This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

Knorr Stock Pots Leftover Challenge Feedback Thread: Anyone can share their thoughts for a chance to win a Knorr Hamper worth £50. Testers: £150 voucher prize draw for feedback NOW CLOSED

(116 Posts)
MichelleMumsnet (MNHQ) Mon 23-Dec-13 10:54:04

A couple of weeks ago Knorr challenged 30 Mumsnetters to take part in the Stock Pot Leftover Challenge and test Knorr products with their leftovers. This thread is for the 30 testers to share their feedback on the challenge, and for non-testers to share their experiences with Knorr & leftovers.

Here?s what Knorr have to say, ?As part of our partnership with Love Food Hate Waste, we?re committed to helping people get the most from their food, reducing the amount that goes to waste and saving them money at the same time. Christmas dinner is almost guaranteed to leave us all with lots of leftovers in the fridge, so we?re really excited to see how Mumsnetters use Knorr to give their Christmas leftovers a new lease of life.?

Non-testers: How are you using your Christmas leftovers this year? Are you churning out the good old turkey sandwiches or have you been more inventive? Have you used Stock Pots or Gravy Pots before when preparing meals with your leftovers? Whatever you?re doing with your leftovers, let us know!

Everyone who shares their thoughts will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a Knorr hamper (worth £50).

Testers: We?ve got a set of questions we?d like you to answer about using Knorr stock pots with your Christmas leftovers. Please feel free to add any other comments you may have.

1. Which of the Knorr products did you like best and why?
2. What did you make with your Stock Pots, Gravy Pots and Christmas leftovers?
3. Do you think that the Stock Pots helped you use up your Christmas leftovers and minimise waste? If so, why? If not, why not?
4. Do you think you?ll use Knorr products more often in the future to use up your leftovers with? If so, why? If not, why not?
5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Knorr Stock Pots as a way to use up your leftovers to friends and family? If so, why? If not, why not?

Everyone who adds their feedback will be entered into a prize draw to win a £150 M&S voucher.

Thanks and Merry Christmas!

MNHQ

gazzalw Thu 26-Dec-13 18:15:13

Non-tester...

We've whittled down the turkey crown to a container-full of 'left-overs' which will be made into a tasty turkey pie ;-).

If there's any more left over I shall be making one of Nigella's pan-Asian turkey salad classics which is cleansing and as different from Christmas lunch as you can get still using turkey!

WaitingForPeterWimsey Thu 26-Dec-13 21:05:27

Turkey soup today smile

WaitingForPeterWimsey Thu 26-Dec-13 21:05:54

Should have said I'm a non tester!

Onefewernow Fri 27-Dec-13 08:47:20

After Christmas dinner I bag up a few chunks of turkey bits and bones and chuck them in the freezer. It's no more work than chucking it in the outside bin, and I can then make stock and soup in January when I have time.

NewYearsHeave Fri 27-Dec-13 09:54:18

Eye used one of the stock pots last night to use up what was left of the turkey. Mixed it with garam masala, cumin and fresh coriander to make a spicy stew.

Tester here, I made roast potato soup this morning.
Dice a large white onion and fry in butter until soft, add garlic to taste.
Make about 3 pints of stock using Knorr vegetable stock pots.
Add flesh of one courgette (or parsnip if you have leftovers) and simmer, dice potatoes (about 2lbs) add to liquid and heat and then blend.
Stir in a couple of tablespoons of cream or sour cream before serving.
I'll be serving mine with crusty bread later.

AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 27-Dec-13 10:51:06
Trills Fri 27-Dec-13 10:53:53

I have tried making stock from the remains of a roast chicken and the stock pots are just nicer.

Just saw Nigella (on some random channel) making a lovely quick chicken soup, but she used fresh stock and I thought "no need for that!".

Non tester.

I really like the knot onion gravy pot and often use it with roasts. This Christmas, we had goose and drained a litre of fat off. I'm not quite sure what to with it all. I've kept a jug full for roast potatoes and also for frying eggs and mushrooms in (delicious) but have no idea what to do with the rest or how long it keeps for, seems wasteful to throw it away.

ladygoingGaga Fri 27-Dec-13 16:41:23

Non tester

I always make a turkey pie, with the leftover white and dark meat, frozen veg with a knorr stock pot for added flavour.
Ready made pastry top and in the oven, kids love it.

daisydaisy11 Fri 27-Dec-13 18:51:24

Saw a cooking programme recently where they made a lovely looking snack from leftover sprouts. Just tried it out and it was great -even the non sprout lovers ate it. Basically roughly chopped sprouts mashed with leftover roast potatoes and parsnips. Mix in an egg and shape into a patty. Dust with flour and shallow fry.mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm

NettleTea Fri 27-Dec-13 19:34:30

non tester -
DS has discovered a love of roast beef sandwiches, with salad and horseradish, so there isnt too much of that left now!
Just made a big fish pie with the left overs of salmon from Christmas eve
made a pork stir fry with pork left overs and have frozen the rest. MIL has taken the huge hock bone and trotter to make pea and ham soup, and bones to the dog. I will be boiling the beef ribs for a spicy beef and lentil soup

rockybalboa Fri 27-Dec-13 20:07:16

Non-tester. So far we have had turkey and roast potato curry, turkey and stuffing sandwiches, turkey and stuffing pizza, and have made a giant batch of turkey stock for the freezer. Not used Knorr pots for the leftovers but do use them all the time especially the rich beef ones. I've used both rich and standard beef ones tonight for a traditional beef stew for a meal with visiting family tomorrow. I use the veg ones most often and find them particularly good to flavour cous cous. I wish there were fish stock ones, there aren't are there?

skyeskyeskye Fri 27-Dec-13 20:40:53

1. Which of the Knorr products did you like best and why? the gravy pots because they are so easy to use and make such tasty gravy.

2. What did you make with your Stock Pots, Gravy Pots and Christmas leftovers? turkey soup with all the Christmas Day leftovers and chicken stock. Chuck everything in a large pan, meat, stuffing, sausages, potatoes, veg, apple sauce, gravy, bread sauce. Make up the chicken stock and chuck it in. and just leave to simmer. Thicken up later if necessary with corn flour or gravy granules.

Also made a stew with beef stock and chicken stock and the turkey carcass and some large chopped veg. Very tasty . Again just chucked in a pan and left to simmer all afternoon.

3. Do you think that the Stock Pots helped you use up your Christmas leftovers and minimise waste? If so, why? If not, why not? definitely helped as had a good base to chuck everything into and leave to cook. Very quick and easy.

4. Do you think you’ll use Knorr products more often in the future to use up your leftovers with? If so, why? If not, why not? definitely will use more often to make soup.

5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Knorr Stock Pots as a way to use up your leftovers to friends and family? If so, why? If not, why not? yes I would and my mum was very impressed with both meals.

truckingirl Fri 27-Dec-13 21:54:23

Made turkey with spinach & ricotta pasta bake.
With the stock off the boiled gammon I made pea & ham soup & lentil & bacon soup.
The left over Panettone I made a luxury whiskey flavoured bread & butter pudding

whattoWHO Sat 28-Dec-13 10:50:37

Non tester.
I planned really carefully, so had minimal leftovers.
We had cold meat with bubble & squeak one day. We took some leftover turkey to my sisters the next day too supplement her gammon.
Intrigued by stockpots, would be handy to have around for using with leftover Sunday roast to make up a casserole to take to work for lunch.

Ticktock80 Sat 28-Dec-13 13:13:48

I liked both the gravy and the stock pots. Both are really handy and tasty.

We had beef,chicken and pork and Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I used the veg stock to make a soup with left over veg. They had a good deep favour with blitzed up left over roast veg. Made a cracking soup.
I also made a pie with the chicken gravy and left over chicken. Was very impressed.

3. Do you think that the Stock Pots helped you use up your Christmas leftovers and minimise waste? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes. I would have binned the left over roast veg usually but the pots inspired me to do more. Chicken would usually get picked at but pie was a much better idea!

4. Do you think you’ll use Knorr products more often in the future to use up your leftovers with? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes definitely. They are easy to use and I can throw them at gravy or slow cooker for added flavour.

5. If it came up in conversation, would you recommend Knorr Stock Pots as a way to use up your leftovers to friends and family? If so, why? If not, why not?

I would, and have. The gravy ones make using left over meat really easy to turn into a second meal.

MollyBerry Sat 28-Dec-13 14:45:29

There are a lot of stirfrys going on, but where the stock pots have been used is we made a sauce with teh leftover meat and to flavour it a bit more we put in half a stock pot.

SunshineOnACrappyDay Sat 28-Dec-13 16:22:14

Non-tester here. I'm making a cottage pie (using a rich beef knorr stock pot) tonight.

I'm going to shred leftover sprouts and add them to mashed potato and parsnip for the topping - a kind of 'bubble and squeak' topping.

Bramblesinforrin Sat 28-Dec-13 16:55:28

We are vegetarian and love the knorr veg stock - especially as it is gluten free for dh.

I have bargain carrots (19p for a giant bag) and bargain apples (29p for six). I have made 5 litres of carrots and apple soup using all of these, with the addition of a couple of gently cooked onions, water to cover and a veg stock potlet, then blended the lot.

AnUnearthlyChild Sat 28-Dec-13 19:51:36

Non tester.

We had minimal leftovers. Bubble and squeaked the veg.then froze it 2nr beef sarnies with the roast.

I did use stock pots for soup and stew, but gave up because they are too bloody salty. All I could taste was salt. Which was unfortunate, as I think there was some decent flavour lurking under there somewhere.
A low salt version would be nice, then I could season to my tastes.

JaxTellerIsAllMine Sat 28-Dec-13 19:51:40

I liked both the gravy and the stock pots. Both are really handy and tasty.

We had Turkey on Christmas Day and Boxing Day. I used the veg stock to make a soup with left over veg. They had a good deep flavour with blended roast veg. Made a taty soup.
I also made a sort of stew with the chicken gravy and left over Turkey for DD who hates curry, which was made with a stock pot, various spices and tin of tomatoes and coconut cream.

Yes. I would have binned veggies but knowing that I was a tester for pots made me think about other meals/less waste. Turkey gets stripped and used in curry/pie and we have eaten almost everything.

4. Do you think you’ll use Knorr products more often in the future to use up your leftovers with? If so, why? If not, why not?

Yes definitely. They are easy to use and I can throw them in slow cooker for added flavour.

yes I would, and have. The gravy ones make using left over meat really easy to turn into a second meal. Mentioned to relatives that I was testing and they asked me to let them know if I liked them or not.

Faithless12 Sat 28-Dec-13 19:53:09

We've had turkey sandwiches, salads etc... I decided to use up the rest of the turkey and make turkey noodle soup. Threw in some carrots, leeks, Brussels sprouts, linguine(it's what we had in the cupboard) and a stock pot with cut up chunks of turkey. Went down a storm here.

TheGonnagle Sat 28-Dec-13 20:00:30

Dear Knorr. Why so much salt? It's meant to taste of meat, not salt.
When you make them less salty I might try again.
HTH x

JollySantersSelectionBox Sun 29-Dec-13 03:35:27

Non-testers: How are you using your Christmas leftovers this year? Are you churning out the good old turkey sandwiches or are have you been more inventive?

LEFTOVERS ARE THE BEST PART!

Soup with stock:
Turkey soup - with dark meat, leftover carrots and sweated onion and celery in stock. Dash of milk and stale baguette fried into croutons with turkey dripping.

Pea and ham soup - same method with leftover peas and Christmas ham.

Turkey curry with peppers, onions and mushrooms in a spiced curry stock.

Turkey and ham pie - make a concentrated stock, add cream and chopped meat, with some sauteed leeks and a shop bought puff pastry lid.

Bubble and squeak - mashed up Christmas veg with freshly mashed potato fried in turkey dripping and served with turkey gravy.

Have you used Stock Pots or Gravy Pots before when preparing meals with your leftovers?

Homemade stock for one of the soups by boiling down the turkey carcass. Chicken stock pots for the remainder.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now