This topic is for feedback on Mumsnet product tests. If you'd like test a product on Mumsnet please mail insight@mumsnet.com.

British Red Cross Baby and Child First Aid app feedback thread. NOW CLOSED

(138 Posts)
AnnMumsnet (MNHQ) Fri 22-Nov-13 10:01:11

This thread is for the 250 MNers who have downloaded the British Red Cross Baby and Child First Aid app (available free of charge on iTunes App Store or Google Play for Android).

If you're a tester – once you have downloaded the app and shared/discussed it with your friends, family and/or neighbours – please add your feedback by answering the questions below:

~ What would be your one line summary of the app?

~ How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

~ How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

~ How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?

~ Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?

~ What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?

~ Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent

Please also add a review on the iTunes App Store or Google Play for Android and on the MN app review pages

All MNers who take part and who add feedback as required will be entered into a prize draw where one MNer will win a first aid learning pack from the British Red Cross (consisting of two Baby and Child First Aid gift cards worth up to £120, a first aid manual worth £10.99 and a compact first aid kit worth £10.99.

Thanks and good luck MNHQ

PS: Everyone is – of course – welcome to download the app!
PPS: Tell them your story. British Red Cross always like to hear about how you have used the first aid skills that you have learned or situations that have inspired you to learn first aid. Please email your story to redcrosstraining@redcross.org.uk titled 'My story'

TimeForLunch Sat 23-Nov-13 13:56:06

A handy app to use for first aid reference

~ How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

~ How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

~ How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?

To learn and as reassurance. Probably wouldn't have time in an emergency, but good to know it's there in case

~ Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?

The prepare section is good to read when you have a spare moment so you know what to do in advance. I can't think of anything else needed in this section.

~ What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?

I probably wouldn't use this.

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?

Having read up on what to do in certain situations, yes, I feel I am better prepared.

~ Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?

None I can think of.

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent

flyawayblue Sat 23-Nov-13 16:40:22

Brilliant, possibly life saving app.

I think parents use the app for all of these, as it's a brilliant information resource as well as a quick stop in a crisis.

no

Yes I would use this, is it possible to add the normal immunisations?

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?

Yes

No, quite comprehensive app.

Bakingtins Sat 23-Nov-13 18:42:27

My iPad won't support the app, it says I need IOS6.0 or later. An app only for those with the most up to date gadget?

justflee Sat 23-Nov-13 20:28:36

1. Essential baby/child life saving app

2. 5 - very easy

3. 5 - very easy

4. back up in case of an emergency, useful to refresh memory

5. No, everything is covered in clear easy language.

6. Not something I'd use

7. Reassured me that my existing knowledge was still correct.

8. Can't think of anything

9. 5 - excellent

HoneyDavros Sat 23-Nov-13 21:29:09

Sorry I missed the original email saying I had been accepted and have only found out through the reminder. It went in as spam confused for some reason. Have downloaded it now though and will add feedback ASAP.

EstoyAqui Sun 24-Nov-13 09:12:39

Useful first aid tool for adults.

4 - its annoying if you get a 'wrong' answer that you have to redo the whole section before it takes your answers. Its not very easy to search for a specific issue unless you know what section of first aid it comes under.

4 - the content was easy, simple and succinct. In some instances it felt as though they were being particularly provocative with the answers to prove that previously held ideas were so wrong. It could have belittled a user.

I would use it to revise my knowledge of first aid. It it nice to have a clear concise guide to turn to if in an emergency or worrying situation. As an NHS user in the past it is infuriating to get given different opinions on the same issue. This would support any decision making.

None.

No. I would not use this section.

Yes. It has reinforced my faith in my first aid ability.

4 - It was a great app. I think with a little finessing it could be really useful. I had a specific question regarding a piece of advice on the app regarding visiting hospital for all burns. I was told at a first aid course last year that this was only necessary if the burn was bigger than the palm of a childs hand. Can anyone shed any light?

PervyMuskrat Sun 24-Nov-13 15:25:53

Easy to use and potentially life saving

Reassurance and potentially in an emergency also

Pictures of rashes in typical childhood diseases

Didn't use and probably wouldn't use in the future

Yes

Symptoms of typical childhood diseases

cardamomginger Sun 24-Nov-13 15:32:38

Easy to use and understand- could be essential in a crisis.

In an emergency, as reassurance, to learn and to check understanding.

No.

I see this as less useful, but I still tend to function using bits of paper. This app doesn't tempt me to change that.

Yes. I did a paediatric first aid course not long after I had DD. That was great. This app makes me feel more confident - both because I can test my knowledge and understanding and because the information is there, God forbid, should I need it. I think the videos are particularly helpful. Practising on dummies was useful, as was doing role play (albeit with adults, so less relevant to children), but seeing how these life saving techniques would look in real life is really helpful and clarifies a lot.

One suggestion is that when the app opens, it should immediately open to Emergency. In a crisis, this is what you will need and in a panic, you might not think to find the tab that says emergency.

First aid emergencies for eyes.

I was picked to review this app by MNHQ, I received the product free of charge. These are my own honest opinions

LaraCroftInDisguise Sun 24-Nov-13 15:32:58

Q. What would be your one line summary of the app?
A. Very informative and easy to use.

Q. How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.
A. 5

Q. How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.
A. 5

A. How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?
A. To learn and as reassurance. I would use it in an emergency if I was unable to call for/get help.

Q. Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?
A. I think the section is a very comprehensive guide. I can't think of anything else I would like to see at the moment.

Q. What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?
A. I find this pointless. I know my child's medical needs/doctor's information. Entering it into the app would be of no benefit to me. I don't think anyone else would think to look on my device and in the app in any case of emergency where I was unable to provide this info.

Q. Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?
A. Yes

Q. Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?
A. Not that I can think of.

Q. Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent
A. 5

WingDefence Sun 24-Nov-13 20:02:01

An excellent, comprehensive source of first aid information.

4 - I did use the videos but some of them could be longer. Eg the croup video barely showed the symptoms of croup and it was hard for me to tell what the distinctive cough sounds like.

I particularly liked the prepare and emergency sections so I imagine I'd use those most.

I really appreciated this section and hadn't expected it to be there - I thought it would all be about emergency first aid only. It certainly gave me some good ideas eg putting a first aid kit together as our first aid equipment is spread all over the house.
I can't think of anything missing.

I didn't use it until prompted by this question but I imagine it'd be extremely helpful for people whose children may have specific medication or other health needs.

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency? Absolutely.

Nothing springs to mind.

My only slight negative is that the hospital search function just returned a 'null' result (I did allow it to use my location but it still didn't work).

Nigglenaggle Sun 24-Nov-13 20:30:28

What would be your one line summary of the app?
Good quick access resource

I will definitely use it to prepare for an emergency - you need to have your course of action at the front of your mind to be ready for an emergency. I will also use it to watch out for a practical course in my area I can attend.

The home safety game wouldn't download onto my phone. Would like to see more useable content here.

I dont think I'll use it as my children dont have allergies. It could be expanded to be more of a general health record

A little but I still worry I wouldn't recognise the situation eg choking and take the right course of action. I intend to do a first aid course when one comes up on a suitable date and one of the things I've been most pleased about with the app is that I can search for them - there are a few in my area it seems which health professionals are unaware of (I asked several about a baby first aid course after the birth of my first child)

Drowning - its one of the commonest causes of accidental death and took me a while to find the relevant info

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent 4

CrewElla Sun 24-Nov-13 21:50:24

First aid at your fingertips

How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.
4 - the scrolling could be problematic in an emergency situation

How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.

How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?
I see it as a companion or refresher to a first aid course and I will use it as such. In an emergency I would prefer to have someone else looking at it will performed the first aid.

Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?
No thoughts about anything to add

What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?
Not really - we have our red books and don't feel the need for anything electronic

Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?
I've appreciated the chance to review all the information

Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?
It seems pretty comprehensive, I would like a search tool

Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent
4 - needs a search facility

heyday Sun 24-Nov-13 23:08:47

This is an excellent app which covered all the essentials that most peop,e would ever need. The videos that accompanied the written instructions were very good as it is often easier to follows guidance if a realistic demonstration is given rather than just the written word alone. I do feel that the app contains so much information and therefore looking at the app regularly would be the most beneficial way to learn first aid. Overall I would give this app a 5 star rating.

EverythingIs50YearsWho Sun 24-Nov-13 23:27:25

~ What would be your one line summary of the app

Lifesaving essential information

4~ How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?

To know we're doing the right thing in am emergency, to brush up on skills and to check if we're being given/giving out the right advice.

I think everything is covered there

I think it is a really good idea, but hidden away a bit.

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more
confidentabouthelpingachildinafirstaidemergency?

Definitely, to longevity you're doing it properly and not causing harm is brilliant.

~ Are there any other topics you would like to see
covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?

I think everything is covered, might there began advice section on meeting people with certain disabilities? Say, communicating with a deaf/blind person or assisting someone with a physical disability?

~ Overall

what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent

5 r

First Aid information for babies and children

To refresh learning. I don't think it could or should replace real first aid training but it's useful and helpful to have.

I like the link to buy a first aid kit.

I would probably not use this as I wouldn't want important health info saved on my phone in case of loss/theft.

Yes

Perhaps links to more detailed content where you could read up further on illnesses etc.

4 - I think it is about as good as a first aid app could be

telsa Mon 25-Nov-13 11:11:31

Concise advice and training app for first aid for babies and children

~ How do you think you and other parents would use it –
to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?

learning, testing understanding, feeling confident should predictable situations arise. It really does take one through things clearly.

It was very clear. It helps if one already has experience or previous training - because it refreshes information very quickly. I think it does also demonstrate what one should do pretty well in the videos, nicely reinforced by text.

I might have used this if I had had it from my children's birth. Now seems a little late - they are 5 and 8. I think it is quite a useful function, though does seem to take things beyond the realm of First Aid. Could perhaps be usefully linked to nursery and school incidents somehow.

I do feel more confident. I have watched the videos and read text and had a good exposure to calm and useful action.
Hospital finder could be really useful if away from home.

I would like to see an adult oriented one! My DD (8) was absolutely fascinated by it. She has watched it all numerous times and taken all the tests. I actually think that one specifically oriented to children could be really useful. She takes it very seriously and is really learning about aid and the body.
Could there be something about after-care or what happens next. Ending frequently with phone 999 is fair enough, but it might be helpful to know what the paramedics or hospital will need to do.

4 stars

Uzma01 Mon 25-Nov-13 11:49:07

Absolutely essential information for all parents & carers

~ How easy or difficult do you find the app to use?

~ How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid?

Primarily to learn the information, use the quizzes to check recall & have the reassurance of knowing the information is at hand should panic ensue!

No, seems quite comprehensive as it is. A useful way to categorise the information for easier retrieval.

It's very useful, so if the worst happens - at least you won't have to bring the red book with you to the hospital

With a bit more usage, I'd say yes. At the moment - I'm finding it hard to recall most things.

No, I think it covers all the major areas of concern when it comes to kids health.

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app?
5 stars

Georgethesmartestgiant Mon 25-Nov-13 13:00:36

Very easy to use, helpful and informative

How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy

How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy

How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc? To prepare and learn, in an emergency I would to go straight to hospital, but if I was in an unfamiliar area would use to app to locate a hospital

Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there?
Seems very easy to use and quick to find the information you want

What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here?
In all honesty I would probably not use it. I would be too worried about having should sensitive information stored through an app

Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?
Not at the moment but maybe in future

Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?
Not that I can think of

Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent

HellsBellsnBucketsofBlood Mon 25-Nov-13 13:10:51

Handy tool for quick and clear advice in an emergency.

To learn in advance how to react to some emergencies (choking/unconscious child) and to have a quick and easy 'how to' guide for all other issues.

I'd like a section on animal related injuries (stings and dog bites, for example).

I wouldn't use this because I don't like putting DD's data in records I am not sure I have total control over. In any event, I would be around to answer any questions, and if I am not then I wouldn't expect anyone to be able to get into my telephone anyway.

Yes

I'm really pleased with this app. Only real downside that I could find was that there does not appear to be a search function - so if you want to quickly look up a specific topic (e.g. insect stings) and it is not an 'emergency' situation, it can be quite hard to find what you want.

AlmaMartyr Mon 25-Nov-13 13:13:21

Instant first aid advice in your pocket

I've already used it to learn. I think I'd use it in a minor emergency to figure out what was going on/seek reassurance/find out what I should be doing. In a desperate emergency I probably wouldn't think about it.

Seems pretty good.

I probably wouldn't use it. I don't have a very secure phone and I would worry about potentially sensitive information being on there if I lost it. I remember most stuff about the kids pretty accurately anyway.

Yes, a bit. I generally know what to do, but I like having it so easy to access.

Nothing comes to mind.

serendipity1980 Mon 25-Nov-13 13:28:58

~ My summary: An easy to use first aid app from the Red Cross.

~ 5 - all very easy to access

~ 4 - it was easy, and made even easier because I went on a first aid course last week, for everyday first aid and the Red Cross trainer told us about the app!

~ I think people would use it as a refresher, to update your knowledge. It could be used in an emergency too e.g. I find it hard remembering how to hold your head for a nose bleed, so this would be a very useful tool.

~ Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there? No, nothing else!

~ What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here? I think it is useful, especially for child minders, but probably not something I'd use myself because I only have two children and they don't have any health issues yet. I would probably use it though if they needed regular medication for something like asthma etc.

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency? Yes it has, I have a quick, easy tool to help me give the right first aid.

~ Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections? No.

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent 5 stars- I think it's really good and I've deleted some of my old first aid apps because this is better.

hydra234 Mon 25-Nov-13 15:33:29

hat would be your one line summary of the app? - a fantastic idea that could save lives

~ How easy or difficult do you find the app to use? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.- 5, without a doubt

~ How easy or difficult did you find the content to learn first aid? Please indicate a number between 1 and 5 where 1 is difficult and 5 is very easy.- 5, a child could use it

~ How do you think you and other parents would use it – to prepare, to learn, to test understanding, in an emergency, as reassurance, etc?- in all of those cases. I found myself just glancing through it here and there, little things that you think you know but don't are made clear.

~ Any thoughts you have around the 'Prepare' content – anything else you’d like to see in there? - I felt it was all there as there is only so much you can be prepared!

~ What about the child record section? What did you think about this? Is this something you would use? Anything else you’d like to see here? i think its an excellent idea, would it be possible to add the childs nhs number maybe?

~ Has downloading and using the app made you feel more confident about helping a child in a first aid emergency?- without a doubt. I shared it on fb with local Mums pages and all the family.

~ Are there any other topics you would like to see covered in the 'Learn' or 'Emergency' sections?-none that i can think of.

~ Overall what star rating would you give the app? Please say where 1 star = poor and 5 stars = excellent- 5 without fail

FishfingersAndCustardSnax Mon 25-Nov-13 18:58:09

Good for learning and reviewing existing knowledge.

To prepare and learn. Also to test understanding.

Looks like everything is covered

It is useful but all the info would be in the child's red book. People are more likely to have their phone to hand than their red book though.

It's certainly given me a refresher on my knowledge and has increased my confidence this way.

Not that I can think of, looks pretty comprehensive.

LemonJues Mon 25-Nov-13 20:12:51

First aid tips at your fingertips (literally!)

I think mainly to prepare, test understanding and for reassurance. I'm not sure many parents would necessarily refer to it when facing an emergency but will have learnt from the app beforehand, so will know what to do when facing a first aid issue.

I doubt I would use this section, really. However, I used it for the sake of testing it out and one thing I would like to see added is more than 1 emergency contact details. I would have liked to be able to put down my husband and mother in laws contact details as my M-I-L looks after my little one quite a lot.

Yes

I would like a video clip of what the meningitis rash glass beaker test looks like. I don't think it is difficult to find a clip of what a meningitis/septicaemia rash looks like when a glass beaker is pressed over the spots and would be reassuring to the parents doing the test. As they say, a picture says a thousand words, so would a video clip!
Also, in the section about broken bones, I think it would be useful to know what to do ifthe bone breaks through the skin ie. there is bleeding as well as a broken bone.

5. I am quite impressed with the app. Good work, Red Cross!

Nigglenaggle Mon 25-Nov-13 20:24:13

Having just watched my toddler pour water on a connected plug socket, thankfully without electrocuting himself or setting the house on fire, I would like to see 'electrocution' added to the emergency list!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now