This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Mumsnetters needed to try lower alcohol Blossom Hill Vie. £100 Debenhams Gift Card to be won. NOW CLOSED

(118 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 13-Jan-14 09:46:16

Blossom Hill have asked us to find 100 Mumsnetters to try lower alcohol Blossom Hill Vie White or Rosé.

Here's what Blossom Hill say:
"The start of the new year is all about lighter choices, so it's the perfect time to try Blossom Hill Vie 5.5%vol. Vie is a reduced alcohol wine based drink that has an elegant, light and fruity taste. It is the perfect choice for those occasions when you'd like a drink without the higher alcohol content like lunch or early evening.
Vie has all the taste you'd expect from Blossom Hill, the nation's favourite wine*, but with only 5.5% vol and 30% less calories than Blossom Hill still wine. Vie is available in White - with hints of citrus, pear and apricot flavours and Rosé - with a floral aroma, ripe peach and strawberry flavours. Both are v. elegant, v. delicate and v. tasty choices.
If you prefer sweeter style drinks, then Vie is perfect for you. We think it's v. tasty, but would love to hear what you think! For more information about Vie and to explore more of the Blossom Hill range visit: www.blossomhill.com.

Those selected will be sent a bottle of Blossom Hill Vie White or Rosé (RRSP £4.99). Please indicate your preference when signing up, we'll do our best to meet this but can't guarantee it.

Every tester who adds their thoughts to the feedback thread will be entered into a prize draw to win a £100 Debenhams Gift Card!

This product test is open to all UK Mumsnetters aged 18 and over. If you'd like to take part please sign up here.

Thanks and good luck,

MNHQ

* Nielsen GB Total Trade (On's to 05 10 13, Off's to 12.10.13)

MrsPennyapple Fri 07-Feb-14 10:40:25

I take it we're leaving feedback here then? The email said there'd be another email including a link, but I haven't had one. So anyway:

1. White - normally prefer rose but drink white from time to time. It was sweeter than I expected and I couldn't manage more than one glass.

2. Fruity, I thought I detected a taste of pears.

3. I'd recommend it to friends if they definitely like sweet wines, but not if they prefer drier ones.

4. After the kids are in bed and the house is tidy, pots washed etc.

5. No I didn't, but calorie content wouldn't make a difference to my choice of wine.

6. Don't cook with it. I made a chicken stew, which i normally put white wine in, but only had the Vie in the house so I used some of that. It made the whole dish far, far too sweet and not really enjoyable.

hannahem Mon 27-Jan-14 12:23:36

Mine's out of date too! Have PMed Michelle at mumsnet, hadn't opened it but doubt it would have done me too much harm!

daisybrown Mon 27-Jan-14 12:13:42

1. White, will certainly go on the shopping list in the future
2. Light Fruity and refreshing
3. Would recommend it for any situation, BBQ, dinner, or just as a refreshing wine that won't knock you off your feet (Unless you drink the entire bottle in one go by yourself)
4. Any time
5. No I didn't really read the label in detail, although I would pay more attention if I was buying it myself.
6. Tastes light but not watery, we couldn't tell it was low alcohol.

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 27-Jan-14 10:20:15

So sorry to everyone who has received an out of date bottle! If you received a bottle past its best before date please PM me with your address and a new bottle will be sent out to you.

Just checked the bb on mine 02/13. It seems slightly sparking. Should it be? It's the rose one btw.

KJ123 Sun 26-Jan-14 13:58:37

1. Thankyou! I have tested the rose. I really quite liked it.
Z2. Quite fruity, sweet and lighter taste so you can tell it is lower alcohol
3. Would recommend it as above, and because its good if you don't want to drink too much alcohol, but still drink one eg. If driving, or just don't want to feel ropeythenext morning! Aso less calories.
4. Summer lunches or nights - but have also enjoyed it just now On cold winter nights! Nice tht it is not too heavy nd you can feel righteous drinking it!
5. Only when I read the blurb did I know bout the fewer calories
6. All my thoughts as hove, but think I will look for it and buy it - depending on cost.

winetime Sun 26-Jan-14 11:38:07

Just checked my empty wine bottle - best before 02/2015.

It was very nice and will add my feedback next week.

Thank you Blossom Hill and mumsnet very much! smile

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Sun 26-Jan-14 11:28:44

hi - feedback will be from Monday - will flag the bb issue to the team.

hootloop Sun 26-Jan-14 10:17:56

Mine was also best before 02/2013 but as it was best before not use by I drank it anyway and am fine.

deepbreath Sat 25-Jan-14 23:22:42

If you have a bottle there, take a look on the label just above the barcode. I only noticed it when I looked at the label.

I thought I was seeing things and asked someone else to check!

mercibucket Sat 25-Jan-14 20:56:49

how does wine have a bb date?? the best wines are old not young

MikeLitoris Sat 25-Jan-14 20:39:32

Does wine go off?

I would never have thought too check bb on wine.

I'm drinking my rose now and it is surprisingly nice. Even super fussy DP like it.

deepbreath Sat 25-Jan-14 20:33:50

My wine arrived on Thursday, and I just went to open it but it is out of date! Best Before 02.2013, so not just a couple of weeks out.

Gutted!

tiredoutgran Sat 25-Jan-14 17:41:45

The email said feedback thread on Monday I think, I'm tasting mine tonight!

hootloop Sat 25-Jan-14 14:22:59

Is there a review thread or do we put the feedback here?

GlassCastle Fri 24-Jan-14 19:54:42

We received ours on Wednesday and managed to control ourselves until tonight.

Which Vie Variant did you try and what did you think?

I am happy I got the Rose because I love pretty pink wine although I am myself, pretty much teetotal drinking maybe once a year and barely a swallow. I don't really like the taste of alcohol. However I do want to find a quaffable light wine that I can drink to join in and be sociable because I do feel left out sometimes. However I cook with alcohol a lot including sorbets and cakes where i add it to a sugar soak. I find Rose lovely to use in cooking imparting a pretty colour as well as gentle bright tastes. I can see that Rose could be seen as more feminine by many men and the bottle design with its Orchid graphic in pinks probably reflects these stereotypes. The prominence of the lower alcohol content on the front (5.5%) also makes it appeal to people trying to reduce blood alcohol levels and calories.

My husband doesn't care about the wine being pink and doesn't consider things like this when he buys. So he had no problems trying it.

How would you describe the taste of Vie to your friends

Both myself and my husband tasted the wine and here are both our thoughts.

Husband - Sweet w/ a gentle floral nose. Very perfumed in the glass. It reminded him of high quality Turkish Delight made w/ Rosewater. He didn't detect as much strawberry as I did and had he done so would not have drunk it as he dislikes strawberries intensely! He would describe it as a sweeter wine, one for people who do not like dry wines.

Me- I detected the strawberry cut w/ a warmer deeper note immediately. I hadn't read the description deliberately so as to avoid suggestion. I didn't do my usual 'judder' that drinking drier wines normally invokes so it must be pretty sweet! I would describe it as a Rose wine that tastes both exactly as I would hope based upon its pretty colour! It is gentle but the 'cut' stops it being sickly.I would love to make a Granita with this wine.

Would you recommend it to them? If so, why If not, why not

I would recommend it to my friends that I know like lighter wines. I definitely think a lower alcohol wine is a good thing especially considering the huge glasses many people use but I'm not sure I know anybody who would bother that much about the reduced calories. Most of the men I know drink real ale and they worry about the effect this has on their waistline and the bloating. They might enjoy an ale w/ reduced calories but no reduced taste!

What would be the perfect Vie time for you

I have long wanted to find a rose I could drink on picnics, at parties, BBQ's etc. I could imagine drinking this on Holkham Beach on a warmer Winters day, wrapped in a blanket and also in the warmer months. It feels like an 'outdoors' wine. I don't really drink at home but my Husband does and he like me said he thought this would market well in colder months not just Summer. He sees himself drinking this at an outdoor event such as a concert.

Did I know that Blossom Hill Vie has 30% fewer calories than Blossom Hill Still Wine

No because I know very little about makes of wines. i know now though.

Any Other thoughts you'd like to share

We would buy this again. Only because I actually tolerated the taste better than I normally do. Being a Supertaster, wine just tastes sour to me unless I cook w/ it so it was a lovely surprise to find I could bear to drink it. it reminded me of the only other wine I've ever liked called 'Villa Lantana'. I've never found that wine again. I don't drink enough alcohol to worry about the alcoholic volume, neither of us drives with any alcohol in our system and again ,the reduced calories is not a factor that affects my buying choice. But I can imagine it appealing to dieters.

I got mine too, no email just the wine. It's lovely but it went straight to my head as all wine does!
Where do we feedback?

mercibucket Fri 24-Jan-14 19:32:40

a surprise bottle arrived today, perfect timing!

MrsPennyapple Fri 24-Jan-14 00:09:47

Not received mine yet, I'll be keeping an eye open for the postie in the morning.

MiniSoksMakeHardWork Thu 23-Jan-14 21:42:40

Bottle currently chilling a bit more in the fridge. Waiting for tomorrow evening when dh has gone out and the dc are in bed.

MikeLitoris Thu 23-Jan-14 19:26:22

I've got my bottle.

I haven't told dp its low alcohol and im convinced he wont be able to tell the difference.

Im hoping it's nice do I can drink but not have the dreaded wine head the next day.

mandacp Thu 23-Jan-14 19:11:42

where do we put feedback?

Livvylongpants Thu 23-Jan-14 13:38:20

Mines arrived,

I've had to open it and have a glass... In the name of research.... Obviously.

I've got the rose its lovely smile

stares at empty bottle I'm joking

ooh mine arrived but no email

grabaspoon Thu 23-Jan-14 11:04:43

Waiting for mine :D

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now