This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Knorr Stock Pots Leftover Challenge Feedback Thread: Anyone can share their thoughts for a chance to win a Knorr Hamper worth £50. Testers: £150 voucher prize draw for feedback NOW CLOSED

(116 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Dec-13 10:54:04

A couple of weeks ago Knorr challenged 30 Mumsnetters to take part in the Stock Pot Leftover Challenge and test Knorr products with their leftovers. This thread is for the 30 testers to share their feedback on the challenge, and for non-testers to share their experiences with Knorr & leftovers.

Here?s what Knorr have to say, ?As part of our partnership with Love Food Hate Waste, we?re committed to helping people get the most from their food, reducing the amount that goes to waste and saving them money at the same time. Christmas dinner is almost guaranteed to leave us all with lots of leftovers in the fridge, so we?re really excited to see how Mumsnetters use Knorr to give their Christmas leftovers a new lease of life.?

Non-testers: How are you using your Christmas leftovers this year? Are you churning out the good old turkey sandwiches or have you been more inventive? Have you used Stock Pots or Gravy Pots before when preparing meals with your leftovers? Whatever you?re doing with your leftovers, let us know!

Everyone who shares their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a Knorr hamper (worth £50).

Testers: We?ve got a set of questions we?d like you to answer about using Knorr stock pots with your Christmas leftovers. Please feel free to add any other comments you may have.

1. Which of the Knorr products did you like best and why?
2. What did you make with your Stock Pots, Gravy Pots and Christmas leftovers?
3. Do you think that the Stock Pots helped you use up your Christmas leftovers and minimise waste? If so, why? If not, why not?
4. Do you think you?ll use Knorr products more often in the future to use up your leftovers with? If so, why? If not, why not?
5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Knorr Stock Pots as a way to use up your leftovers to friends and family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Everyone who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 M&S voucher.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

MNHQ

Mine never came. I assumed it was because of the Christmas post and then I forgot about them until I spotted this thread. Never mind smile I use them anyway though and find them great.

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Thu 16-Jan-14 17:10:57

As the product test has now come to an end, Knorr would like to say the following,

"We're absolutely thrilled with your responses and would like to thank the testers who shared their feedback, and also the non-testers who inspired us with their recipe ideas. A few of our favourites included Clorinella's turkey risotto, Mignonette's Mexican chipotle rice dish, Patilla's chickenbiryani, Bumbumsmummy's turkey & chorizo casserole, and Natrob199's savoury Chelsea buns… they all sound delicious! We'd love to share your recipes with others, if you're happy for them to be used could you please private message MichelleMumsnet with your email address? We'll ensure that a small thank you gift comes your way!

We'd also like to congratulate Bubble85 on the birth of her baby over Christmas! We're amazed that you still found time to cook a Christmas dinner, and to share your thoughts on leftovers too! We were also really touched by Glammanana, who's been using our stock pots to make soups for her elderly neighbours. We'd like to send you both a little something to say thank you for your lovely stories ( Bubble85, we'll make sure there's something in there for your new arrival too!) – please can you send your addresses to MichelleMumsnet in a personal message?

Finally, we'd like to thank you all for your honest and open feedback on our products. We noticed a few comments around the salt levels of our products and we'd like to draw your attention to our existing range of reduced salt stock cubes. We've also asked our chefs to look into the idea of Reduced Salt Gravy & Stock Pots, to accommodate different taste preferences. In the meantime, we hope that you continue to enjoy our products as part of a balanced meal, and ask that you continue to share your feedback with us here."

MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Wed 15-Jan-14 15:44:03

Thank you everyone for all your posts. This thread has now closed and the winners are, insanityscatching - congratulations, you've won a £150 M&S voucher, and zipzap you have won a Knorr hamper worth £50 - congratulations! We'll be in touch shortly.

mhoc12 Tue 14-Jan-14 17:37:06

Left over roasties and stuffing balls give an added oomph to post Christmas baguettes with left over turkey. The ends of sliced loaves I blitz in the freezer and freeze so I can always make up some home made stuffing balls with softened chopped onions, sage, mixed together with a left over egg!

CardiffUniversityNetballTeam Mon 13-Jan-14 19:25:08

I only managed to collect my stock pots from the post office today!!
So, seeing as how I don't have any Christmas leftovers anymore I used the veg pots this evening to make a minestrone soup.
It was very nice, not too salty which is something a lot of stock cubes seem to be.
The jelly didn't dissolve as quickly or easily as I expected in the boiling water. But as I was making a soup I just threw the half dissolved jelly into the pot and gave it a good stir.
I am looking forward to using the other pots over the next couple of days.
It was also nice to get the set of recipe cards in the box too. I am looking forward to trying the smoked salmon and potato soup.

goldenretriever Sun 12-Jan-14 11:38:59

We used a stock pot to make a tasty turkey casserole with the left over veg.

nerysw Fri 10-Jan-14 09:47:42

Non Tester
It's not all that inventive but we have a roast most Sundays and my daughter has cold meat sandwiches in her lunch box. I cook too much and me and the other half take a roast dinner to work on Monday which is a great way to cheer up the start of the working week!

BigGapMum Thu 09-Jan-14 14:22:42

Non tester. Using leftovers is one of the things I love about Christmas so I always make sure that I have a big turkey.

Following the traditional roast turkey for 9 people on Christmas day, we had 7 people for lunch on Boxing day. Basically we had salad - cold turkey, cold spiced beef and smoked salmon with chips, creamed potatoes and all the usual salady extras.

Over the next couple of days we had turkey sandwiches, then turkey and chorizo jambalaya.

Then I stripped the rest of the meat off the carcass and put that in the freezer for another time. That was enough for another 2 meals.

I boiled the carcass down for stock then, and picked off the little bits of the meat remaining on it. I added the by-then set turkey jelly which was kept from the roasting tin on xmas day. (it's also delicious spread on warm toast, but I was strong-willed this year and kept it).

There was enough turkey stock and meat pieces to make 3 batches of turkey soup, so I made a turkey and veg soup and froze the remainder in 2 batches to make more soup another time.

For me it's not just about saving money. I feel that if a bird had to sacrifice it's life to feed us, we should have a responsibility to it to make sure that none of it is wasted.

satine Thu 09-Jan-14 12:19:56

I don't have Christmas leftovers, but as I've been flat broke since Christmas, I've been far more careful about saving leftovers and trying to be inventive with them!
Therefore one roast chicken becomes chicken pie, chicken risotto, chicken chopped up with a little cheese and some broccoli, mixed with a little mayonnaise and Dijon mustard and baked in some of those croissant dough triangles in a can that you can buy (v popular with the children) and lastly, soup with a few sorry looking veg from the bottom of the veg drawer in the fridge.
I've discovered that adding red lentils to any stew or tomato based sauce makes it go much further (and they're virtually undetectable after a bit of slow simmering).

xxxkadzxxx Thu 09-Jan-14 11:06:46

Yes, we have used the turkey for sandwiches-and the stuffing as well of course! We have also used it for more roasts-we haven't re heated it but have let the gravy warm it up on our plates and has worked well! We have made soup with the leftover veg and are now working our way through the leftover chocolates... Lifes a bitch!!! ;)

zipzap Wed 08-Jan-14 23:17:27

Non tester here.

I made lots of nice turkey and winter vegetable soup with the left overs from the turkey and from the turkey carcass boiled up.

Left over turkey has been portioned up and stuck in the freezer to be brought out over the next month or two so that we didn't have to eat it all immediately after christmas and get sick of it. DH adores curry whereas I'm not so keen, so having some meat ready will make it easy to make him a single portion of curry.

I've also made a nice tomato and wholegrain soup with the stock from boiling up the ham, the next day the wholegrains (just the mix you can get from waitrose) had made the soup go quite thick, more the consistency of dahl than soup, so I added spanish style herbs and spices to it to make a delicious spicy spanish turkey dish. Not sure how traditionally spanish it was, but it tasted good!

eteo Wed 08-Jan-14 22:16:13

I always use Knorr. I like the flavour and thickness. They are great for anything! I made sweetcorn soup with all the leftover roasted pork.

pertempsnooo Wed 08-Jan-14 19:36:43

Non-tester.
We made chicken soup and a chicken pie which had all the roast veg and chicken inside, delicious!!!

sealight123 Wed 08-Jan-14 19:14:46

We've made a lot of bubble and squeak, turkey curry (as you do) Roast beef and potato cakes and generally hot beef sandwiches!

We use stock pots in a fair bit of our cooking already, just as an extra bit of flavour smile

peronel Wed 08-Jan-14 14:51:57

I added cranberry sauce (homemade) to granola and yogurt for breakfast. It was so nice, I bought more cranberries to make more!

majjsu Wed 08-Jan-14 13:28:27

Non tester here. Tried kebabs, soup, sandwiches, jacket potato fillings, casseroles..

lorka Wed 08-Jan-14 11:47:22

Non -tester -Tonight I'm going to make mine in to turkey and rice soup with lots of lovely vegetables. Yummy!!

wheretoyougonow Tue 07-Jan-14 19:09:30

Tester here:
1) our favourites were the beef, vegetable and gravy pots. The gravy pots were tasty and easy to use - lovely with the meat juices. Vegetable was so versatile.
2) we made; vegetable soup, gravy for a roast dinner, turkey curry and a stew. Leftovers were the soup and curry.
3) it did help us use up the leftovers and minimise waste. We had two Christmas dinners due to my husband working. It encouraged us not to through the veg in the bin.
4) we will use them in the future. They are easy to use and tasty. Great to add a bit of flavour to left over veg.
5) I would recommend them although I echo thought about about the salt content. It's also a shame they aren't all gluten free. However, they are handy, tasty and easy to use. There will always be some in my stock cupboard.

Thank you for letting me be a tester.

hanbee Tue 07-Jan-14 13:53:14

Non tester here

Our favourite way of using up left over roast turkey or chicken is to use it in pasta recipe. We have several family members who say they don't like left over meat but do enjoy it in a pasta sauce.

Different combos we do are:

carbonara with poultry sn andd bacon

baked pasta with tomato, mozzarella spinach and poultry.
Chicken and pesto pasta.

RubyRR Tue 07-Jan-14 13:42:27

1)I liked the veg stock pots, I have found them great to make soup with using left over vegetables.
2)Risotto,soup, more soup and a bolognese style casserole type thing to use up leftover beef, it was popular with everyone, I'm not convinced I could make the same again due to my chuck it all in and hope for the best ingredient list.
3)I can't afford to waste food, the hamper provided more variety and I put more effort into thinking what I could do with what I had.
4) I'm most likely to use the veg stock pots again. The gravy pots have been useful, usually I have to sieve my gravy!
5) I've mentioned them to a few people, doesn't really grab them in conversation but I'm very pleased I got to try them. I was surprised there wasn't a lamb one, I was hoping for an excuse to buy lamb.

1 Which of the Knorr products did you like best and why?
I like the rich beef stock best because it gives a depth of flavour to soups, stews and gravies.
I made potato soup, turkey and mushroom pie and the turkey meatloaf that went down a storm.
3. Do you think that the Stock Pots helped you use up your Christmas leftovers and minimise waste? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes they did because they added flavour and gave a good base to dishes and the gravy pots are convenient and time saving too
4. Do you think you’ll use Knorr products more often in the future to use up your leftovers with? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes I'll continue to use them as I have been using them prior to the test anyway
5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Knorr Stock Pots as a way to use up your leftovers to friends and family? If so, why? If not, why not?
Yes I've already passed on the turkey meatloaf recipe to dsis along with a couple of stock and gravy pots and she likes them too.

kateandme Tue 07-Jan-14 00:59:34

we have had
urkey and veg omelette
bubble and squeek
balti turkey currey
turkey and ham in white sauce

Cherryjellybean Mon 06-Jan-14 21:43:30

Non tester:
We had lots of meals like turkey, with cheese boards, left over cranberry sauce, salad, olives, crisps etc. sounds weird but it works smile

My mum makes a mushed up pie, all meet and veg in a pie with stock, tastes lovely!

JustCallMeBaldrick Mon 06-Jan-14 21:19:30

I liked both the gravy and stock pots, as they were easy to use, and tasted better than the cubes/gravy powder I usually end up using last-minute!
I have used the gravy pots for doing cold meat and chips type meals, as well as the Christmas dinner! The stock pots have been used in soups, mince-based dishes and a chicken pie. All (except the Xmas dinner) used leftovers.
They did, as I would probably not have felt as inspired to use up the leftovers, and they would have ended up being thrown away.
4. Do you think you’ll use Knorr products more often in the future to use up your leftovers with? If so, why? If not, why not?
I will probably use them use them again as they are easy to use.
I would, as I have enjoyed using them in my cooking. The kids have also enjoyed helping squeeze them out of he pots. Apparently it's more fun than crumbling stock cubes!

The vegetable stock pot was brilliant. We have a few recipes that use a lot of rice and using the veg stock gave it a much richer flavour than before.

I used the chicken stock pot to make a soup by shredding left over turkey and simmering with fresh ginger, spring onions and chilli with a touch of chinese 5 spice.
The veg stock pot made a leek and mushroom risotto - not left overs, but we'd had enough of xmas food.
We've used the gravy pots to go with meat and roasts and they are lovely.

I used them with regular dishes we do to use up leftovers and they did taste a lot nicer than when we use stock cubes.

We're definitely going to buy the gravy pots again as they gravy they make is very rich and tasty, but not really with leftovers. The stock pots really give rice and pasta dishes more depth of flavour and its those kind of dishes that we use leftovers in.

I'd recommend both the stock and gravy pots to friends, but not necessarily just for leftovers as they make a good substitute for stock cubes for everything.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now