c 24 Feb) is all about showcasing one of the discount partners that PruHealth with Vitality has teamed up with - LloydsPharmacy. PruHealth say "our members can get cashback with Vitality on everyday essentials like health and beauty products, toiletries, fragrances and more whether they shop online or in-store with a LloydsPharmacy Vitality card."

Our participants received £25 worth of vouchers to spend at LloydsPharmacy to test drive the up-to-50% cashback benefit.

Non participants - for chance to win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card please share on this thread what your best beauty or health related treat is for less than £25 - what would you buy? Some lipsticks, a luscious bubble bath or some luxury body lotion? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one lucky MNer will win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card - prize draw Monday 3 March at 9am. NOW CLOSED.

Participants - please share on this thread what you bought with the vouchers - did you treat yourself or buy something more practical for the family? What do you think about this PruHealth with Vitality benefit?

Week 7 is also all about the rewards available to PruHealth with Vitality members - this time our testers are able to choose their reward from a few of the key Vitality partners who are working with PruHealth: Merlin attractions, National Trust parks or travel with Eurostar, Mark Warner or Mr & Mrs Smith getaways.

PruHealth say "We offer rewards to help motivate our members to improve their health and to recognise the hard work they're putting in. We're pleased to team up with a variety of travel, health and entertainment companies to offer members a great range of discounts and special offers."

Non participants - for a chance to win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card please share on this thread what would motivate you to make small steps to improve your health and general well-being? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £50 Nectar card. Prize draw Monday 10 March 9am NOW CLOSED.

Participants: please share on this thread what reward you picked and why. When do you think you'll use it? Do you think this reward would help motivate you to earn more Vitality points (and therefore access to even bigger discounts and rewards)? What other partners would you like to see on the Vitality list?

thanks
MNHQ

CointreauVersial Sat 01-Mar-14 13:06:52

Just got back from second (this time successful) trip to Lloyds. This was a much bigger, smarter branch, so I had no trouble spending my voucher. The fragrance selection was no better (Calum Best EdT, anyone?hmm ), but they did have makeup (Bourjois and Rimmel). So I bought:

Bourjois smoky eyeshadow palette
Bourjois lipstick (a nice useful nude shade)
Sally Hansen Airbrush Legs (on offer, 1/3 off)
Pack of Remegel indigestion remedy (for DH)

The shop assistant peered at the voucher, and asked for my Vitality Membership card, but was content with my explanation that I was only a temporary member. She said "oh yes, we got a letter about Vitality, but I didn't really understand how it worked".

Would this be a good benefit for me if I were a Vitality member? Well, I didn't find Lloyds very convenient for me, as I had to go out of my way to track down a branch; typically, if I need health care items or toiletries I tend to stick them in the supermarket trolley, or pop into a High Street branch of Boots. A 10% cashback probably wouldn't justify the extra effort (I'd rather have the Boots Advantage points), but if it were 50% (which is what the higher level members get, I believe) then I could definitely see myself stocking up there. After all, Lloyds is filled with stuff that we all use.

Willemdefoeismine Sat 01-Mar-14 13:20:50

Hi Finally made it to a Lloyds Pharmacy. DS and I had to go on a special journey which ridiculously took an hour and a half as a round-trip.

The branch was small so no perfume apart from a Katie Price special which I wasn't tempted by!!!! So we had to search to find stuff to buy. Staff very helpful though and no issue with the voucher at all - thankfully. Spent £25.94!

I bought a mix of treats and practical stuff:

2 x chewing gum (DS's choice);
2 x deodorants;
2 x shower gels
Kate Moss lipstick for me;
padded shock absorbing insoles for me with all my walking;
Calpol;
Couple of reduced toiletries gift sets (for donating to school fairs).

I think they have such a positive attitude towards health and wellbeing because many seem attached to GP surgeries, from my Google search.

I don't actually go to chemists much now that the children are well beyond toddlerdom. They no longer have the appeal that they did when I was a young adult either. Not sure why...

Thank you for the voucher though - much appreciated - but I don't think this would be an appealing reward because it would warrant a special out-of-the-way trip and. who wants to have to make a special journey to a pharmacy??????

nerysw Sat 01-Mar-14 15:36:16

Non-tester
As a treat I'd buy myself a posh handcream - my favourites are L'Occitane's Cherry one or Burt's Bees Milk and Honey. They may not be cheap but they last a long time and are something I can keep in my bag and use at work to add a bit of luxury to a dull day.

stephgr Sat 01-Mar-14 18:12:54

Non-participant. My best treat would be a deep conditioning mask for my hair and to have a long soak in the bath whilst the mask hopefully makes me look less frazzled!

IncaAztec Sat 01-Mar-14 20:24:02

It would have to be posh handcreams every time. My hands feel and look worn with the cold weather and need a treat.

Maiyakat Sat 01-Mar-14 21:32:16

Non-participant. Soap and glory handcream, have to wash hands frequently at work so tend to get dry skin.

Willemdefoeismine Sun 02-Mar-14 09:44:44

So cross.....after all that effort getting to the Lloyds Pharmacy I've now discovered that my Kate Moss lipstick doesn't 'twist' up and down - GRRRRRRRR.

Do you think if I send it back with the receipt they would replace it for me.....I just can't face losing another hour and a half to replace a lipstick.... sad

At this 3/4 stage, I've had a think about the vitality challenge and I would say:

in a drip, drip (slowly) kind of way it has changed my approach to diet, exercise and leading a lifestyle more conducive to well-being both physical and mental.

I have really enjoyed the challenge of doing more exercise although I do find it quite difficult to fit it into my usual routine. If I had the spare £100 a month, I could find myself tempted to become a full-time member of the gym.

Realise that I need to invest in some decent walking boots/shoes. I may be exercising my body well with all my walking, but I think my feet are not being treated with the respect they deserve!

The Fitbug, small but oh so powerful, has been my must-have friend for the past six weeks. When I lost mine, I felt bereft. It's totally addictive in a good way (if that's not a contradiction in terms)!

The cinema reward is without a doubt the biggest 'draw' for the family and would be something that would easily encourage me to step-up-to-the-mark in terms of exercise every month...

DS was asking how much the PruHealth Vitality scheme would cost per month. Got me thinking. No idea - £50 per month or more (or less??). Please would it be possible to have some idea based on age etc.....for all of us???

Bagtrainlady Sun 02-Mar-14 14:20:05

I went to the gym this morning and did a punch class as so many of you have been raving about boxing. It really worked me out but I was a bit mis-matched with my partner, who was a very lovely, patient, but obviously very experienced man who needed a better sparring partner than never thrown a punch before me!

I did enjoy it though I paying for it with my shoulder now! I too was thinking about the whole Vitality experience this morning. For me the outstanding bit has been the gym - I love it. I love that I can bring my dc's and they are looked after or doing some exercise too, the space is lovely (it's in a converted railway station so the building is unusual but quite beautiful - dd loves the pool at night as it looks quite dramatic!) there is plenty of equipment so even when it is busy you can still find something to do and finally and probably most importantly the staff are extremely helpful & make me feel very welcome. It would definitely be my exercise incentive!

As a family the biggest perk would be the cinema, we would use some of the discounts available at other shops - I like the idea of my healthy nectar points, but I'm not sure I get to Sainsburys enough for it to make an impression. The fitbug might come into its own when the weather is better & we are walking to the park to play more or even just getting out into the garden.

I do feel quite sad that this is all drawing to a close but it has really made me think about my lifestyle & hopefully I am making improvements!

MadMonkeys Sun 02-Mar-14 22:12:46

Non-participant

it would be hand cream for me too, or foot cream.

Willemdefoeismine Mon 03-Mar-14 08:09:08

Your gym sounds fabulous Bagtrainlady. Mine's a very uninspiring - modern and ugly newbuild.

I'm afraid I have something negative to report: I am really cross. I have just checked thro' my January bank statement (cancelling a direct debit mandate) and discovered that when I bought my gym stuff from Sweatshop online (just a top and pair of running 'tights') I thought I'd successfully used my £50 voucher and had to top up the extra £7.99 with my debit card. Well I've just discovered I paid for the whole lot with my direct debit card - and of course being (overly) efficient me, because I assumed that I'd successfully used the gift card I'm pretty sure I've binned it...

I wouldn't have minded buying gym kit myself but I would never ever have spent £57.99 on two items with my own money - I would probably have gone to Primark or got it in the supermarket. So very, very cross indeed. It's not as if there's not plenty of other things I could have spent the money on.

What annoys me is that there was no indication that the transaction hadn't accepted the gift-card. It now makes sense that you were all saying you'd had problems.... hmm and angry

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 03-Mar-14 10:12:05

Congrats to KateOxford who wins the £50 Nectar card for Week 6.

Week 7 is also all about the rewards available to PruHealth with Vitality members - this time our testers are able to choose their reward from a few of the key Vitality partners who are working with PruHealth: Merlin attractions, National Trust parks or travel with Eurostar, Mark Warner or Mr & Mrs Smith getaways.

PruHealth say "We offer rewards to help motivate our members to improve their health and to recognise the hard work they're putting in. We're pleased to team up with a variety of travel, health and entertainment companies to offer members a great range of discounts and special offers."

Non participants - for a chance to win a £50 pre-loaded Nectar card please share on this thread what would motivate you to make small steps to improve your health and general well-being? Add your comment and you'll be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a £50 Nectar card. Prize draw Monday 10 March 9am.

Participants: please share on this thread what reward you picked and why. When do you think you'll use it? Do you think this reward would help motivate you to earn more Vitality points (and therefore access to even bigger discounts and rewards)? What other partners would you like to see on the Vitality list?

thanks MNHQ

Willemdefoeismine Mon 03-Mar-14 10:49:03

I went for the National Trust membership (the children go free) as it's definitely the reward in this category that we are most likely to use en famille.

Although we've never been National Trust members, it's something we have often contemplated. I am hoping that it will motivate us to go a bit further afield exploring at weekends and during the school holidays. Moreover, we holiday in the Uk and usually do at least NT property visit per trip, so it makes perfect sense to have the membership.

Honestly, I'm not sure if it would motivate me to earn more Vitality points if I wasn't kindly being given the membership for myself for free. Again it's going to be a big extra effort getting to all these places by public transport - it's worth it if you know you can get into your end destination NT property for free, but less so just with a % discount - if that makes sense.

I think this part of the Vitality rewards programme seems very much aimed at affluent singletons/couples. For sure, my choice of reward would have been Eurostar or Mr & Mrs Smith getaways before having the children.

In terms of other partners what about Centre Parcs or a family-oriented hotel chain or possibly even one of the UK train companies???

FiveOwls Mon 03-Mar-14 13:49:32

Non-tester: what would motivate you to make small steps to improve your health and general well-being?

Finding something that I enjoyed. Also, hearing from people like me who had done the same thing and got results, or having some other evidence that what I was doing would actually work. I've got better at "small steps" more recently because my friend invited me to start going to the gym with her. She'd been going for a while and had been like me - a bit of a couch potato - but had really got into it, and I reckoned if she could enjoy it... grin In the past, when I've tried to do healthier things, I've gone for big changes and wanted big results, quickly! Probably because my changes have been inspired by panic after looking at the scales, or knowing I had a big event coming up that I wanted to look good for. Or (as I've got older) aches and pains giving me a "use it or lose it" attitude. So knowing that you can take small steps, not in a panic, and get good results, albeit over time, would be my biggest motivation.

Stripytop Mon 03-Mar-14 14:20:10

willem that's awful! Hope you find that voucher and can get your money back. Also, I got an online quote from pruhealth at the start of this programme. I can't remember what it was except that I was more than a little shock.

We spent our cinema vouchers last night and went to see mr Peabody. Film plus too many snacks came to exactly £40. It was a lovely family treat, but definitely not the healthiest activity, considering.

My first choice was National Trust membership. But this only included 1 adult! To then purchase an additional adult membership would have cost me an extra £43.50. If this had been a £50 voucher, as for eurostar, I could have used it to purchase a 2 adult family membership and only had to add £23.50.

So, I've opted for the Eurostar vouchers, which hopefully we'll be able to use to go to Paris. I'm always a bit wary of these kind of vouchers as they sometimes can only be used off the brochure price and I'm a bit of an Internet squirrel when it comes to booking holidays. I've had a few so called vouchers that really were not worth using as I was able to find the holiday cheaper elsewhere anyway. I hope these aren't like that.

I agree that the choice of partners does not seem geared to families, and I also agree that Centreparcs would be a good partner, or something like Parkdean or Forest Holidays.

telsa Mon 03-Mar-14 18:30:38

Non participant here

I would be motivated if I could find someone to do this with me. My partner is not interested (anyway, he cycles a lot and doesn't need to lose weight and get fit like I do>. But I don't have any friends ....boo hoo... To keep up my spirit and celebrate or lament with. So, how about establishing a database of friendly people who would like to hook up for exercise and mutual jollying?

Message withdrawn at poster's request.

WalkingThePlank Mon 03-Mar-14 19:35:18

And some of us have struggled with Sweatshop, Nectar and the cinema!

Sorry to hear Willem that you actually thought you had used the voucher but are now £50 down. Really frustrating. The response I've had from PruHealth has been that the problem is with third party providers but hopefully you'll get a better response.

So, on to week 7. I have opted for the £30 Merlin voucher (had been tempted by the NT membership but there aren't many houses in my area). We will go to Chessington when the weather is better AND since I have not been able to use the Nectar card at Sainsburys, I am going to try to use the Nectar card at Chessington too - worth a try I reckon.

Maiyakat Mon 03-Mar-14 21:33:52

Non-participant. Finding a group activity I could go to weekly would help, to have a social aspect as well as a fitness aspect. Need something that requires no co-ordination though!

sharond101 Mon 03-Mar-14 21:56:17

NOn-participant. Having a baby motivated me as I wanted to be a positive influence to them when they were growing up so now I eat healthier and exercise as often as I can, go out walks, spend time outdoors etc.

Kewcumber Mon 03-Mar-14 22:16:10

Maiyakat - you're on the adoption boards? Yes?

If you're feeling brave, pm me your address and I'll send you a present courtesy of Prudential (well kinda - you can have something of mine that Prudential gave me a different brand of and it'll take me ages to use).

If any of that made any sense! grin

AndHarry Mon 03-Mar-14 22:51:16

Non-participant. What would motivate me to take small steps to improve my health and well being?

Hmm. Not feeling bone tired all the time would be a good start. At the moment I'm lacking the motivation to so much as crawl into bed... Maybe also being given 'permission' somehow to take time to look after myself.

loopsngeorge Mon 03-Mar-14 23:08:56

We used the cinema vouchers yesterday and went to see Mr Peabody etc. Well the kids watched it and I and DH had a nice doze, as did many other adults in the cinema!! And as the family ticket was only £30 we let the kids go mad in the pick and mix afterwards.
I've chosen the NT membership for this week;s treat which is something I've often thought about buying. It will work for us as I envisage using it in the summer holidays when it's just me and the kids and we will be doing quite a lot of day trips. We're also planning a break in the Lake District and I think a big bonus will be that it entitles you to free parking at their sites.
I thought about the Eurostar discount, but I agree that often these discounts don't turn out to be worth anything because they're off an already inflated price. So not sure that any of these offers would motivate me particularly if I was a proper PruHealth member, but they are wonderful as a competition prize!

Audreyblue Tue 04-Mar-14 10:36:14

Willem - that's terrible. Hope it gets sorted. I agree with all the testers about the Lloyds Pharmacy incentive. I too think it's not the best option for partnering. The chemist was very poorly stocked. I think maybe a discount with Boots or Superdrug would be far more useful.

*Week 7 feedback:
please share on this thread what reward you picked and why? When do you think you'll use it? *

I have chosen the Eurostar reward as DH and I were planning to go to Paris in the summer (without DCs) as grandparents have kindly offered to babysit for three days so this is perfect for us. I am really looking forward to going as the last time I went was about 15 years ago and I loved it. Now need to save up to do some shopping there!

Do you think this reward would help motivate you to earn more Vitality points (and therefore access to even bigger discounts and rewards)?
Yes definitely. I've been to Brussels on the Eurostar before but this was pre-DCs and I think having a short break would be great. Would love to take them to Belgium or France sometime in the future.

What other partners would you like to see on the Vitality list?
I agree with the others - Centerparcs, Butlins or even companies like cottages4you would be a lot better. When DCs were younger we didn't want to venture out abroad and often booked UK short breaks, so these companies would be ideal. And I agree with Willem about a family-friendly hotel chain.

I also suggest ditching Lloyds (sorry!) and replace with discounts at Boots/Superdrug which would be far more appealing.

GwenStacy Tue 04-Mar-14 17:11:24

If people are having issues with the nectar points, you can cash them in on the website for vouchers to spend in sainsburys, so you could do it that way round maybe?

We've opted for the Eurostar vouchers, as we've been pondering a couple of days in Bruges this year, so this is good timing! I've done Eurostar before to Belgium, and it's so easy - especially considering we'll have the baby! The idea of trying to get her on a plane with a buggy and suitcases is terrifying, especially for such a short haul flight, so this will be good smile

I think this reward is much more about treating yourself, so I think the current partners are quite good! I think centreparcs would be a good one as well, especially with their focus on activity!

Kewcumber Tue 04-Mar-14 17:26:47

I've gone for Merlin vouchers as we live within driving distance of Lego land.

I also popped around to my local (high class) Lloyds today and it was so well stocked I came out with nothing! Now I have to research all the brand they have and decide what to buy...

Do you think this reward would help motivate you to earn more Vitality points (and therefore access to even bigger discounts and rewards)? - it might just becasue of the LEgoland issue but once DS is too old for that (which I guess won;t be long) I don;t think most of the rewards are very family orientated. Some of them like the NT membership might be nice to have but I don;t think it would motivate me like some of teh other rewards (cheap gym membership, free cinema tickets)

What other partners would you like to see on the Vitality list? agree with everyone else about more family friendly activities

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now